SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#186054 - 06/21/07 05:56 AM Re: More PSR3000 problems
Dnj Offline

Zuki now your talking my language.....Ive felt your above sentiments for 40 years my friend.....(and that's before arrangers )

------------------

Donny

“ Choose a job you Love, and you will Never have to Work a day in your life! ”

#186055 - 06/21/07 02:39 PM Re: More PSR3000 problems
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
My PSR3000 power supply has failed twice, in both cases it was the low voltage wire failing within 2 inches of the power supply brick. Once you have found the single screw beneath the Yamaha info sticker the supply comes apart quite easily. Chopping and resoldering the low voltage wire is then quite easy.

Thankfully both failures were indicated by intermittent connection when the wires moved so I never suffered a catastrophic sudden mid-gig power loss situation.

#186056 - 06/21/07 02:57 PM Re: More PSR3000 problems
Beakybird Offline

MacAllcock: Which wire is the low voltage wire? I would prefer to repair this pwoer supply rather than spend $90 on a new one.

It sounds like the G70 is a great board. But I need to have two identical boards. That way, I can edit and create files on my office keyboard and transfer them to the keyboard I keep in my car.

Two G70s would be too expensive for me, and I could not imagine lugging a G70 into my home and back to my car every day to go from home to gigs.

The PSR3000 is a good compromise. Too bad it isn't more sturdy.

Beakybird

#186057 - 06/25/07 07:37 AM Re: More PSR3000 problems
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Sorry about the delay!

The low voltage wire is the one going off to the keyboard. On my PA300 the high-voltage cable is detachable and comes in via a 2 pin connector. If you are looking at the label on the power supply with the bold font YAMAHA at the top, then the high-tension volts come in at the top and the low tension wire goes out at the bottom.

The screw that you need to remove is somewhere beneath the "MA" in yaMAha, you can just feel the indentation that marks the hole. Use a skinny cross-head screwdriver to remove the screw, or if you are unlucky it will be a torx "hexagonal star" screw instead. Having removed the screw, to open the housing you have to SLIDE the two halves apart lengthways (I cant remember which bit slides which way but there are hooks on one part at the low-tension end and if you try to prise the two halves apart you could break the hooks so take some care here). The grommet is also responsible for a little resistance as well, just to make things slightly awkward.

The low tension wire is soldered to the circuit board, the wire is coded with a white stripe so make a note (or take a picture?) before unsoldering. I think the wire pulls through the grommet so you can drag some fresh wire through, reterminate and do a neat job.

I just hope this is your problem, if you smell burnt plastic when you open the casing then you may have something more serious which I have not encountered (yet).

#186058 - 06/25/07 09:01 AM Re: More PSR3000 problems
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
Maybe I'll get a hard case for my next keyboard.

After these experiences... it shouldn't be a MAYBE. At least, not if you don't want the same thing to happen again!

Build quality has little to do with it. If you transport any keyboard on a daily basis in an inadequate case, sooner or later bad things happen. I use an ATA for my G70, despite the extra weight. I used the same case on my G1000 for eight years. I sold it (the G1000) in virtually showroom condition, and got back most of my investment.

A good well-fitting case is your passport to reliable equipment, and trouble free gigs...

#186059 - 06/25/07 10:58 AM Re: More PSR3000 problems
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
That is just about the only sensible thing I've heard Diki say...

#186060 - 06/25/07 11:49 AM Re: More PSR3000 problems
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

That's awfully sweet of you Fran...

#186061 - 06/25/07 11:59 AM Re: More PSR3000 problems
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:

Ok, Fran, now it's your turn (to say something sensible) .

chas

#186062 - 06/25/07 01:56 PM Re: More PSR3000 problems
zuki Offline

Quote:

You're just being nice because he mentioned G1000

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#186063 - 06/25/07 04:20 PM Re: More PSR3000 problems
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:

Chas I already did!!!!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online