SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#183096 - 11/26/04 12:19 PM Re: XP-30
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I never demoed the XP60 but I demoed the XP-30 and was not impressed at all by the voices. Just went through some voices quickly, without tweaking, and they sounded extremely dull. Even the saleman at the shop said that a Roland Em25 would sound better. Don't mean to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but I would never buy a board without a quick demo.
Starkeeper

#183097 - 11/26/04 07:02 PM Re: XP-30
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Starkeeper,
What type of amp was the salesman playing the XP through? I'm a former owner of the XP-60, and played the 30 on many occasions. It is by far greater in sound quality than the EM. Plus the 30 has several expansion cards already installed. Play the XP-30 through a good amp or a good set of stereo powered monitors and you'll hear how strong the patches are on the XP.

Also want to add that you have to be cautious with the salesperson when it comes to demoing a board. I personally have found that the reasons boards I've tried sounded flat and lifeless was actually not the board, but because some idiot has the amp EQ settings all screwed up. Plus make sure the sales person knows about keyboards and keyboard amps. Many shops I've been to actually have the synths hooked up to "guitar amps" rather than a good keyboard amp. Poor EQ setttings on amps will really screw up a demo for a synth.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 11-26-2004).]

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 11-26-2004).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#183098 - 11/26/04 09:12 PM Re: XP-30
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Thanks for the reveiws! It shipped today and I should have it later this week! I was looking through a few sites and came across http://www.nathansheldon.com/xp-80/ Great site, lots of patches, songs and demos. Wheres the cheapest place to get a techno exspan board? Ill want one eventually. Can I take patches and load them onto the board?

Thansk,

Phil

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online