SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#183528 - 07/22/06 08:05 AM I just want to talk to G70 fans........!!
Dnj Offline

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-24-2006).]

#183529 - 07/22/06 08:46 AM Re: I just want to talk to G70 fans........!!
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
My advice would be to get your favourite srx expansion board for your g70

#183530 - 07/22/06 08:50 AM Re: I just want to talk to G70 fans........!!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rolandfan:
My advice would be to get your favourite srx expansion board for your g70

In due time I will check all the SRX boards in the Roland library out for sure ...which ones have you tried ?
Thanx for the advice

#183531 - 07/22/06 08:58 AM Re: I just want to talk to G70 fans........!!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Dnj, you can listen to demos of the SRX boards on Roland's site. Some of them are really nice. When you get the time go have a listen.
www.rolandus.com

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#183532 - 07/22/06 09:17 AM Re: I just want to talk to G70 fans........!!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Dnj, you can listen to demos of the SRX boards on Roland's site. Some of them are really nice. When you get the time go have a listen.
www.rolandus.com

Squeak

Thanx Squeak....yes the Roland library is wonderful the SRX boards can really let you customize your rig beyond belief....I will be looking into these very very soon.

#183533 - 07/22/06 10:18 AM Re: I just want to talk to G70 fans........!!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Rolandfans reply was a dig at what he feels about the sounds in the G70. You've read the rest of his postings about the G70?? You don't need to rush into an SRX board until you've really got into the G70 and decided which particular sounds you can live with and which you HAVE to have replaced (I still don't have one after a year of use - currently I'm waiting to see if they bring out an SRX board to add in some of the sounds from the E80!)

The place to store and quickly retrieve user registrations (UPGs in Rolandspeak) is the User Program Set (UPS). The first thing to know is that as you place UPGs into the Set List, you are NOT erasing them from memory...... So don't worry about overwriting the List. The UPGs are still stored in memory, they just are no longer on the list...... (think of the UPS as a super Set List).

Firstly, I would set up a simple 'basic setup' that you can call styles into and set split points, Vel curves (medium is my fave) and arranger chord modes. Then store that as a UPG and give it a name by doing page 110 in the manual......

Look, I could write for several pages, but you can get the info faster from the manual. There's a good Quick Start section at the beginning........ that'll get you off the ground. Then read the chapter on User Programs and the User Program Set, and after that, well, cover to cover is not a bad idea!

Oh, and make sure (in the Menu->Utility->Startup) that Sound Set Mode is set to Extended (otherwise you don't see all the Tone Patches.

Once you have a basic UPG that gets you up and running the fastest, store it and then make it the default Startup UPG (same menu page). Now your G70 will power up with your basic setup every time.......

I sometimes will ask a store that I'm trading in a gig machine for a new one if I can give them an extra $50 or so to be able to keep my trade-in for a week or so while I set up the new one....... This makes it not such a hassle trying to get things right in too much of a hurry, but I'm sure that if you give the manual a good read, you'll get the hang of the G70 really quickly........

Sorry the Danish Forum is still down, but, as I said, the Tips and Tricks and other parts of the site work just fine.........

Best of luck on the gig!

#183534 - 07/22/06 10:40 AM Re: I just want to talk to G70 fans........!!
Dnj Offline

Diki........thanx so much for the help.....In starting to get the idea of the G70 OS.......the more I read the manual & talk to experienced owners.....your thoughts and ideas make much sense as I have done what you stated many times with previous KB's.....I have all the confidence that I will be up & running on stage in a week comfortably with the G70 after I get it in a few days....No Problems!!
I hope more G70 people chime in also.

Stay well

#183535 - 07/22/06 10:47 AM Re: I just want to talk to G70 fans........!!
Dnj Offline

BTw Diki do you know if the G70 has the variation band selection like VA series used to have eg: bass/Drums, Small Combo, Full Band, etc etc ?..........

Stay well

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-22-2006).]

#183536 - 07/22/06 11:45 AM Re: I just want to talk to G70 fans........!!
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Donny,
You may have already read this post from another forum. Diki was involved with this discourse:

MikeTV
Member posted 02-27-2006 03:27 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi
I own both a G-70 and a PA1X. I have owned the Roland for a while, and it is my regular gigging instrument. The Korg more is a more recent purchase to try out.

To my mind, there is no contest in terms of sound quality. The Korg sounds MUCH better than the Roland. I have spent countless hours working on the G70 fine tuning settings, and it still sounds nothing like as good as the Korg does straight out of the box. It also doesn't sound as good as the VA-76 I used to gig. The PA1X also has far superior styles in just about every genre and much better control over fill-ins and breaks.

That said, the Roland has one of the best thought out operating systems I have come across on any arranger of any brand. It's not absolutely perfect, but it is generally very easy to find your way around and is mostly very logical. You don't need to refer to the manual much, as most operations are obvious. The touch screen on the G70 is a lot better than the one on the PA1X and the visual design of the various screens is much more obvious to use.

I also like the inbuilt solid state memory and the excellent midifile handling of the Roland. It scores very highly for convenience all round.

The keybed feel of each instrument is quite different. The G70s keys have many fans as it has a somewhat more piano-like feel than many arrangers. It isn't weighted, but it has more than average resistance under the keys. The tops of the black notes also feel narrower than on many other instruments. The Korg has a more typical - but good quality - synth feel keyboard. I personally prefer the feel of the Korg, whereas many players like the G70 better. Aftertouch implementation on the G70 is particularly poor. It will only trigger one "effect" per section and is very on-off in feel. This is probably the biggest problem with it. Worst of any touch sensitive keyboard I have ever played. Older Rolands were much better.

To summarise:
* General ease of use and convenience - G70
* Ease of use when in midifile mode - G70
* Ease of use when in style play mode - PA1X
* Sound quality - PA1X (by a big margin)
* Style quality - PA1X (by a knockout)
* Ultimate versatility - PA1X (but learning curve is steep)
* Suitability for entertaining at tea-dances in the old folks home - G70
* Suitability for everything else - PA1X
* Inspiration factor - PA1X (by a mile)

.......but I'm sure others will tell you different :-)

Regards - Mike

#183537 - 07/22/06 12:08 PM Re: I just want to talk to G70 fans........!!
Dnj Offline

Mike thanx for the info.. I was an old Korg fan for many years performing with many of their KB units thru the years....
I always play a KB before I buy one ....& I just feel the G-70 will suit MY NEEDS after playing one & going thru its features.
I'll know more in a few days....
more to come.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online