SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#18673 - 09/05/99 02:18 PM X5 Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I have attempted to switch the power on to my X5 after a couple of months inactivity I found that I didn't get anything showing on the LCD. I checked the transformer and found that there was no power coming from that so I've borrowed another transformer which I know works and still the power has not come on the instrument.
The manual gives no clues and so I would be grateful for any help as to what to do next (other than take it to the dealer) is there a fuse inside the instrument which might have blown and if so what could have caused it to blow.

Many thanks

Scouse

#18674 - 09/06/99 12:14 AM Re: X5 Help
WS Offline

I know how stupid and idiotic this sounds but did you plug the X5 into a wall socket that you know is working?

#18675 - 09/06/99 04:11 AM Re: X5 Help
Ward Music Offline

Loc: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Be very careful about using any non-Korg replacement adapter. You MUST have the correct voltage, polarity and the adapter must be able to supply at least as much current as the original Korg unit.

Try testing this new adapter to see if it producing power. If not, check the power bar.

The coaxial power jack of the X5 is prone to damage from tripping over the cord, pulling on the cord at an angle, storing the keyboard with the cable attached, etc. Try wiggling the adapter's jack in the socket of the X5 with the power turned on. Watch the screen as you do this. If you get brief moments of power, you've hosed the jack. An overly loose jack(the black plastic square surrounding the round hole) is a sure sign of contact breakage. Take the unit to your local Korg service center. This is a cheap repair ($20 - $40).

If it's the adapter that's toast, replace it with a genuine Korg adapter if you still have a warranty on the keyboard. Any problems created by a generic adapter are not covered by Korg's warranty.

Steve Martin
Ward Music Ltd.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online