SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#186841 - 06/16/03 08:06 AM Calling PSR2100 owners!
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Does anyone yet own a PSR2100, if so please contact me by email as we are looking for a review of this new keyboard.

Regards
Simon

------------------

forum.svpworld.com - No adverts, No spam, No nonsense!
share your music, get help and advice, make new friends!

#186842 - 06/16/03 09:40 AM Re: Calling PSR2100 owners!
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin

#186843 - 06/16/03 04:10 PM Re: Calling PSR2100 owners!
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Unfortunately, George's review is not as intricate as maybe Simon wanted. George has not had enough time to go over the PSR 2100 in greater detail because he just received his shipment only just a few days ago. Besides that he just sold his last PSR 2000 so to do an intricate side by side comparison against the PSR 2100 is no longer possible. If I am wrong about you selling your last PSR 2000 George, let me/us know.

There was a member by the name of David that has a PSR 2100 that he purchased a couple of weeks ago but he cannot give a comparison review because he is not familiar with the PSR 2000 or Tyros having never played the Tyros and he played the PSR 2000 only briefly. I think we scared him away from the forum with all of our relentless questions about his PSR 2100. I called my local GC which, btw, is the 3rd busiest GC in the Nation and they have not received the PSR 2100 yet. As many have already noticed it is not on Music123.com, Musiciansfriend.com or Zzounds.com. They have it over at Synthplanet.com but of course that is located in Europe and Yamaha will not Warranty it if it is shipped to the USA. That's what I've heard anyway. I can bet that George has already sold out of his stock too.

This reminds me of the Tyros situation. Where the Tyros just "trickled" into retail outlets causing much consternation amongst those that purchased it on order and those wanting to check it out. Yamaha seems to take its own sweet time with getting its products to the public. I think much has to do with marketing strategy where they are trying to intrigue the consumer and also entice the public by all of the waiting, baiting, commotion, hype, and mystery. I guess they don't realise they might lose more customers than they gain by doing it that way. Some people may tend to get disgusted with how Yamaha delays its product releases and other questionable marketing tactics and because of it head for the nearest Manufacturer that caters more to the consumer's wants and needs instead of one that does just the opposite.

I am not mad; I just want Yamaha to know how I (and I suspect many, many others) feel in regards to this issue "and other issues" and there sometimes shoddy and questionable business pratices.

Yikes!!! I've probably done it this time. I've gone too far over the line I suppose and Steve Deming will probably hate me the rest of his life. Oh well, I just try to tell it how I see it even if I have to step on some toes in the process. If nobody spoke up and said a thing about this or about anything for that matter, I reckon nothing would EVER get done or changed for the better. So here is the lesson: Speak Up!!! and let your voice be heard. Before you speak up though make sure you have something to say.

Best regards,
Mike

#186844 - 06/16/03 05:01 PM Re: Calling PSR2100 owners!
Beakybird Offline

I should be receiving a PSR2100 by the end of the week. As you all know, I play the PSR2000 every day for a living. I will do a side by side comparison and make a review. The review should be pretty easy. We know that this much is the same:

1. The weight (1 oz. difference).
2. The buttons.
3. The styles, except for about 25 new styles (most already on the CVP209 and Tyros).
4. The operating system. The only difference I have heard about is being able to recall unsaved registrations when you turn off the keyboard.
5. The voices except for 19 new voices.
6. The speakers (If the new speakers were any better the keyboard would weigh more).
7. The LCD screen.
8. The music stand.
9. The inputs and outputs except for the USB.

The questions to ask will be:

1. How good are these new voices? (People who upgraded from the PSR2000 to the Tyros already know).
2. Have any of the regular panel voices been improved? Yamaha claimed this about the Tyros when it first came out, but I haven't heard anything to this effect.
3. Have the internal styles been reworked with the new voices?
4. Is the vocalizer any better. Yamaha claims improvement.
5. Are there any changes to the ability to manipulate the organ sounds? Yamaha claims that the ability to change footage is new, but it is not.
6. What can be done with the USB and its software? As an owner of the HDM, I would be like to be able to write to the floppy drive because I, in effect, have 81 floppy drives on my PSR2000.

One disappointment: According to the PSR2100 manual, a floppy comes with the keyboard, but it is blank. There are no new styles on it. So the PSR2000 actually comes with more styles if you include the floppy that comes with it.

A deception: Yamaha's website states that the PSR2100 has 50% more wave rom than the PSR9000. This is not true. They both have the same amount of wave rom according to their specs.

I will keep you updated.

Beakybird

#186845 - 06/16/03 05:48 PM Re: Calling PSR2100 owners!
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I just shipped out a new PSR2100 today to Joe Waters of PSRTutorial. If you don't know about Joe's site, he has developed a web site dedicated to using the PSR2000 and it has developed also into Tyros help as well, and now, with Joe owning a PSR2100 he would be a great one to do a side by side comparison in detail for you.
Also, Yamaha has PSR2100 keyboards available in stock as of today. I have sold all of my first shipment as of 5PM today and I called and ordered more from Yamaha and they are in stock in Buena Park, California.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#186846 - 06/16/03 08:21 PM Re: Calling PSR2100 owners!
Beakybird Offline

I concur with George. Joe would also be able to make an excellent evaluation.

Beakybird

#186847 - 06/16/03 09:58 PM Re: Calling PSR2100 owners!
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
Beakybird, your summary of the differences above seems to be right on. I agree with all of your observations. I really am looking forward to Wednesday, when my 2100 is due in. I will have both machines, at least for awhile, and will be able to make some comparisons. But, with all of your performing experience on the 2000, I expect you will be able to supply some terrific insights into the new keyboard when yours arrives, so don't hesitate a second to give us all your evaluation. I will surely steal it and put it up on the psrtutorial site along with George's first comments. I hope that, between the two of us, we may be able to lift some of the clouds of uncertainty about the new 2100.

#186848 - 06/17/03 12:35 AM Re: Calling PSR2100 owners!
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
"Yamaha seems to take its own sweet time with getting its products to the public."

I wouldn't be too hard on Yamaha.
Name another brand that gives you the same number of arrangers to choose from. What has Roland done lately, or Technics, GEM or any ohther brand. Nothing or very little. So the fact that they put out a teaser and are a little late with delivery is a minor issue, if any at all!

------------------
Roy-Andrč

#186849 - 06/17/03 02:54 AM Re: Calling PSR2100 owners!
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Its not about how many arrangers a company puts out.....its all about how good is a companies customer support is after you have made your purchase.
The top company from my experience has been Roland UK. They have a Product Support Email where questions gets answered within the same day or the following day. Yamaha. Korg. Technics do not appear to provided this email support. It obviously varies in different countries depending on the distribution.
Roland,Korg should be applauded because they do not change their models every year just to get us to buy the latest thing.
Both Roland & Korg are this summer launching new arrangers.

Graham UK

#186850 - 06/17/03 03:18 AM Re: Calling PSR2100 owners!
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
I disagree that it is all about the support from the company. To me the most important thing is sounds, styles, build, basically HOW the board IS. I don't buy a keyboard based on what if's but on what is.
I've had Yamaha keyboards the last four years, and I can't put my finger on any lack or need for support for that matter.
By the way, any romors regarding those arrangers?
Seems very quiet if they are soon to be released...

------------------
Roy-Andrč

[This message has been edited by royandreno (edited 06-17-2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online