SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#185739 - 01/22/03 09:03 AM Visual Presentation
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
This topic is a carry-over from the Standing-Sitting thread which has already covered a lot of ground.

If you play out professionally, a skirt, preferebly one with your name on it, can really enhance your presentation.

Over the years I have used homemade and professionally made skirts which I attached to my rig via Velcro. I use two now, one with my name on it when I play singles and another for my duo "Party Of Two". Sorry I don't have a way of posting a pic here. (I can send one via email on request.)

I had them made by a graphics company that makes everything from grocery store displays to truck signage. The basic skirt is heavy vinyl. The lettering and graphics can be any size, any color(s). I had the velcro strips sewn onto the vinyl and the whole kit and kaboodle rolls up nicely to fit into a protective shipping tube for transport. Cost: about $100 per.

A couple of tips:
1) If you are going to use lettering, be sure it is legible.. large, easy to read font and good contrasting colors.
2) Pay special attention to measurements. I play standing and wanted the skirt to go almost to the floor. If I were to sit, the skirt would not work.
3. Design the skirt so it does not interfere with the jacks on the back of the kb.

The skirt hides wires, keeps your name in front of the audience and makes a nice, professional visual presentation.

#185740 - 01/22/03 09:46 AM Re: Visual Presentation
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
Eddie...do you have a picture we can see? Sounds interesting.

#185741 - 01/22/03 09:50 AM Re: Visual Presentation
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Great Idea!!!

We use a banner and a placard on an Easel as well.

Also, all the members of our group have magnetic signs on their auto's with the Band name and Number so that we don't anger parking attendants and club patrons when we backup our vehicles to the front door -- LOL. It also helps in the marketing department.

While we are on the topic of presentation, what kind of lighting and/or effects do you folks use?

I use 6 par-56 cans with 2 Vertigo effects lights on two light stands. I'm considering moving to a more sophisticated light show with DMX and Colortrack 250 lighting units. I want to pick up some sanners for some effects but don't want to spend a fortune. I also am interested in getting custom designed gobos with our Band Logo on them.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

AL G

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#185742 - 01/22/03 10:48 AM Re: Visual Presentation
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by B2:
Eddie...do you have a picture we can see? Sounds interesting.

It's on it's way.

#185743 - 01/22/03 01:29 PM Re: Visual Presentation
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Like most of life, this is a matter of taste and preference, but I prefer a more subtle approach ... I do like the sign on an easel, especially if it can be located near the entrance ... I then try to find a nice reachable spot to place a business card holder ... Also, an 8 x 10 copy of my business card placed in a frame set up where I am playing works well... One place I worked, I set up at the keyboard end of a baby grand, and had the card holder sitting on the piano (right next to a LARGE snifter shaped vase that was PERFECT for tips) ...
Getting back to the skirt, if it is plain and has no 'writing' on it, you can adjust it for the proper height whether sitting or standing ......
t.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online