SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#183349 - 03/10/07 01:54 PM How I Got This Way...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Several years ago a old friend, Pat McManus, sent me a book called How I Got This Way. Pat is among the best, outdoor, humor writers in the world, and for more than a quarter century was featured in the pages of outdoor life. His book, in many ways, portrays the lifestyle of OMB entertainers, folks that went their own way and did all the crazy things during their youth that makes them wonder how they lived beyond the ripe old age of 12.

Now, at 66, I'm in the "Old Fart" category, collecting Social Security, and looking forward to the day when I can sail south for the winter and perform in the Florida keys until the weather warms in Chesapeake Bay.

What prompted this post is something that clicked in my pea-sized brain after downing a Green Banana Margaretta. I owe so much to the members of this, and a few other forums, for helping me to become a very successful and independant performer, or as some folks put it a One Man Band entertainer. I don't know how many years I have left in the biz, and I can only hope that I am able to continue for at least another 5 years before my voice and timing gives out.

In that light, I would like to sincerely thank everyone that has helped me along the way. The names of these individuals are too numerous to post, but most have been on the forum for quite a while, and I have been fortunate to meet some of them in person.

For those of you that have not done this, I strongly urge you to take the time to visit with some of the Zone members, learn from their experiences, and share this information with the forum.

Thanks everyone,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#183350 - 03/10/07 02:34 PM Re: How I Got This Way...
Dnj Offline

Gary right back at ya buddy!!

I told you something a long time ago & now your realizing it big time!!

Pure & simple .....
& I'm proud to say it....

"I LOVE YOU MAN"

#183351 - 03/10/07 02:57 PM Re: How I Got This Way...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Gary, This forum works many ways, you've been able to take advice and suggestions that have made you a success. Meanwhile you've given very valuable suggestions that have helped me and I'm sure many others. I say thank you as well for sharing what you've learned with us newer members

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Gary right back at ya buddy!!

I told you something a long time ago & now your realizing it big time!!

Pure & simple .....
& I'm proud to say it....

"I LOVE YOU MAN"

Now, Donny care to tell anyone what you told Gary a long time ago?

#183352 - 03/10/07 03:28 PM Re: How I Got This Way...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Now, Donny care to tell anyone what you told Gary a long time ago?

Thats somthing I will leave to Gary if he wishes to do so publicly.

#183353 - 03/10/07 03:41 PM Re: How I Got This Way...
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Hi Gary,

I don't know how much I've helped you, but you have been a great help to me. Every one of your posts teaches me something I din't know. It doesn't get any better than that. Hope you are around for many many more years.

All the best!

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#183354 - 03/10/07 05:27 PM Re: How I Got This Way...
zuki Offline

Gary,

Thanks for your generousity from ALL of us who are in quest of advice. You have helped me get started on my new venue.

You sure don't look your age and I'm sure you're 'young at heart'.

I'd bet you'll be playing a long time and will only enjoy the 'golden years' that much more.

by the way, retired? did you have a career other than music - just interested. You sure are a smart dude

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#183355 - 03/10/07 05:49 PM Re: How I Got This Way...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks guys. Donny provided me with an enormous insight into marketing my tallents. He is a master at this, he's very creative, and his wife Nancy, who manages his very busy schedule, is also his booking agent. They make a great team.

Zuki,

I've been playing music since I was a youngster, played my first paying job at 17, but after a 4-year stint in the U.S. Navy, I went to work for Bendix Field Engineering on Project Mercury. After a couple years, I did a short stint with the Maryland State Police, got married, got shot at, then decided being a cop was not conducive to longevity. I changed gears, went to work at University of Maryland Hospital as a cardio-pulmonary technician, then attended school at the National Institute of Health in Bethesda to learn how to run a heart-lung machine for open heart surgery. After six years at U of MD, I moved to Spokane, Washington and taught cardio-pulmonary technology at Spokane Community College for three years, then returned to Maryland and headed the Pulmonary Function Laboratory at Johns Hopkins Hospital for the next five years.

I walked away from the medical field after nearly 15 years and never looked back. I then picked up a guitar, a drum machine and got back into music part time, performing mainly at smoke-filled, hillbilly bars. At the same time, I began writing outdoor columns for a couple publications. This blossomed into a full time, freelance writing carreer that put me on the masthead of 25 publications. During the day I wrote about fishing, hunting, camping, boating and outdoor related sports. At night I played music.

I still do a little writing, but the music biz has taken off to a point where I perform nearly every day. My wife says being married to me has been anything but boring, and while we have our differences, after 45 years of being married to me she figgures it would be hard to find another as crazy as the one she current is married to.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#183356 - 03/10/07 06:25 PM Re: How I Got This Way...
zuki Offline

Wow Gary,

You've had a full life, like a lot of others here. I enjoyed reading about your career - thanks. Many happy days ahead

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#183357 - 03/10/07 08:25 PM Re: How I Got This Way...
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Gary, DonM, DNJ, Dave, Fran, Scott and many others on this forum got me up and running in a couple of years from scratch with my dinosaur i30 arranger. I'm grateful to everyone here.

#183358 - 03/10/07 09:35 PM Re: How I Got This Way...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Great post, Gary. This forum has been great over the years. It is now in real danger of self-destructing because of the childish bickering. I hope it doesn't.
DonM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online