SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#183500 - 09/22/02 08:11 PM Ketron SD 1, Is it a good synth?
ufriendly Offline

Loc: Bel Air, MD, USA
I am looking for an 88 key keyboard to compliment my SD!.

Motif 8
S90
Triton studio.
or a combo...

Also I have looked at selling my KD 1 as a possible option , and getting a ???. What can I get for it?

Where can I find reviews of the KD1, and how does it compare to the boards above, even the 61 key versions?

No one I talk to has ever heard of a Ketron SD 1

This equipment s for a small project studio. I want equipmnt musicians will come and use. Will they use a Ketron SD1.

thanks
j

#183501 - 09/22/02 09:17 PM Re: Ketron SD 1, Is it a good synth?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by ufriendly:
I am looking for an 88 key keyboard to compliment my SD!.

Motif 8
S90
Triton studio.
or a combo...

Also I have looked at selling my KD 1 as a possible option , and getting a ???. What can I get for it?

Where can I find reviews of the KD1, and how does it compare to the boards above, even the 61 key versions?

No one I talk to has ever heard of a Ketron SD 1

This equipment s for a small project studio. I want equipmnt musicians will come and use. Will they use a Ketron SD1.

thanks
j

I think the Sd1 is a very good keyboard for studio application .

I haven't played the S90 yet , But I hear it's wonderful .
General Music has introduced a new piano called Pro Mega 3 .

You will find all kinds of comments on this forum about the SD1 . We have over 20 (?) owners who follow this forum .
I do not believe any magazine has ever test drove this keyboard for review .

off to bed ! dano

#183502 - 09/23/02 05:55 AM Re: Ketron SD 1, Is it a good synth?
eyrec Offline

Loc: UK
The Organ and Keyboard Cavalcade magazine available in the UK has tested and reviewed the Ketron SD1 and they thought very highly of it. It was a great review. Also, for studio use, it is definitely good.
Being one of the first few people to actually own one of these in the UK, I've had it quite a long time now and can recommend it to anyone who is wanting a top of the range arranger keyboard that has great sounds, styles, ease of use, vocaliser etc. Also, Ketron are great at listening to user comments/improvements and implement them into their new operating system updates.
I also have a Roland G1000 which is a good all rounder and a new Genesys. None is better than the other as they all offer something different and don't sound alike.
The Triton range is excellent and the new Gem pro mega piano is superb, it all depends on what you need.
The Gem Genesys is like having a studio, as you can burn your songs direct to it's internal CDRW. It saves me time having to muck about with sequencing software on PC when I want to record something quickly.

[This message has been edited by eyrec (edited 09-23-2002).]

#183503 - 09/23/02 06:01 AM Re: Ketron SD 1, Is it a good synth?
DanO1 Offline

I would love to get that review eyrec . Is there a link ? dano

#183504 - 09/24/02 08:47 AM Re: Ketron SD 1, Is it a good synth?
eyrec Offline

Loc: UK
Sorry there is not a link as they do not have a web site. It is a subscription only, monthly magazine and is delivered to your door. It's not like Sound on Sound or Keyboard review/player that you can buy in a newsagents.

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
I would love to get that review eyrec . Is there a link ? dano

#183505 - 09/26/02 07:27 PM Re: Ketron SD 1, Is it a good synth?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Generally, I don't like to badmouth a product, but a good friend of mine who has been a Keytron dealer for many years just told me he won't handle them anymore because they break and the mfr doesn't fix. While he was telling me about it, a pro musician guy in the store was looking for a replacement for his Keytron with a busted keyboard. I'd hate to see you buy into a product with lousy support, but George Kaye knows this stuff from 25 years of selling it. He was not angry, just frustrated at having to deal with trades/replacements/repairs. Go with caution, seek alternatives. There's lots of great stuff out there from Yamaha, Korg, Roland.

#183506 - 09/26/02 08:27 PM Re: Ketron SD 1, Is it a good synth?
DanO1 Offline

Mojestic ,

Nice 1st post .

Welcome to the arranger forum .

Are you trying to say that Yamaha , Korg and ROland keyboards are flawless and never have problems ?

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 09-26-2002).]

#183507 - 09/27/02 05:28 PM Re: Ketron SD 1, Is it a good synth?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dan01,
Thanks for the welcome. Not saying the others are flawless, but more free from problems by comparison, at least in George's experience. He sells them all, and was a real Keytron proponent for many years. I noticed other Keytron owners on this forum are satisfied, so who's to say our friend wouldn't be also? I own a Motif 7 and love it, but a minor few on Motifator have had a problem or two. So no one's perfect.

I can't imagine buying a board one hasn't tried out in a store. I've played the Triton Studio at Guitar Center and loved it, but found it built more for the dance/groove musician than for my taste. One might argue the point with me, but it's a personal choice based on my experience. If you take someone else's word for a $2000-$3000 investment, you're risking a disappointment.

I think comments on this board are extremely valuable when they come from hands-on experience. But in the final analysis, you should get what you like (or LOVE!)

Cheers,

Another Dan

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online