SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#183575 - 06/25/03 12:20 PM Re: PSR vs TYROS
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
No one can know what 76 note arrangers, like the 9000pro, will be available in a few years. Maybe it will be the PA-X. Maybe Roland will introduce a 76 note keyboard at NAMM in July. Maybe Roland will hit this time. Maybe Yamaha will bring out a 76 note Tyros. Maybe Ekco will blow them all away, and be the top keyboard mfg.
Maybe, maybe, big maybe.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 06-25-2003).]

#183576 - 06/25/03 06:22 PM Re: PSR vs TYROS
pianoman35 Offline

I hope so

#183577 - 06/26/03 02:19 AM Re: PSR vs TYROS
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Buy a piano.......

#183578 - 06/26/03 06:01 AM Re: PSR vs TYROS
pianoman35 Offline

I have a piano, its a spinnit er somethin from the late 1800's. Its real nice, its alittle out of tune tho. I want a professional keyboard to make music. Im interested in making smooth jazz, techno, and just random things.

#183579 - 06/26/03 07:56 AM Re: PSR vs TYROS
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
If your willing to settle for less than an Arranger you might want to check out the Roland Fantom S/88. It has Sampling, Expansion Bays, in other words it is a Full blown Workstation. It would be ideal for making Jazz, techno, etc. tunes. It only has 64 note Polyphony but they might make an expansion card one day that will increase the polyphony much like how Yamaha made one for the 9000Pro to increase its Polyphony. PS: If you Sample your loops and sounds that will free up additional Polyphony too. If you must have an Arranger don't forget to check out the new gear at Summer NAMM 2003. It starts next month, (July 18-20). News about NAMM can be found here: http://www.harmony-central.com/

PS: If your parents have the dough, maybe you can talk them into getting you one sooner. Christmas is not too far away you know.

Best regards,
Mike

#183580 - 06/26/03 08:04 AM Re: PSR vs TYROS
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
I suggest a Tyros, though as you say that you are looking for at least 76 keys then a 9000 pro might be the nearest choice...
If you need more powerful sequencing onboard features and don't need styles, go for a big Roland or Korg workstation.
Otherwise buy an 88 note midi controller keyboard and hook it up to say an SC8850 or its replacement module and a PC sequencer.

S.

------------------

forum.svpworld.com - No adverts, No spam, No nonsense!
share your music, get help and advice, make new friends! All platforms invited!!

#183581 - 06/26/03 08:26 AM Re: PSR vs TYROS
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
If I was looking to make techno and smoothe jazz, and I didn't have to have an arranger, I'd give the Yamaha Motif 7/8 or the Fantom S88 a close look. I could also include the Triton studio too, but I'm not a big fan of korg's acoustic voices. ( This of course is a personal observation ). Add the AN150 card to the Motif and you have a wealth of dance techno sounds to choose from and create. Roland and Triton have siimlar expansion cards..

If you're not interested in being a one person performer ( one man band if you will ), the Workstation can be a good way to go too as far as value for the dollar. You can add midi programs such as One man band, XG works, etc that will play back any Yamaha styles or other styles converted propely to yamaha format ( There is good freeware available to do this ).

When I create a song, if the beat is going to pretty much stay the same throughout the song, or it's not going to go off in several directions, as let's say a jazz fusion or complicated progressive rock song might ( ala ELP, yes..etc ), I can pretty much do the whole thing on the PA80. I can quickly modify the styles to add my own bass line, spice up the drums, etc. The PA80 is as close tro a workstation as I've sen on an arranger, because of it's detailed editing parameters.

Once I get into more complicated pieces, and I don't want to try to do the drums or other parts in real time, I use software programs like Jammer Pro, Slicy ( and fill in ) drummer, or Jazz4++ to assist me in composing these pieces ( there are other apps available too and some are more complex .. fodder for another topic tho ). With these software types I'm not tied down as much to the same or similar rythym patterns. At that point it makes no difference whether I'm using an arranger, workstation, or software synth. I often employ my Motif here because of the flexibility it gives me in editing voices and the real time controller knobs that I can assign to any midi parameter. Also, it alows for pattern chaning, which allows you to pre make short phrases and insert them anywhere in the song. If the PA80 ever falls a bit short for me, it's in the area of lack of real time midi controllers ( no slider, knobs ). Changing the sustain on a guitar part, or adding slight timing delays allows me to get let's say a strummed sound and I can mute the decay in real time to give that muted feel and then quickly change back in real time.. all tools to give a more realistic feel.

Good luck in whatever way you decide to go. My best recommendation is to spend as much time as you can actually playing and demoing the instruments to help ensure that you come home with the one that's right for you. So many good "toys" out there..so little time and funds..lol

AJ

#183582 - 06/26/03 09:44 AM Re: PSR vs TYROS
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
I prefer the 9000 Pro over the Tyros for its build quality, keyboard feel, and expansion capabilities. Sound wise they are nearly identical but the 9000 Pro offers more flexibility than Tyros. Try both and judge for yourself. You may also want to consider a Technics KN7000 since it sounds great and has a better sequencer than the Yamaha's.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online