Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#185006 - 02/08/01 07:24 PM Re: SD-1 and 9000 pro picture
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
JCKeeys-
I must be OUT then, cuz I don't own a VW bug or Crysler PT Cruiser either
I guess I'll have to get used to that 70's woodgrain look once again, but as an adult this time
- Scott

#185007 - 02/08/01 07:57 PM Re: SD-1 and 9000 pro picture
mbl Offline

Loc: el paso tx
I personally like the grouping of buttons into the center of the keyboard (avoids having to scan the whole board for buttons).

I even think that the displays could well be moved to either left or right top corners and leave more room for buttons at the center.

The speakers are similar to the ones I use and like, also 80 watts. The subwoofer is the important piece.

Even though Yamaha added more play-keys, it still seems like the Solton has more play-keys. Is that true, or is this a picture illusion?

mbl

#185008 - 02/08/01 08:03 PM Re: SD-1 and 9000 pro picture
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Scott, one of my local musician friends bought a Cruiser. He took the back seat out and hauls all his gear in it.
George,
I didn't know you were a Peavey dealer. Of course they don't let you sell over the internet so you probably haven't mentioned it. I got two new Peavey TLS5's today. They are "low-end" speakers (read low-cost)but have wonderful high-end with the ti drivers, and very good low end coverage, down to 60 hz I think. Light weight, low cost, good sound, what else could you want?
They are a good 'ol American company and produce good stuff anyway.
DonM

#185009 - 02/08/01 08:29 PM Re: SD-1 and 9000 pro picture
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
mbl,
I think it's just a picture illusion as both the keyboards have the exact same number of play-keys: 76. I am wondering if the actual dimensions of the keys (length & width) may be slightly different. Perhaps George could you possibly take measurements and report back?
When I auditioned both the SD1 and Yamaha 9000pro at NAMM I immediately felt at home accessing the buttons on the 9000pro (ergonomically placed in distinct color coded groupings) while I found it a little harder to discern (both find and press the correct buttons) on the SD-1 because they were all so evenly spaced (same shape/color) and situated close together throughout. Hey, the 70's look is beginning to grow on me now. Even beginning to find that 70's retro petruding floppy disk drive design pretty funky looking & reminscent of those first PC computers
Scott

#185010 - 02/09/01 05:28 AM Re: SD-1 and 9000 pro picture
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
MBL,

Well, while I agree with most of what you said, now we know why you don't design keyboards for a living . . . move the screen to the right or left side? I've got a hard enough time trying to see the screen without having to lean left or right. Stevie Wonder might like it but I'd hate that.

I do agree that the floppy disk on the SD1 is in the WRONG place. Let's say you want to play a midi, mute a few parts and play/sing along . . . everyone will watch you changing disks, and they'll be thinking that you're just another karaoke DJ - not a musician. VERY BAD placement.

Things I like about the SD1: mod wheels are placed right where you need them, above the keyboard; the silver color is good; it's symmetry (buttons evenly placed on both sides); the weight is good; can't comment on sound (NO SOLTON DEALERS FOR HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS OF MILES).

Although I like it's symmetrical design, the buttons look too small for my big fingers and I have to agree with Scott that they all look alike and finding the right one quickly would be a hassle. The end caps should have been black instead of wood grain but that's not a big deal. Frankly, I like the retro look (except for the floppy drive - hate that).

Hey, my 9000PRO mini-lamps just arrived at Gattuso's, so I've got another little toy to enjoy for the weekend . . . hmmm, OFF, ON, OFF, ON . . . dimmer, brighter, dimmer, brighter . . .

Scott,
I'm sure that the keys on the 9000PRO and SD1 are the same size, it's pretty standard but who knows, maybe George has already pulled out his trusty tape measure and is posting exact dimensions as I write this (are you George?). Hmmm, to the .001 inch should do it George.

Happily playin' my 9000PRO in Ohio,
Steve

PS. A few of you may remember that I was the first person in the U.S. to own a PSR-9000 (just had to rub it in a little).

#185011 - 02/09/01 08:01 AM Re: SD-1 and 9000 pro picture
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
You have my sympathy

#185012 - 02/09/01 09:00 AM Re: SD-1 and 9000 pro picture
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I pulled out the tape measure and here is the measurement. Both are the same
black keys 3 1/2"
white keys 5 7/16"
the solton white key is 1/16" wider than the yamaha white key
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#185013 - 02/09/01 10:07 AM Re: SD-1 and 9000 pro picture
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
How BIG are YOUR keys? I remember this discussion here last year. We all actually measured our keys & keyboards. And, indeed, there are different sizes among different makers. And sometimes, the keys are the same size, but the space between is slightly different - so a 61 note keyboard from Roland will be longer than a 61 note keyboard from Yamaha. Just thought I'd throw in this little tidbit.
PS. I'd like to have that setup that George has (Yam Pro & SD-1). Only I don't have $6000 or so handy now!!
Tom

#185014 - 02/09/01 10:15 AM Re: SD-1 and 9000 pro picture
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Great picture George,
just how I found my Pro. For those of you who are interested, those little speakers in the picture are really great. They kick butt.
The SD-1 and the Pro are both very exciting keyboards. Whichever you have, have fun playing.
Eric

#185015 - 02/09/01 11:39 AM Re: SD-1 and 9000 pro picture
vic83 Offline

Loc: Florida
great pictures George,I just wish we would know what's keeping Roland from releasing the new 76key keyboard one?

------------------
vic

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online