SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#185825 - 07/28/05 12:26 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
to the genesys Offline

Nothing beats having an arranger that is built with quality and is sturdy.

Some things as subjective as styles and sounds can always be either up graded by the manufacturer by an OS update (just like what the Roland G 70, Korg PA1X and Gem Genesys have been doing) or one can get third party styles and sounds.

The problem I always had with the Tyros and PSRs is the build quality. I know I would get frustrated with the hardware very quickly and I would be playing in to the manufacturer’s game of getting a new keyboard just for a few hardware and software changes that should have been there from the start.

Give me a good hardware equipment and the ability to upgrade software wise and I will be happy.

#185826 - 07/28/05 12:34 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Don I can recall a problem I had with my G800...I was playing a weekly job [backing Joe Pelligrino..[the longtime sportscaster turned singer]...2 or 3 times a night the board would reboot..I re-ran electric wires to different outlets, thinking a voltage drop was the culprit..It would be fine for a day ..and then acted up again..
At home I never had a problem...what could be wrong with the elecric source..I asked myself[No I didn't answer myself].

It turned out to be my powerstrip attached to my Apex stand...Actually my father tested it and found it would arc over and recycle the reset..unknown to me...

#185827 - 07/28/05 12:44 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
We don't have to live or die with onboard factory styles. we can convert or morph styles to our own taste..

Right, but I prefer spending my valuable time improving my chops & PLAYING my arranger keybaord instead of having to convert, morph & tweak styles just to get them to work for me. Most internal Yamaha Tyros (at least for me) provide impressively realistic sounding (including not overly produced) rhythm section backing, allowing me space to spreadout & showcase my live keyboard playing & vocals, much the same way as if I were playing with a pro level live rhythm section band. - Scott

#185828 - 07/28/05 01:44 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Hi Don M
I had the same problems with start stop of my G800 . My friend Daniel Diniz had help of SZ member Andrea Rotolo to have your G 800 in operation. The same problems with butons and contact rubbers.

Chico

#185829 - 07/28/05 01:47 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Fran Carango Offline

Scott, what valuble time?
Conversion takes 30 seconds to do a 100 styles..save them and play them...I already have the Tyros styles ready to play if I want to play one..

AS for morphing..this is not a chore, but a great Roland feature for making a quick style that fits the bill..

We all have to make a little time to improve our chops!!

#185830 - 07/28/05 02:28 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Scott, what valuble time?
Conversion takes 30 seconds to do a 100 styles. save them and play them.

Yes, but from my experience, unless you spend considerable time tweaking them (following conversion), converted styles usually sound pretty lame, with the acoustic instruments (and even the drumkit) mix frequently out of balance, inappropriate EFX added, and inappropriate sounding auto accomp instruments called up as well. Because of differing keyboard brand sound engines & limitations of the conversion process itself, I seriously doubt that Tyros Styles auto-converted to Roland format sound even a fraction as good as they do on a Tyros. The same goes in reverse: Roland styles converted to Yamaha format. I rarely find styles auto-converted from one brand arranger to another to sound really impressive, unless they've been painstakenly re-voiced & tweaked following the conversion. That's merely my own valuable time's worth of opinion of course. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 07-28-2005).]

#185831 - 08/02/05 01:31 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
6 or 7 years? How about 12 years? That's how long I have been using my MS 60...at least 4 nights per week, half the time outside. It's heavy (all metal case)and original set-up takes some real time, but it's so sturdy that I'm reluctant to get a less durable "workhorse". The new Ketrons have a lot of plastic, and I don't expect an SD-1, for example, to be nearly as durable. I break down the MS-60 every night, and I had many more problems with my Yamaha Electone organ, even though it was ony moved 3 times in the 9 years I played it.

This thing is a TANK!

Russ

#185832 - 08/02/05 03:01 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Roel Offline

Scott,
I fully agree about the converted styles, most of them sound very bad.... and not woth listening at.

Fran,
You must be one of the 'lucky' g1000 owners, but I replaced many, many button-strips of G1000s (as a service technician) because the plastic (!) broke.

At least the keys on the new to come Tyros-2 are of top-quality.... and to be honest I don't see what else is crap in the Tyros-1 construction.....it's housing is non-metal...so what? (saves a LOT of weight)

#185833 - 08/02/05 07:31 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Fran Carango Offline

Roel, as you know the surface buttons are singular and not installed as strips..They are only for the pressure tension to the contacts..
Mine are 100% intact and have never been replaced..
The only ones I replaced were on DNJ's[used] G1000...It was not well maintained..Normal care will make the G1000 and most high end boards last , and not render needless repair..

After all is said and done , I still maintain the Yamahas's are not built well...no matter how light they are..In the final analasys[?] ..it depends how you care for your instrument...
Still a "luck" G1000 owner.

BTW, I never call anyone's instrument "crap"..They are all usefull in one way or another to individuals..
I hear good music from just about any instrument...even the Casio WK3000[my newest toy]...I just picked up a second WK3000..When it is delivered I will check it out and probably sell it.

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 08-02-2005).]

#185834 - 08/03/05 02:12 AM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Roel Offline

Fran,
Oh no ... the 'crap' (piece of junk) was used by someone else

Buttons:
The ones I replaced carried about 2, 4, 8 or more buttons in a (kind of) frame that holds the buttons together with 'hinges'. The hinges often break.

What you say is absolutely true : Handle your equipment with care.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online