Terry and Eddie

Well-put guys! Great analysis of a fabulous
form of musical expression!

Best regards,

Russ

#186429 - 01/07/04 09:55 AM Re: The World of Jazz
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Chord structure is not exactly what makes jazz. Many pop tunes of different decades incorporate all of the chords of jazz also. However what Terry says is correct there are superimposed chords over the main chord. Which would be like the 9th, 11th, 13th which really is like playing a Cm over a Bb chord. This way of thinking is the way it fits my brain and simplifies it for me.

Jazz also makes use of the IIm7 chord before the V7 chord in many but not all cases. In Jazz many songs and most of the blues progressions use the dominant m7th and then the tonic 7 before resolving to the IV chord.

Example: In Bb before going to the Eb chord, you would play a Fm7 then a Bb7 then make the change to the Eb chord instead of just hanging on to the Bb chord and adding the 7th to the Bb before going to the Eb chord.

There are also many flated 5th (Cm7-5) etc used in jazz. Many of these chord changes are also used in pop tunes. Any tune can be Jazz. The chord changes to "I'm Walking The Floor Over You" could really swing in a Jazz environment.

I know most of you here know all of this. But, I hope it helps the ones who have problems with trying to decipher what is the difference in jazz and other types of music.

To me, Jazz is a well structured chord chart. Everyone knowing exactly where each chord change is and agreeing on what passing chord should be use to resolve to the next major chord change. Also, all of the chord substitutions should be agreed upon.

With all of this said, to me what really sets Jazz apart from other types of music is improvisation. It's really a thrill to know where the melody is with someone like Dexter Gordon, McCoy Tyner, Sonny Rollins and such playing everything but the melody on any given tune. Of course you must be familiar with the tune and listen closely to the chord changes to know where the melody is at any particular time of the tune in progress.

Most Jazz artist will play the melody for one chorus and then each member will then improvise for one or several choruses and then return to the melody for one chorus and then end the tune. That's why some tunes are very long. Each member is usally listening intently to the other artist to see if he can learn something.

Also the way the rhythm section adds kicks and licks here and there and particularly the way the soloist changes the rhythm of the licks he plays on his solo. Many excel in playing the solo with a counter rhythm to what the rhythm section plays.

It's a never ending school from which I know of no one ever graduating.

I personally wish I could play this way. I do standards and improvise but in no way can do it anywhere near as fast and clean as I'd like to. I enjoy what I do on bouncy tempos. I really enjoy seeing if I can copy the greats on some of their easier licks. And that can be fun also.

I'm a weird jazz fan. I'm not too far gone so that I cannot enjoy Beer for My Horses and Drinking Champagne. Hope I spelled Champagne right. I just enjoy good music.

If you want to be enlightened about how to improvise in jazz, order from Jamie Abersold the publication by Bunky Greene. It is explained in the simplest way possibe in my opinion about the art of improvisation.

[This message has been edited by brickboo (edited 01-07-2004).]

#186430 - 01/07/04 10:08 AM Re: The World of Jazz
trtjazz Offline

Here's a great jazz site for any interested: http://www.apassion4jazz.net/progressions2.html
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#186431 - 01/07/04 12:17 PM Re: The World of Jazz
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Brickboo...you have really showed an admirable understanding of the facinating
music loosely called "jazz". The fact that you and other members know of Jamie (I met him in the early 60's in New Albany, Indiana) and have referenced the work of the "jazz gods" in your post tells me that pulling off jazz improvisational performances would be a "piece of cake", given the right situation.and the chance to develop. I'm lucky to be a part of a group that does just that. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of work, and several of the other players are like great jazz musicians of the past...drugs...alcohol problems...poverty, etc.The big question is...is it worth it? In the early 60's, Ray Brown introduced me to mnny of the guys playing in jazz clubs in L.A.like the ones you rferenced. Except for Ray, who was a lifelong hero to me, most were bitter, broken men. Ray said, "if you dedicate your life to playing jazz, you will probably play yourself OUT of a job!" Jazz players get so far into their craft that they blame the public for not understanding and appreciating their work. The average listener hasn't spent 10 hours a day for 15 years learning the fine points of the art form. Appreciating jazz is an acquired taste.

A lot of what makes a great jazz musician is
appreciation of the form and "attitude". It may not be the right decision for any of us to play jazz to the exclusion of all other
(better paying) types of music.

But when it comes to attitude and understanding, you, Terry and Eddie have NAILED IT!

Best regards.

Russ

#186432 - 01/07/04 02:32 PM Re: The World of Jazz

...been a long time since I was a "junior"
anything....hey, I'm only 57 1/2 years old..anyone want to adopt me?

captain Russ
"junior member"

#186433 - 01/07/04 07:34 PM Re: The World of Jazz
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Russ,

If you're wanting to make a living playing Jazz forget it. But even when playing for peanuts it's a gass to see a reputable musician standing in the corner with a big smile on his face. Especially if he comes up and tells you he digs your sound, playing or whatever.

A couple of locals here play that smooth jazz and fusion stuff. It's 99% rhythm. No melody no head, just 2 or 3 minor chords back and forth. You can listen to a tune or so, and you'll notice that the second one is almost identical to the first tune.

You can leave and come back 2 hours later and it sounds like they are still playing the same 2 tunes.

Jazz is played for the enjoyment mostly. Pop is played for fun and the money. That's why I bought this keyboard to sing and play for a few bucks and also get to play my jazz standards.

I still can't play the fast guitar lick on the keyboard for "Beer for My Horses". Ha! Ha! Go figure. It's a tricky lick to play correctly.

#186434 - 01/08/04 12:39 PM Re: The World of Jazz

brickboo...

We're on the same page. The jazz community is a close-knit one. Appreciation from a like-minded player is the highest form of a compliment.Playing soft jazz using an arranger as a single "ain't" quite as satisfying, but it sure beats not playing at all.

Russ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online