SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#185815 - 07/27/05 09:08 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Congrats on the Tyros. I'm glad you found one you like. I know I love my Tyros. What a sound it has and your are absolutely right about the ease of operation. I have rarely used the owners manual. It would take A LOT to beat this kb in my book, but then some enjoy the others which is cool too.

Just wondering, did you have to travel 930 miles just to get the Tyros or were you on a trip for another reason. 'Cause if you traveled 930 miles just to get a Tyros, I'd have to say you are one dedicated keyboardist.haha

Best
Scott Langholff http://www.ScottLMusic.com

#185816 - 07/28/05 05:29 AM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Wow, reading this thread makes me realize I am not the only one to be excited every time I turn the keyboard on! I've had my Tyros for 2 years and the love just keeps on growing and growing!

Congratulations Rolandfan, I know you will not regret the miles you travelled or the money you spent!

Graham

#185817 - 07/28/05 06:19 AM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
You guys be sure to let me know when you have your Tyros 7 or 8 years...tell me how it held up, and if you have any regrets..Problems are already starting to show..The Tyros will last a little longer than the PSR's, but not by much...You will be replacing buttons and keypads many times..

BTW..My Roland G1000 is approching 20,000 hours of use...with the same Zip drive, same floppy drive, same keypad, same buttons......same everything,even the same owner.....Tyros..lots of luck...sorry guys the Tyros , although made better than the PSR 3000, is still not a quality made instrument..we will wait another 5 or 6 years and see if I am right..

#185818 - 07/28/05 07:43 AM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Fran,
I had so many problems with the G800 that I never even tried the 1000. After a couple of months the joystick spring broke, the buttons started sticking, the paint was wearing off the buttons, etc. Maybe I just got a clunker, but I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Not to mention that it weighed almost as much as the truck I used to haul it in!
The Tyros I had WAS starting to exhibit some button problems, but only after a couple years of 6-nights-a-week hard use.
I don't worry about whether a keyboard will last more than a couple of years, because I most likely will get a new one at LEAST every two years.
I know you use a lot of midi files, but do you also PLAY the keys a lot? I'm serious, I'd like to know if the 1000 is that much sturdier than the 800 I had.
DonM

#185819 - 07/28/05 08:29 AM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
You guys be sure to let me know when you have your Tyros 7 or 8 years...tell me how it held up

Hi Fran.

Arranger keyboard sound & style technology as well as feature improvements currently out pace the durable lifespan of arrangers. As with PC computers, most of us will probably be wanting to upgrade every 3-4 years to reap the improvements.

Secondly, the Tyros & PSR list price are: $2,000 to $3,200 LESS than the Roland G70.

I can't speak for others, but I've been gigging regularly with my Tyros for over 2-1/2 years now & experiencing no problems. I have no idea if it will hold up for 7-8 years or not. If I can get 5 years out of my Tyros, I will be MORE than satisfied. I suppose for those still runnng Windows on an old 386 machine, an 8 year arranger life will be more important.

Scott

#185820 - 07/28/05 10:06 AM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I'm with Scott. I have one of the original Tyros and I have done 200+ performances with it and outside of a non-working DIRECT key, it has worked flawlessly. I didn't even have problems with my USB port!

The little bugger is holding up very, very well!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#185821 - 07/28/05 10:45 AM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Fran Carango Offline

Technology wise, the basics are not getting much better..A piano still sounds the same even after 200 years..a sax doesn't change from day one..What does change are gimmicky things...If you have good sounds , good controller , and good keys on a sturdy well made board..there is no need to change after 3,5,7 years..
As for styles /...a style is a style, and any top of the line arranger can add styles to be played..

As for playing a lot of SMF's..what is the difference..I still play 100% over top of sequences...and guess what ? the sequencer buttons get more use than any button that we use with other functions..And my G1000 sequencer buttons still work as new..

Scott the keybed feel and design are without question superior to Yamaha's keys..
They are that durable and trouble free..

Don, your problem with pitchwheel can be an isolated situation[and a $20 part].It is hard for me to judge any keyboard on a singe componet..

What is materializing with the PSR2000-3000 and Tyros...across the board problems and not isolated objects...I just don't believe they were designed for on the road use..They are Home Keyboards...So I guess we shouldn't expect them to hold up to the G1000, Korg i30 etc..

Scott as for price I think the G70 sells for an average $300-$400 more than a Tyros...I would spend that sight unseen over the Tyros...if the G70 is as good as the G1000....I will know after 10 minutes with a G70...If it does not meet up to the G1000 credentions ..I will say so..

I mostly stated these comments to support the Roland arrangers that I feel recieved negative comments in error...My comments [negatives] are based on Tyros and PSR owner's comments of things going bad..

I can understand the idea that we outlive our boards, but not because of the technology...we just get bored or are experiencing things are getting bad...buttons that we have to push more than once etc..

#185822 - 07/28/05 11:08 AM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Fran,
I have had my tyros for 2,5 years now, and with the exception of a button on the display that I need to press a bit harder to work, everything else has worked fine, BUT..
I do agree, the hardware is a piece of junk.
Yes it's a great keyboard, and yes I will upgrade to Ty2, but I really wish they would improve crappy buttons and the keys.
However, I must disagree when you say a style is just a style. There is nothing like a kick-butt style driving you through a song with a smile, and Yamaha beds are way ahead of what was created 10 years ago.
Just my 0,02$

#185823 - 07/28/05 12:22 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
to the genesys Offline

Nothing beats having an arranger that is built with quality and is sturdy.

Some things as subjective as styles and sounds can always be either up graded by the manufacturer by an OS update (just like what the Roland G 70, Korg PA1X and Gem Genesys have been doing) or one can get third party styles and sounds.

The problem I always had with the Tyros and PSRs is the build quality. I know I would get frustrated with the hardware very quickly and I would be playing in to the manufacturer’s game of getting a new keyboard just for a few hardware and software changes that should have been there from the start.

Give me a good hardware equipment and the ability to upgrade software wise and I will be happy.

#185824 - 07/28/05 12:25 PM Re: Took a 930 mile trip and came home with a TYROS
Fran Carango Offline

What I mean by a style is a style...We don't have to live or die with onboard factory styles..we can convert or morph styles to our own taste..

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online