SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#185355 - 10/01/02 06:19 AM JBL Eon vs. EV sx- series
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
Would like any comments on the difference between these two speakers, either active or passive, and probably with a 15'. I think my search has been narrowed down to these two. Thanks!

Angelo

#185356 - 10/01/02 06:52 AM Re: JBL Eon vs. EV sx- series
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
After several months of looking, testing, buying and returning speakers, I went with the JBL EON 1500s (passive). Light weight (only 37 pounds), durable, speak-on and 1/4 inch jacks in and out. Versatile positioning on floor or tables...or put up on optional stands. And, they pump out a very nice, rich sound spread through out large rooms. A very nice upgrade from the Peavey Black Widow 12's I have used the last 20 some years. About $350 each from Zzounds.com.
Eddie

Eddie

#185357 - 10/01/02 09:46 AM Re: JBL Eon vs. EV sx- series
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I prefer going the active monitor route for one piece gigging convenience. The EV SxA100's are 43 lbs ea but include a built amp, hi/lo EQ, and 2 inputs (XLR & 1/4'). I auditioned the SxA100s with the JBL Eons (side by side) and chose the EVs because I prefered their easier to carry ergonomic shape and size. I found the Eons slippery and more difficult (un-even weight distrubution) to carry. Angelo, both the Eons & EVs are good choices, but you really need to audition them side by side yourself. I recommend you burn a few of 'your own' recorded songs onto a CD and then taking the CD to a music store to perform a side by side comparison (on the JBL's, EV's, as well as on other PA speakers) to determine which speakers bring out the best for YOUR type/style and taste in music. It's important to remember that sound is a VERY subjective thing. I also suggest (if weight/size is an issue) that you pick up and move each speaker to find out for yourself just how easy they are to lift & carry. Good luck. - Scott

#185358 - 10/01/02 10:04 AM Re: JBL Eon vs. EV sx- series
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
A personal preference for sure. I opted for passive since I often work with an MP3 player and up to 3 mics (4 inputs in all, as I run my mic thru the PSR 2000) and want control of the mix, efx and reverb right by my side.

In all fairness to good buddy Scott, I could not find EVs to try...however I don't find the JBL's difficult to transport at all.

I totally agree with Scott's suggestion of a side by side audition if possible.
Eddie

[This message has been edited by btweengigs (edited 10-01-2002).]

#185359 - 10/01/02 10:15 AM Re: JBL Eon vs. EV sx- series
cam8neel Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
I prefer going the active monitor route for one piece gigging convenience. The EV SxA100's are 43 lbs ea but include a built amp, hi/lo EQ, and 2 inputs (XLR & 1/4'). I auditioned the SxA100s with the JBL Eons (side by side) and chose the EVs because I prefered their easier to carry ergonomic shape and size. I found the Eons slippery and more difficult (un-even weight distrubution) to carry. Angelo, both the Eons & EVs are good choices, but you really need to audition them side by side yourself. I recommend you burn a few of 'your own' recorded songs onto a CD and then taking the CD to a music store to perform a side by side comparison (on the JBL's, EV's, as well as on other PA speakers) to determine which speakers bring out the best for YOUR type/style and taste in music. It's important to remember that sound is a VERY subjective thing. I also suggest (if weight/size is an issue) that you pick up and move each speaker to find out for yourself just how easy they are to lift & carry. Good luck. - Scott

Scott,

Thanks for your input. As you may know, I do mostly ballads. How's the 12' vs. 15' as far as low end freq? Although it's mostly slow dance material I do, I'd like a little kick to it.

#185360 - 10/01/02 10:16 AM Re: JBL Eon vs. EV sx- series
cam8neel Offline

Eddie, Thanks for your help!

#185361 - 10/01/02 11:43 AM Re: JBL Eon vs. EV sx- series
Scottyee Offline

Angelo (Cam8neel):A 15" woofer will obviously produce a MORE bass, but for ballads and acoustic type (pop, jazz, big band, and country) stuff, the SxA100's (with 12" woofers) provide a very smooth freq response with natural sounding full bass. Angelo, it's also IMPORTANT to know what size of room and the number of people you plan to play for. I chose the EV SxA100s because I think they provide the best sound quality relative to its size/weight (easy portability).

#185362 - 10/01/02 01:58 PM Re: JBL Eon vs. EV sx- series
ReneT Offline

Loc: NL
I'm sorry to say but I've had EON-PAK 15" speakers with 4 band eq (used mostly as floormonitors) but if you play loud like we sometimes do these speakers don't fit at all.
Serious feedback problems at reasonable volume and no clear brilliant sound IMO.
Our saxophoneplayer recommended cheap Powerworks monitors (made by HK-audio in Germany) and these are perfect for the job unless you need real high volumes.
I have never heard the SX series but other series from EV are very good so if I had to choose between those two i'd buy without any doubt EV...

#185363 - 10/02/02 09:30 AM Re: JBL Eon vs. EV sx- series
rhumba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA
I just got a pair of the powered JBL EON G2 from the local Guitar Center here last Tuesday for $600 a piece (compared to $699?). Saturday night was the first outing with this new pair and boy, they were loud and clean! The stage was about 3 feet high and so no speaker stands needed. The bass was also good and so I won't be buying the sub for this setup. There were around 200 people at this reception and the room can accomodate about 300 just so you can have a picture of the size of the room.

..rb

#185364 - 10/03/02 01:03 PM Re: JBL Eon vs. EV sx- series
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
Angelo,
Greetings from western mass...I flew a mission out to No mans land today and overflew your neck of the woods...anyhow, After checking out the same choices you did (I actually narrowed it down to the Mackie 450's and the Ev sx-100's)I went with the EV's because in a side by side test (cd's, keyboard etc...cranked real loud, and soft)they were slightly below the 450's in sound, but in weight and price, they were the winners. One thing to note, the mackies are rated at 300 watts for the woofer and 100 for the horn (mid high freqs)..The ev's list as the same, but as dynamic watts. The average rated power is only 150 watts and 80 respectively. The mackies are clear winners here and in sound clarity. I will go with the EV's until I think I need more bang for the buck, then I'll shell out for the Mackies. But my feeling is I'll daisy chain more sx-100's becuase they do sound great with ballds and keyboards / vocals. As a side not, I also picked up the Mackie subwoofer becauser it did blow the ev sub out of the water (IMO) nice and clean. 979.00 though (and 100lbs). best of luck Brian

#185365 - 10/03/02 01:33 PM Re: JBL Eon vs. EV sx- series
cam8neel Offline

Brian,

Thanks for the info. Next time, let me know when you're in the area. BTW, did you get the active or passive EV's? Also, where did you purchase them? I'm close to pulling the trigger, so I could use the advise. Thanks, Bro!

Angelo

#185366 - 10/03/02 05:05 PM Re: JBL Eon vs. EV sx- series
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
I bought the active speakers because I didn't want to carry amps and such with me...I need a clean set-up..I'm sure guys have great ideas on a sleek amp setup too, but for me, I like the portability, weight and the fact that it's all in one package. I paid $510 a piece through SAM Ash with 15 months interest free/no payments. That way I can work and pay the buggers off without touching my regular income. Shipping was 20 bucks a pop, so you may want to deal with a local guy and if he'll give you a deal, with tax included, you may get them cheaper..it all depends. I'm all for supporting the local guys, but no one wanted to deal with the EV's...I missed the $349 guitar center give away...I called 2 GC's in texas, but they had only 2 left and were holding them...oh well...they're worth every bit of the 510 I paid and more...you'll love e'm...to be honest, the eon G2's were pretty good too..but the EV's caught my ear for some reason...Best of luck...Brian

#185367 - 10/03/02 05:57 PM Re: JBL Eon vs. EV sx- series
Scottyee Offline

B2: Congratulationss on your new EV speakers. I knew you'd be pleased. I agree that the Mackie 450's win out over the SxA100's in sound clarity & bass punch, but pound for pound, and $ for $, the SxA100 are a terrific sounding lightweight & easy to transport package which can't be beat. I don't regret exchanging the Mackie 450s for the EVs. - Scott

#185368 - 10/04/02 05:24 AM Re: JBL Eon vs. EV sx- series
cam8neel Offline

Looks like I'll be shopping for EV sxA-100's. Thanks, guys! You're the best!

Angelo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online