SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#18372 - 08/13/99 05:22 PM Strummers & Loopers
Kenny James Offline

Loc: Paris, TN / USA
Hey, Guys;

I have a Korg is50 Workstation. Would like to able to create guitar rhythm strums, finger picking patterns and loops to be used when creating music from scratch. I can do it on the is50 but it takes forever. I'm mostly into Country and Western music styles so the groove boxes and dance machines are a bit over kill.

Does anyone have any experience with the Oberheim Strummer or Cyclone? What about the Echoplex Pro? I'm new to this electronic music making scene and don't know enough about what is out there to know what to buy? I'm just basically wanting to create patterns and riffs, and be able to loop them for as long as I need and to insert them into the song any place I want them. Something with some factory presets would be nice, but not necessary.

If anyone can help I will appreciate it.

Thanks.

Kenny James

#18373 - 08/14/99 09:32 PM Re: Strummers & Loopers
buinu Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
To me, this is much more difficult than programming drums. I have not used or ever talked directly with anyone who has used the Strummer but it seems as if I remember it as having less than favorable reviews. The Cyclone is an arpeggiator which has had mixed reviews and although it may be useful to you, I don't think it's what you are looking for at the moment, at least not far sequencing individual licks. When this type of effect has been absolutely necessary, I have always had the best results either from programming multi layers while inserting a slight delay between layers (really a pain but the whole lick gets played on one key) or from using step entry which is also a pain but not as big of one. Programming with delay has always worked best for me though. I hope others will offers more options, other than sampling or using a live guitarist.

#18374 - 08/16/99 12:24 PM Re: Strummers & Loopers
Kenny James Offline

Thanks Buinu;

What about units that allow for looping? I've been working on a song that has a finger picking guitar pattern in it. This pattern basically repeats itself every 6 or 7 measures. I've just recently completed the guitar part after about 3 months work on step recording. That's what I'm basically after. Something to loop or even copy measures and paste. I can copy measures, bounce, etc. in the backing sequence mode but I can't in the song edit mode, which is where I began writing this song.

Thanks again for your help.

Kenny

#18375 - 08/16/99 11:16 PM Re: Strummers & Loopers
buinu Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
Are you using a sequencer? If so, there should be a track loop function. Check your manual and see what you can find. I'm not saying they don't exist but I have never used a sequencer (software, hardware or built-in) that did not have a loop feature.

#18376 - 08/20/99 12:41 AM Re: Strummers & Loopers
Ward Music Offline

Loc: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
I sold the Oberheim Strummer 'way back' in '91 and '92. If you can find it cheap (it isn't made anymore), it would do the trick. It can make some very convincing strumming patterns, assuming that the sound it is creating it with is realistic in the first place... the best results we had were with a Kurzweil K2000 on the Acoustic Guitar patch.

Steve Martin
Ward Music Ltd.

#18377 - 08/20/99 02:52 PM Re: Strummers & Loopers
Kenny James Offline

Thanks Steve;

I have owned one before but I didn't have a very good manual with it and I couldn't figure out how to make it produce a regular up and down guitar strum. All I could ever get out of it was a down strum as though you took the pick and just strum from low E down to High E one time. I am using a Korg is50 work station which, to me, has a pretty decent sounding guitar, at least for my use.

I can get the strummer from Musician's Friend for $129.99 at the present. Do you think that's cheap enough? If they aren't in production anymore, would I have a problem getting repairs if something needed fixing?

Kenny James
kjames@mail.state.tn.us

#18378 - 08/20/99 02:59 PM Re: Strummers & Loopers
Kenny James Offline

Buinu;

No, I don't have a sequencer, except the on include on my keyboard. I am using a Korg is50 and on this particular model there is no loop function. I am working in the song edit mode and creating this song from scratch. I could have used the record mode in backing sequence and used the copy function but I had already started this way before I realized it. I'm new at this and just learning my way around. Thanks for your input.

Kenny James

#18379 - 08/20/99 10:37 PM Re: Strummers & Loopers
Ward Music Offline

Loc: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
$129.00 US sounds like WAY to much to me. You should be able to pick up one used for $25.00.

#18380 - 08/23/99 11:47 AM Re: Strummers & Loopers
Kenny James Offline

Thanks, again, Steve for the info on the Oberheim Strummer.

I think Musician's Supply has about 22 of these in stock. Evidently, if they are no longer manufactured, they found a good supply of used ones, or found a supply of new stock that had never sold.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online