SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#185805 - 07/21/05 04:30 AM Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
At last I own a Tyros. Wow. This keyboard astounds me each time I play it. The styles are so versatile and I can play quiet a few songs with each style. On my previous VA-5 I disliked nearly all the internal styles and had to rely on styles from older Roland keyboards. This tyros is just incredible. The styles put away all Roland arrangers including the G70. Its SOOO EASY to use. I didnt read the manual. I love the way you create folders to store your settings. Its like a computer. Heck my VA5 didnt have fade in/fade out....on the tyros you can choose how long you want the keyboard to take to fade out. That was awesome. The sounds on the Tyros are FANTASTIC...the best I've ever heard... and the effects section on the Tyros is mindblowing.... Its sounds and effects blow away the competition in my opinion. My friends felt the same way. They too heard my VA5 but when they heard the Tyros they said I should have bought this keyboard originally instead of the VA5. My friend in Pretoria used to play a G1000 and he didnt release a single CD with that keyboard. With his new Tyros he cut 6 Cd's in 3 months and is working on another one. He has become the most requested singer on Lotus FM ( A South african radio station) ever since he switched to Tyros. I really honestly do believe the Tyros is the best keyboard out there...especially since I got mine for $1500 WITH THE SPEAKERS AND STAND. It was an incredible deal. The keyboard is 6 months old and is practically brand new still.

The Tyros screen is the best.The design of the keyboard is a work of art. and YES I am very pleased with the keyfeel and key size...It didnt make a difference to me...

Multi pads are a fantastic bonus

THANK YOU YAMAHA......LEAD THE WAY!!!!

ps: I play indian music mostly..and so does my friend from pretoria

#185806 - 07/21/05 05:01 AM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Roel Offline

Congrats with your Tyros !!
I had/still have the same feeling ..... an incredible machine indeed.

Now I'm waiting for my TYROS-2

#185807 - 07/21/05 05:48 AM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Congratualtions on your new Tyros. If you hear of anyone else selling one for $1500 be sure to let us know, what a deal!!

#185808 - 07/21/05 06:36 AM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
congratulations rolandfan,i,m really glad you have a keyboard that you are really happy with,there,s nothing worse than having buyers remorse,this should encourage you to start producing some first class music,mike

#185809 - 07/21/05 06:46 AM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Dnj Offline

You made a wise choice for sure Congrats!!
Now you have to change your moniker to "TYROSFAN" hehehehe

#185810 - 07/21/05 07:03 AM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Congrats with your Tyros.
I am sure that your new arranger will give you a lot of fun.
Now, you have tons of styles to try with Tyros.
Go to http://psrtutorial.com/Files/files.html or www.musiciansroom.net at contributions section with a great variety of styles.
Cheers
Chico

#185811 - 07/21/05 07:09 AM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
SD_FAN Offline

Loc: São Paulo, SP / Brazil
Hi rolandfan.

Congratulatuions!!!

Well come to the happy group of Tyros owners.
As you is already discovering, this keyboard is amazing.

Cheers.
Armando

#185812 - 07/27/05 04:56 AM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
Thanks for the link Chico. Will defintely check that out. Does anyone have detailed settings for all the various EQ etc...

I tried a $4 mike... yes $4 mike lol and the vocal harmony is quiet impressive...probably because I never experienced a feature like that before ( I know most of you hate the Tyros vocal harmony)

Enjoying the Tyros...

Rolandfan

#185813 - 07/27/05 07:55 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
I think you need to change your nick to tyrosfan Congrats!!!

#185814 - 07/27/05 08:34 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Welcome to the Tyros Fan club. I AGREE with ViLo, as in a new marriage, it's time to change your name. - Scott

#185815 - 07/27/05 09:08 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Congrats on the Tyros. I'm glad you found one you like. I know I love my Tyros. What a sound it has and your are absolutely right about the ease of operation. I have rarely used the owners manual. It would take A LOT to beat this kb in my book, but then some enjoy the others which is cool too.

Just wondering, did you have to travel 930 miles just to get the Tyros or were you on a trip for another reason. 'Cause if you traveled 930 miles just to get a Tyros, I'd have to say you are one dedicated keyboardist.haha

Best
Scott Langholff http://www.ScottLMusic.com

#185816 - 07/28/05 05:29 AM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Wow, reading this thread makes me realize I am not the only one to be excited every time I turn the keyboard on! I've had my Tyros for 2 years and the love just keeps on growing and growing!

Congratulations Rolandfan, I know you will not regret the miles you travelled or the money you spent!

Graham

#185817 - 07/28/05 06:19 AM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
You guys be sure to let me know when you have your Tyros 7 or 8 years...tell me how it held up, and if you have any regrets..Problems are already starting to show..The Tyros will last a little longer than the PSR's, but not by much...You will be replacing buttons and keypads many times..

BTW..My Roland G1000 is approching 20,000 hours of use...with the same Zip drive, same floppy drive, same keypad, same buttons......same everything,even the same owner.....Tyros..lots of luck...sorry guys the Tyros , although made better than the PSR 3000, is still not a quality made instrument..we will wait another 5 or 6 years and see if I am right..

#185818 - 07/28/05 07:43 AM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Fran,
I had so many problems with the G800 that I never even tried the 1000. After a couple of months the joystick spring broke, the buttons started sticking, the paint was wearing off the buttons, etc. Maybe I just got a clunker, but I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Not to mention that it weighed almost as much as the truck I used to haul it in!
The Tyros I had WAS starting to exhibit some button problems, but only after a couple years of 6-nights-a-week hard use.
I don't worry about whether a keyboard will last more than a couple of years, because I most likely will get a new one at LEAST every two years.
I know you use a lot of midi files, but do you also PLAY the keys a lot? I'm serious, I'd like to know if the 1000 is that much sturdier than the 800 I had.
DonM

#185819 - 07/28/05 08:29 AM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
You guys be sure to let me know when you have your Tyros 7 or 8 years...tell me how it held up

Hi Fran.

Arranger keyboard sound & style technology as well as feature improvements currently out pace the durable lifespan of arrangers. As with PC computers, most of us will probably be wanting to upgrade every 3-4 years to reap the improvements.

Secondly, the Tyros & PSR list price are: $2,000 to $3,200 LESS than the Roland G70.

I can't speak for others, but I've been gigging regularly with my Tyros for over 2-1/2 years now & experiencing no problems. I have no idea if it will hold up for 7-8 years or not. If I can get 5 years out of my Tyros, I will be MORE than satisfied. I suppose for those still runnng Windows on an old 386 machine, an 8 year arranger life will be more important.

Scott

#185820 - 07/28/05 10:06 AM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I'm with Scott. I have one of the original Tyros and I have done 200+ performances with it and outside of a non-working DIRECT key, it has worked flawlessly. I didn't even have problems with my USB port!

The little bugger is holding up very, very well!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#185821 - 07/28/05 10:45 AM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Fran Carango Offline

Technology wise, the basics are not getting much better..A piano still sounds the same even after 200 years..a sax doesn't change from day one..What does change are gimmicky things...If you have good sounds , good controller , and good keys on a sturdy well made board..there is no need to change after 3,5,7 years..
As for styles /...a style is a style, and any top of the line arranger can add styles to be played..

As for playing a lot of SMF's..what is the difference..I still play 100% over top of sequences...and guess what ? the sequencer buttons get more use than any button that we use with other functions..And my G1000 sequencer buttons still work as new..

Scott the keybed feel and design are without question superior to Yamaha's keys..
They are that durable and trouble free..

Don, your problem with pitchwheel can be an isolated situation[and a $20 part].It is hard for me to judge any keyboard on a singe componet..

What is materializing with the PSR2000-3000 and Tyros...across the board problems and not isolated objects...I just don't believe they were designed for on the road use..They are Home Keyboards...So I guess we shouldn't expect them to hold up to the G1000, Korg i30 etc..

Scott as for price I think the G70 sells for an average $300-$400 more than a Tyros...I would spend that sight unseen over the Tyros...if the G70 is as good as the G1000....I will know after 10 minutes with a G70...If it does not meet up to the G1000 credentions ..I will say so..

I mostly stated these comments to support the Roland arrangers that I feel recieved negative comments in error...My comments [negatives] are based on Tyros and PSR owner's comments of things going bad..

I can understand the idea that we outlive our boards, but not because of the technology...we just get bored or are experiencing things are getting bad...buttons that we have to push more than once etc..

#185822 - 07/28/05 11:08 AM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Fran,
I have had my tyros for 2,5 years now, and with the exception of a button on the display that I need to press a bit harder to work, everything else has worked fine, BUT..
I do agree, the hardware is a piece of junk.
Yes it's a great keyboard, and yes I will upgrade to Ty2, but I really wish they would improve crappy buttons and the keys.
However, I must disagree when you say a style is just a style. There is nothing like a kick-butt style driving you through a song with a smile, and Yamaha beds are way ahead of what was created 10 years ago.
Just my 0,02$

#185823 - 07/28/05 12:22 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
to the genesys Offline

Nothing beats having an arranger that is built with quality and is sturdy.

Some things as subjective as styles and sounds can always be either up graded by the manufacturer by an OS update (just like what the Roland G 70, Korg PA1X and Gem Genesys have been doing) or one can get third party styles and sounds.

The problem I always had with the Tyros and PSRs is the build quality. I know I would get frustrated with the hardware very quickly and I would be playing in to the manufacturer’s game of getting a new keyboard just for a few hardware and software changes that should have been there from the start.

Give me a good hardware equipment and the ability to upgrade software wise and I will be happy.

#185824 - 07/28/05 12:25 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Fran Carango Offline

What I mean by a style is a style...We don't have to live or die with onboard factory styles..we can convert or morph styles to our own taste..

#185825 - 07/28/05 12:26 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
to the genesys Offline

Nothing beats having an arranger that is built with quality and is sturdy.

Some things as subjective as styles and sounds can always be either up graded by the manufacturer by an OS update (just like what the Roland G 70, Korg PA1X and Gem Genesys have been doing) or one can get third party styles and sounds.

The problem I always had with the Tyros and PSRs is the build quality. I know I would get frustrated with the hardware very quickly and I would be playing in to the manufacturer’s game of getting a new keyboard just for a few hardware and software changes that should have been there from the start.

Give me a good hardware equipment and the ability to upgrade software wise and I will be happy.

#185826 - 07/28/05 12:34 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Fran Carango Offline

Don I can recall a problem I had with my G800...I was playing a weekly job [backing Joe Pelligrino..[the longtime sportscaster turned singer]...2 or 3 times a night the board would reboot..I re-ran electric wires to different outlets, thinking a voltage drop was the culprit..It would be fine for a day ..and then acted up again..
At home I never had a problem...what could be wrong with the elecric source..I asked myself[No I didn't answer myself].

It turned out to be my powerstrip attached to my Apex stand...Actually my father tested it and found it would arc over and recycle the reset..unknown to me...

#185827 - 07/28/05 12:44 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
We don't have to live or die with onboard factory styles. we can convert or morph styles to our own taste..

Right, but I prefer spending my valuable time improving my chops & PLAYING my arranger keybaord instead of having to convert, morph & tweak styles just to get them to work for me. Most internal Yamaha Tyros (at least for me) provide impressively realistic sounding (including not overly produced) rhythm section backing, allowing me space to spreadout & showcase my live keyboard playing & vocals, much the same way as if I were playing with a pro level live rhythm section band. - Scott

#185828 - 07/28/05 01:44 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Hi Don M
I had the same problems with start stop of my G800 . My friend Daniel Diniz had help of SZ member Andrea Rotolo to have your G 800 in operation. The same problems with butons and contact rubbers.

Chico

#185829 - 07/28/05 01:47 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Fran Carango Offline

Scott, what valuble time?
Conversion takes 30 seconds to do a 100 styles..save them and play them...I already have the Tyros styles ready to play if I want to play one..

AS for morphing..this is not a chore, but a great Roland feature for making a quick style that fits the bill..

We all have to make a little time to improve our chops!!

#185830 - 07/28/05 02:28 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Scott, what valuble time?
Conversion takes 30 seconds to do a 100 styles. save them and play them.

Yes, but from my experience, unless you spend considerable time tweaking them (following conversion), converted styles usually sound pretty lame, with the acoustic instruments (and even the drumkit) mix frequently out of balance, inappropriate EFX added, and inappropriate sounding auto accomp instruments called up as well. Because of differing keyboard brand sound engines & limitations of the conversion process itself, I seriously doubt that Tyros Styles auto-converted to Roland format sound even a fraction as good as they do on a Tyros. The same goes in reverse: Roland styles converted to Yamaha format. I rarely find styles auto-converted from one brand arranger to another to sound really impressive, unless they've been painstakenly re-voiced & tweaked following the conversion. That's merely my own valuable time's worth of opinion of course. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 07-28-2005).]

#185831 - 08/02/05 01:31 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
6 or 7 years? How about 12 years? That's how long I have been using my MS 60...at least 4 nights per week, half the time outside. It's heavy (all metal case)and original set-up takes some real time, but it's so sturdy that I'm reluctant to get a less durable "workhorse". The new Ketrons have a lot of plastic, and I don't expect an SD-1, for example, to be nearly as durable. I break down the MS-60 every night, and I had many more problems with my Yamaha Electone organ, even though it was ony moved 3 times in the 9 years I played it.

This thing is a TANK!

Russ

#185832 - 08/02/05 03:01 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Roel Offline

Scott,
I fully agree about the converted styles, most of them sound very bad.... and not woth listening at.

Fran,
You must be one of the 'lucky' g1000 owners, but I replaced many, many button-strips of G1000s (as a service technician) because the plastic (!) broke.

At least the keys on the new to come Tyros-2 are of top-quality.... and to be honest I don't see what else is crap in the Tyros-1 construction.....it's housing is non-metal...so what? (saves a LOT of weight)

#185833 - 08/02/05 07:31 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Fran Carango Offline

Roel, as you know the surface buttons are singular and not installed as strips..They are only for the pressure tension to the contacts..
Mine are 100% intact and have never been replaced..
The only ones I replaced were on DNJ's[used] G1000...It was not well maintained..Normal care will make the G1000 and most high end boards last , and not render needless repair..

After all is said and done , I still maintain the Yamahas's are not built well...no matter how light they are..In the final analasys[?] ..it depends how you care for your instrument...
Still a "luck" G1000 owner.

BTW, I never call anyone's instrument "crap"..They are all usefull in one way or another to individuals..
I hear good music from just about any instrument...even the Casio WK3000[my newest toy]...I just picked up a second WK3000..When it is delivered I will check it out and probably sell it.

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 08-02-2005).]

#185834 - 08/03/05 02:12 AM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Roel Offline

Fran,
Oh no ... the 'crap' (piece of junk) was used by someone else

Buttons:
The ones I replaced carried about 2, 4, 8 or more buttons in a (kind of) frame that holds the buttons together with 'hinges'. The hinges often break.

What you say is absolutely true : Handle your equipment with care.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online