SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#18419 - 01/12/00 07:42 PM Upgrading DD floppy drive to HD on my O1/W...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, I'm a new member here. I would like to know whether if I can upgrade the Double Density floppy drive to a High Density floppy drive on my 01/Wfd. Is it possible? Your feedback is much appreciated.

[This message has been edited by City Hunter (edited 01-12-2000).]

#18420 - 01/12/00 08:36 PM Re: Upgrading DD floppy drive to HD on my O1/W...
HellPope Huey Offline

Loc: Hot Springs, AR, USA
This one takes me back to the days when folks were hotrodding their early analogs!

Off the top of my head, I'd say the chances were slim. Modern digital synths are basically hard-wired from the git-go and changing to a different disk drive would be not unlike trying to change the ROM soundwave set, which only Kurzweils will do as far as I presently know. Its usually a job featuring diminishing returns.

I'd say track down a tech at www.roguemusic.com or ugbm.com and ask. You could also try www.korg.com, but they're less likely to be up on or interested IN modifications like this. Never hurts to inquire.

I'd recommend that you consider either a Yamaha MDF1 MIDI Data Filer for some expansion capabilities or go the whole computer route. With the latter, you could use a Zip drive, which is cheap, tough, standardized and offers a good seek time for accessing yer bits.

Otherwise, consider going with a computer and a librarian program such as Sound Diver or Galaxy. You can get a one-instrument version of SD for $99.

I'd love to hotrod MY fd that way; its SO darned close to perfect...! Please post whatever you discover, if it gets that far.

#18421 - 01/13/00 10:42 AM Re: Upgrading DD floppy drive to HD on my O1/W...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, thanks for the reply, Huey! I'll give those info you gave me a check. I definitely am going for the PC route since its got infinite possibility for expansion. Hey, can I format a HD floppy disk on my 01/Wfd? I mean, format it to a DD?

#18422 - 02/04/00 06:43 PM Re: Upgrading DD floppy drive to HD on my O1/W...
HellPope Huey Offline

Loc: Hot Springs, AR, USA
I've used a wide variety of crap disks as casual backups "just in case" and the Korg has formatted almost everything beautifully. Guess there's a place for all those AOL disks to go now, huh? Just like some folks using their old hard disks as safety dumps for some things, a spare set of Wundersounds on a vanilla 3.5 could save you mucho grief someday. The few disks its rejected have just triggered an error message in the display, so its worth a try.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online