SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#185191 - 01/25/02 09:59 AM Off topic; Stage piano?
tonkan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Hi All!

I'm decided to get myself a stage piano to learn some piano playing technic. While beeing an organ/keyboard player only I really can't make any jugement myself. Money is a major object in this matter but I still would like something with a realistic touch and decent sound. Yamaha P80 is about my top limit. Any recommendation of a cheaper one?
The only ones I know of that are cheaper are the Korg SP200 (new one I think) and the Oberheim Cosmos. Has anyone tried these?

By the way a P80 costs about $1200 and a Cosmos $760 in my country. The SP200 is in the middle.

Take care
T

#185192 - 01/25/02 10:36 AM Re: Off topic; Stage piano?
Denis007 Offline

Loc: Ottawa,ONT,CANADA
Hello Tonkan,

If you want to practice your piano playing technique I suggest you go with
P80. It's keyboard action is closest to real pianos.
YAMAHA is the best in making weighted action since they have a lot of experience in making real pianos. Even some other brands like KORG, use YAMAHA's keys in their products.
I have played KORG SP100 an Roland RD-150 and they have much softer touch then
P80. They are good abut the action is far from real grand piano.
Also, I have read many reviews about electric pianos and in that price range P80 is the winner.
Therefore if you want to develop piano playing technique I suggest you go with YAMAHA.

Regards,

Denis

#185193 - 01/25/02 11:23 AM Re: Off topic; Stage piano?
dongggoi Offline

Loc: Wichita, KS, USA
Hi Tonkan,

Might I suggest another Digital Piano that is very good especially for the money, more specifically, the Technics SX P50.

I bought it when it first came out sometime last year and granted, and I am very pleased with it. It sells for less than the P80 and in my opinion and a better feel and sound. If you have the opportunity to try it out, please do. It is rather basic in functionality, just a few sounds other than the piano sounds, but the piano sounds are the ones that stand out. Plus the unit looks very up to date with its silver finish and it is also the lightest piano out there. 37 or 38 pounds.

The high notes are very woody with great sympathetic string resonance simulation, and the low notes are bassy and with a nice rounded tone. The mids are very good too.

The P80 is still a good digital piano, but it is a little dated. There is the new P120 which I suspect has improved features and sound although I don't know how much more it would cost.

Check out Harmonycentral's User review of the SX P50 here: http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth/Data/Technics/SX-P50-01.html

You can see other reviews of digital pianos there too including the P80

Enjoy!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online