SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#184628 - 12/24/02 07:42 AM Re: Finally a GRIPE re: Yamaha Tyros
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
What I WANT to be able to do is turn DOWN the 'volume' of the 'bass track' for ALL styles universally

Scott,

Sometimes you gotta do things
"OLD SCHOOL" style and manualy edit each registration seperatly. I like to do that myself it lets me cutomize EACH STYLE REGISTRATION perfectly to my taste. I start at ZERO Volume on all style tracks and "SLOWLY " bring up each tracks Gain until I get the "PERFECT MIX" that I need.

#184629 - 12/24/02 08:22 AM Re: Finally a GRIPE re: Yamaha Tyros
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Scott. This is where my old Korg i30 scored. It had separate sliders for each ACC parts. We have not progressed at all really have we.

Graham UK

#184630 - 12/24/02 08:22 AM Re: Finally a GRIPE re: Yamaha Tyros
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Hey Scott,

Until recently, I owned a pair of PSR-5700s, keyboards that allowed you to turn down the volume of any of the drums, bass, chorus1, chorus2 and pads using nothing more than a simple volume slider. Granted, they didn't have all the great sounding instruments found in the Tyros and 2k, but the piano and vibe sounds were outstanding. Unfortunately, all of the advances in keyboard technology seem to have ignored the basics. What most people I've talked with want is a keyboard that produces high quality sounds, has lots of user memory and that can quickly access all files so there is little or no dead time between songs while they're performing. Obviously, the folks at Yamaha, and apparently all the other manufacturers don't seem to be interested in these aspects. I often suspect that the persons who actually design the keyboards have never played professionally in front on a dance-floor filled with people.

Good Luck with the tyros--think I'll stick with the 2k for now and maybe make some major modifications after the warrenty runs out.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#184631 - 12/24/02 08:34 AM Re: Finally a GRIPE re: Yamaha Tyros
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Donny: I agree that creating 'custom' registrations is the BEST way to go (I do this for MANY of my songs as well), but I would have expected that at least the preset style's individual parts 'volume levels' to have been better balanced 'out of the box', especially when you want to utilize the 'Music Finder' which unfortunately, can only access Preset Styles and only a limited number of styles (space) located in User Memory. To have to create a custom registration file for each of the keyboard's 300 styles just to solve this problem seems ridiculous. It would be a lot easier if there was just (like Gary mentions on the PSR5700) a more old fashioned basic slider based 'universal' style part volume control which could boost/lower the volume level of a specific style part for ALL styles loaded.

#184632 - 12/24/02 10:32 AM Re: Finally a GRIPE re: Yamaha Tyros
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HI ALL,
Thanks for your posts on the Tyros. I have just decided to stay with the PSR9000 and wait to see what the PSR10000 will offer.
The 9000 also works great with my Technics KN6000 which I have also decided to keep and not upgrade to the KN7000.
Bebop

#184633 - 12/24/02 11:17 AM Re: Finally a GRIPE re: Yamaha Tyros
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I don't want to make anyone feel bad about their board. They cost too much money to ridicule any one. I'm writing so as to let the manufactures know of something they are missing that is very important to me and it seems more important to ones here then they may realize.

Even playing midi files it's amazing how many times I reach for the sliders to turn either the bass or the drums volume up or down.

Even on some factory styles it is usually the Drums or Bass that is the problem. Sometimes they need to be turned up. Sometimes I turn them down. It depends sometimes on the tune for me.

I wish they'd put sliders on all the boards. I can't do without them.

If you guys ever start playing trumpet or guitar and want to sequence, watch the problems you'll have trying to sequence with some of the stuff on the market.

I know how you folks feel,
Boo

#184634 - 12/24/02 11:23 AM Re: Finally a GRIPE re: Yamaha Tyros
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
GREAT NEWS Everyone! I just discovered that I was able to easily CORRECT the bass track volume problem by simply changing the Tyros 'EQ/Compressor' Setting to another PRESET setting.

Apparently the BASS track's volume was NOT too loud afterall, and it was just the pre-selected Tyros overall EQ setting that seems to be over emphasizing the bass, making the bass track appear too loud. With the Mixer EQ-Compressor settings finally tweaked to my liking, ALL PARTS: individual style part instruments, live keyboard sounds, and vocals sound great now.

MANY thanks to Terry Telson for directing me to the Tyros' POWERFUL Mixing Console EQ/Compressor feature which allows you to fully customize and tailor the keyboard's sound output to individual tastes. I once again am HIGHLY enthusiastic about the Tyros, and think it's definately a worthwhile upgrade (for me) from the PSR2000. Merry Christmas to all. - Scott

#184635 - 12/24/02 02:53 PM Re: Finally a GRIPE re: Yamaha Tyros
dongggoi Offline

Loc: Wichita, KS, USA
Glad to know that you were able to resolve that problem. The Tyros is KING again!

Jinx

#184636 - 12/24/02 03:30 PM Re: Finally a GRIPE re: Yamaha Tyros
trtjazz Offline

Interesting the different IMO over expectations we all have about keyboards. It's almost ludicrous to me that we all expect with our different tastes, genres and ears that a keyboard be perfect for everyone out of the box. How is that possible?

One person says I like a heavy thumpy bass for my genre and the next says, what I want is a lite one. So again, how can we expect a board out of the box to be perfectly setup?

In reality what we should expect is a board to be middle of the road out of the box and needs to be tweeked to our personal liking. I'm thankful the boards are made to be tweeked for this purpose. I really am not a tweeker, but expect that I am going to have to do something to get the sound I want. The ability to do this is one of the reasons I buy the higher end boards.

Secondly, again IMO we might be a bit too quick to jump all over a company and the board without even trying to resolve the problem. Instead we post a negative thing claiming there is a board fault and what knotheads companies are for producing such a piece of junk, when in reality there is an onboard fix, if we just look for it.

I for one love the Tyros and think it has great possibilities and the best board I have owned. Is it perfect? NO it isn't, but then I didn't expect perfect and maybe is why I am not at all disappointed with it.

And on par so far, I still do not see any real problems occurring compared to the other boards we have been talking about here.

I think Yammy did a great job with this board, but then again I start from a "the glass is half full" frame of mind.

If I find REAL faults with this board I'll be all over Yammy, but I will at least look and read to see if there is a way of resolving it before I do.

"Ya gotta actenuate the positive eliminate the negative and don't mess with Mr. in between."
jam on,
Terry

------------------
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 12-24-2002).]

#184637 - 12/25/02 04:11 AM Re: Finally a GRIPE re: Yamaha Tyros
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Terry adressed the solution early in this thread. The EQ and Compression possibilities of the Tyros is great, you can get the punch of Ketron or the smoothness of Technics by the press of a button.
It is, however, vey interesting to notice how people jump to speedy conclusions/judgements before full knowledge is acquired.
Merry X-mas y'all!
Roy-Andrč.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online