SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#185084 - 07/22/06 10:42 AM Re: Why I defend the G70......
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Two thing to watch out for when listening to the G70 sounds........

First, in Menu->Utility->Startup make sure that 'Extended' is ON, otherwise you'll be listening to a very restricted set of sounds (pretty near all the sound from Roland's previous arrangers are in the G70, if sometimes under a different name or buried at the back of the list pages).

Secondly, turn off the MFX effects section and audition the sounds without an additional layer of effects (get to hear the basic patch - they use the Enhancer way too much for my tastes!) by Menu->Utility->Global and unselect the Upper1 MFX Link.

And, OK, thirdly (our THREE main weapons are....!) turn off the mastering tools EQ and Compressor. I feel these should be added only AFTER you have got the machine pretty dialed in and used sparingly.........

Oh, and of course (OK, OK, our FOUR main weapons are.......!) make sure you are monitoring the G70 through a STEREO rig, the bigger and fuller, the better. If all the store has is a mono keyboard amp, ask that it be plugged into a stereo PA (that's what you'll play through, after all!) or if they can't, use the finest headphones you can get your hands on........

#185085 - 07/22/06 11:03 AM Re: Why I defend the G70......
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex K:
So they don't like the G70 - so what? What's a big deal?
BTW, feel free to substitute any make/model of any product for "G70"

I think the Big Deal is, people do not like having their keyboards ridiculed or belittled as it makes them feel as if they are being belittled for making a bad investment or purchase. The digs that go on about different keyboards being better or worse are taken very personally due in part to the connection the owner has with the board. Nobody likes being made to feel the fool. When you ridicule someones keyboard you are indirectly ridiculing the decission they made to buy it. I think that is bound to hurt feeling and stir up anger in some.

Nothing like beating a dead horse. We do it here more lately than I remember. I find it hard to believe that we can't be happy for others when they spend great amounts of hard earned money on one of these keyboards. Instead we often try to persuade them that they made a bad decission by not buying the board we own or like. People like feeling accepted. We shouldn't make someone feel alienated because of the type of keyboard they like and play.

"Can't We All Just Get Along?"

D.

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#185086 - 07/22/06 11:05 AM Re: Why I defend the G70......
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Funny thing is the more we beat that dead horse.., we're actually helping out Yamaha and Roland All of our bitching and moaning between the two models sparks more interest in "both" of them, and others will be more inclined to check the boards out.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#185087 - 07/22/06 01:16 PM Re: Why I defend the G70......
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'd certainly admit we've got more interest in the G70 going since the Bitchslap-fest got started. The Tyros2 already had a lot of posts (to the point that SOME members here thought it was the Yamaha Forum!) and interest, but the first posts about the G70 about a year ago were greeted pretty hostilely, or very negative (due to Roland rushing it out before it was properly voiced).

Since then, things have improved in G70-land, with many bugfixes and new and improved features, a whole new Guitar Mode (nothing as significant added to the Tyros2 for free since it came out!), and considerable improvement (especially for European users) in the availability of high quality 3rd-party styles.

But, if you didn't know all this, you would have never guessed it from the tenor of posts here at SZ...... A fine European (in English) forum started up for G70 users, a model of what can be achieved by cooperation between users and manufacturers (some features were added or changed after only one user requested it!), and few G70 users bothered with this place for quite a while, so the whole level of awareness disappeared.

Lately, there's been a resurgence of interest and a concomitant upsurge of bad opinions (some people just don't want to admit that for other players, THEIR opinion could be invalid), but I guess it's like they say........ There's no such thing as BAD publicity!

Anything that gets players to make the (often long) journey to the Roland CK dealer to actually try one for themselves can't be all bad, but it has been leaving a bad taste in my mouth reading some of the potty-posts here!

Like I said...... the more Roland sell, the more likely I will get more OS updates and new styles!!

#185088 - 07/22/06 11:54 PM Re: Why I defend the G70......
K.Boarder Offline

I admire your patience Diki, you are doing a good job in this forum.

#185089 - 07/23/06 06:28 PM Re: Why I defend the G70......
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by K.Boarder:
I admire your patience Diki, you are doing a good job in this forum.

Its a pleasure to discuss music with Diki for sure !

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online