SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#185744 - 03/19/01 08:51 PM Keyboard Action
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
Really enjoy this site. A lot of very good information for anyone trying to figure out what arranger keyboard to purchase. Now, if I lived near George Kaye's store I probably would not have to ask this question. I tried out a PSR 9000 for 5 minutes today and the one thing I noticed was the synth type action. Now, I'm not expecting a Yamaha P200 weighted action in an arranger keyboard (I guess that would be a little to much to ask?) but if I were considering a Solton SD1,Technics KN6500 or a Yamaha 9000 pro,which unit's keyboard would be the most weighted, which of the three would be the least (more synth-like) weighted? Thanks!

#185745 - 03/19/01 09:19 PM Re: Keyboard Action
Dnj Offline

IF I REMEMBER THE SOLTON WAS IN BETWEEN WEIGHTED AND NON.

#185746 - 03/19/01 09:40 PM Re: Keyboard Action
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Gord,
the action on the SD1 is weighted with metal weights under the keys. The Yamaha on the other hand does not have metal weights but Yamaha calls this keyboard "synth weighted". The technics I can't comment on because I don't carry this keyboard.
The other main difference is the way aftertouch feels on these two keyboards. On the Solton, when you push down on the key for aftertouch, the key actually moves a little bit which is how the aftertouch sensor works. On the Yamaha, when you apply aftertouch, the key doesn't move at all. You are only putting more pressure on the key.
If you would like or need a real piano hammer action, try the Roland KF90 which is like the roland VA5 in a digital piano body (FP9)
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online