SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#185917 - 09/19/06 06:49 PM Do you know of people who don't use their Tyros2 for professional purposes?
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Hello.

I am curious about if there are people who own a Tyros 2 and don't use it for professional purposes.

I just watched Mr. Vonken's video and it left me with the imprassion that the cost of T2 is not justified if you don't have M. Vonken's playing skill (or close to his).

I can't believe this keyboard is targeted to hobbyist musicians. I, as a hobbyist, would love to have one but its price (4000 EUR) is not justified provided that I won't use it to make money.

So?

George

#185918 - 09/19/06 07:15 PM Re: Do you know of people who don't use their Tyros2 for professional purposes?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
George I would think most owners are home players.

#185919 - 09/19/06 07:17 PM Re: Do you know of people who don't use their Tyros2 for professional purposes?
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
George: There are lots of non-pro T2 players. If the T2 was primarily for the pro market it would have 76 keys or more. The nice thing about the T2 is it has the ability to have the amateur enjoy the instrument yet it has the capacity for the more accomplished musician to be inspired by it as well.

Want to see some amateur players? Check out:
http://www.psrtutorial.com/P/Lauzon.html

http://www.psrtutorial.com/P/Radford.html

http://www.psrtutorial.com/P/Hall.html

http://www.psrtutorial.com/P/PZ.html

[This message has been edited by RobertG (edited 09-19-2006).]

#185920 - 09/20/06 03:49 AM Re: Do you know of people who don't use their Tyros2 for professional purposes?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
George,

You bring up a great point. I personally don't think you can put a price on the joy and happiness you can get from playing music.

And as a life long musician, I have endured the lean years of not having enough money to buy good equipment and instead having to play on poor or mediocre rigs. All this while raising 3 kids and establishing my career. Now that I have achieved some level of success, I have vowed to not deny myself any longer and only get the best equipment I could reasonably afford; whether I need it or not. I paid my dues and it's now time to reap the rewards of a hard fruitful life. The joy I get out of playing this equipment more than makes up for the years of toiling and hard work.

But hey, that's just my view from a different prespective.

------------------
Al Giordano
www.al-giordano.com

Tyros 2, Yamaha P-250, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#185921 - 09/20/06 04:58 AM Re: Do you know of people who don't use their Tyros2 for professional purposes?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
George, since your laments about the 23 year old girl, I have to assume you are one of the younger members of this board (although not necessarily ). The majority of the people on this board and the arranger market in general, is typically in an age group that can more easily make these kinds of purchases without the need for financial justification. The guy driving a 300k Bently doesn't need to use it as a taxi to justify it's purchase.

chas

#185922 - 09/20/06 05:27 AM Re: Do you know of people who don't use their Tyros2 for professional purposes?
George V Offline

Quote:
George, since your laments about the 23 year old girl, I have to assume you are one of the younger members of this board (although not necessarily )
I am 28.

So, am I to expect that when I reach your age I'll have enough desposable money to get top-of-the-line equipment?

I am looking forward to becoming a man of age.

Regards,
George

[This message has been edited by George V (edited 09-20-2006).]

#185923 - 09/20/06 06:04 AM Re: Do you know of people who don't use their Tyros2 for professional purposes?
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
George,

If you would like a Tyros and can comfortably aford one then why not? Yes, I am sure a player like Vonken can get more out of the instrument than the average Joe but that is true about any instrument and any expert I imagine.

#185924 - 09/20/06 07:02 AM Re: Do you know of people who don't use their Tyros2 for professional purposes?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by George V:

So, am I to expect that when I reach your age I'll have enough desposable money to get top-of-the-line equipment?
---------------------------------------
ONLY IF YOU STAY SINGLE .

I am looking forward to becoming a man of age.
BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR.

chas

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 09-20-2006).]

#185925 - 09/20/06 07:12 AM Re: Do you know of people who don't use their Tyros2 for professional purposes?
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
George

I don't own a Tyros but have other musical toys. I'm strictly a hobbyist, I go without a lot of other things so I can indulge in my toys. It really is a matter of priorities for some folks. I can think of very few things that give me more relaxation or satisfaction then playing an instrument. I can't play for beans but that doesn't stop me from loving it.

Jerry

#185926 - 09/20/06 09:55 AM Re: Do you know of people who don't use their Tyros2 for professional purposes?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by W Tracy Parnell:
George,

If you would like a Tyros and can comfortably aford one then why not? Yes, I am sure a player like Vonken can get more out of the instrument than the average Joe but that is true about any instrument and any expert I imagine.

... as I am sure Dale Earnhardt Jr. could get a lot more out of driving a high end sports car than I would ... but that wouldn't stop me from driving the sports car ....
t.

#185927 - 09/20/06 01:19 PM Re: Do you know of people who don't use their Tyros2 for professional purposes?
kla4 Offline

Loc: NL
George,

As already said, the Tyros2 is developed for home use. It's the fantastic quality of sounds and styles, the great keyfeel and features + the ease of use that make pro's want one (or two)

At the monthly Oostendorp workshops for Tyros2-owners with >80 (!) visitors, I think only 10% of them uses a Tyros2 on stage (as a hobby) and perhaps 2% plays music for PROfession.

Have a look at http://www.t-2.nl/ tab 'workshops' and 'hier'

btw. The average T2 price isn't 4000 Euros anymore... but 3500 Euros.

If you want one : GO FOR IT!! (you won't regret it)

[This message has been edited by kla4 (edited 09-20-2006).]

#185928 - 09/20/06 02:58 PM Re: Do you know of people who don't use their Tyros2 for professional purposes?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi George,
I would imagine the majority of T2 owners would be hobbyists.
Some of the functions on these keyboards wouldn't be required by a professional musician and it possibly lacks some that pro's would consider useful.

As you're aware I'm only a hobbyist, I've actually lost count of the number of keyboards , synths ,piano's I've had over the years. It's just that, my hobby
(obbessions probably a better word).

They market them well, lead us to beleive with the latest new keyboard even a humble hobbyist can sound like a pro. May work for some, but in my case , I'll just have to keep spending more & more & more....

You can't buy true talent, but it's great to delude myself that one can.

Spared hubby the cost of the T2 ( settled for a PSR1500 ), but no doubt when the PSR3100 or T3 hits the market, the heart will start racing again. haa haa

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by George V:
[B]Hello.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#185929 - 09/20/06 03:22 PM Re: Do you know of people who don't use their Tyros2 for professional purposes?
MrEd Offline

I know piano hobbyists with $5000 to $8000 pianos.

I've seen people pay that much for their 7 to 10 year child who is only a student

The Yamaha Claninova type instruments are more money and i'll bet that many of those players are hobbyists, the same with the console organ players ...

or are they lugging those pieces of musical furniture out to their gigs

#185930 - 09/20/06 03:27 PM Re: Do you know of people who don't use their Tyros2 for professional purposes?
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
George,
I sat with a friend and I told him that I wanted a special new bicycle but I did not know if I would use it a enough to justify buying it.

He answered, “John, if I wanted that bike I would get it even if it stayed in the middle of the living room not being used”.

It’s funny how some of us treat ourselves. My opinion -- If the means is there you should have a Ty2.

I am almost out of the pro playing business and I just bought a Tyros 2.
I may never use it on stage.

John C.

#185931 - 09/20/06 06:19 PM Re: Do you know of people who don't use their Tyros2 for professional purposes?
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
If I was to label myself anything musically it would be.............I am a "music appreciator"!! I am by no means anything close to professional, yet music is (has) always been a main focal point in my life. Tyros2 is the most expensive keyboard I have ever owned. It took a lot of hard work to afford it, as I am not rich. It IS the right instrument for me, for it has provided more pure pleasure than any other instrument I can play. For an average Joe (Charley) like me to have such a top of the line, state of the art, instrument in my modest home beats it all!! The sounds I can make from it is worth it all....................... -charley

#185932 - 09/20/06 10:44 PM Re: Do you know of people who don't use their Tyros2 for professional purposes?
George V Offline

Ladies and Gentlement,

It is the first time since I started participating on the Zone when I've agreed with every one of you.

Well, I admit I am not geared towards a Tyros 2 because I need something with 88 keys - it will probably be a synthesizer.

Wish you many happy hours playing your keyboards.

Regards,
George

[This message has been edited by George V (edited 09-20-2006).]

#185933 - 09/21/06 08:16 PM Re: Do you know of people who don't use their Tyros2 for professional purposes?
MarcK Offline

I find it hard to accept that it is specifically TARGETED towards a home audience - if so, it should have built-in speakers.

[This message has been edited by MarcK (edited 09-21-2006).]

#185934 - 09/21/06 11:00 PM Re: Do you know of people who don't use their Tyros2 for professional purposes?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Marck
Here in the UK (Where a lot of Tyros 2 was designed and voiced) the Tyros has always been geared towards the home market, (The Motif range are geared towards professionals) also most uses of high end arrangers in the UK were already purchasing separate speaker systems to improve the sound of there instrument, so internal speakers were no longer a critical requirement.
Hope this helps.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online