SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#182827 - 09/01/07 01:25 AM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I have a new favorite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA9qlWyk-7Q

Ethel Smith....related to Jimmy Smith?

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 09-01-2007).]

#182828 - 09/01/07 01:46 AM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Every Electronic Organ Player knows Tico Tico by Ethel Smith, and this is one of the reasons it is so popular on the Concert scene, unfortunately it was used in the 80s by organists to see how fast they could play, and thus outdo other organists, however fortunately it is now back where it belongs, A Classic.
Apart from Ethel Smith, it would either be the version by Klaus Wunderlich on the Wersi Helios or Max Takano on the Yamaha HX1 that would get my vote.
Isn’t music wonderful?

Bill

#182829 - 09/01/07 04:45 AM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
"Hope I die before I get old..."

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it"

chas

#182830 - 09/01/07 05:42 AM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it"

chas

But make sure you wash it, before using it for your steak

Bill

#182831 - 09/01/07 06:50 AM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
But make sure you wash it, before using it for your steak

Bill

"Why?"

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 09-01-2007).]

#182832 - 09/04/07 04:20 PM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Diki, Chas and others get it. Perhaps some of the popular rythems seem repetitive, but the changes are often complex. Plus, the whole experience often involves interplay between players.

Boring after 10 minutes? Never to me, but if it "ain't your thing" I can see it.

Good, well-thought out posts, folks, this could have turned into a real "bashing" session, but it didn't. And, that's GOOD!

And, Donnie, one of the top historic B-3 tunes from Jimmy Smith and others was "Chicken Shack". I don't have to tell you what appropriater apparel would work if you incorporated that into your act!

R.

#182833 - 09/04/07 04:36 PM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Too old to listen to new music?

We HAVE become our grandparents, haven't we?

#182834 - 09/04/07 06:19 PM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Not me. I love to listen to modern music and I'm a grandpa several times over already. I like a lot of different flavors, including but definitely not limited to jazz. Good blues, good modern rock, even a well done ( and clean ) hip hop song, electronica, experimental genres... etc.

I like many of the B3 players mentioned, along with some that haven't been, but I guess my favorites growing up were Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman, and even though I don't think of him as being quite at the same technical level, Rick Wright, because he played "tasty" . As I was typing that, "Tasty", an old Good Rats tune, kept playing in my head.... you might remember them, especially if you ever "clubbed" in Long Island or the suburbs of NYC in the 70s or later.

AJ

#182835 - 09/04/07 06:22 PM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Diki, Chas and others get it. Perhaps some of the popular rythems seem repetitive, but the changes are often complex. Plus, the whole experience often involves interplay between players.

Boring after 10 minutes? Never to me, but if it "ain't your thing" I can see it.

Good, well-thought out posts, folks, this could have turned into a real "bashing" session, but it didn't. And, that's GOOD!

And, Donnie, one of the top historic B-3 tunes from Jimmy Smith and others was "Chicken Shack". I don't have to tell you what appropriater apparel would work if you incorporated that into your act!

R.

#182836 - 09/06/07 08:55 AM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Diki is so right. There is music of value across all styles. The key is to listen.

Victor Wooten...Robert Randolf family band...the guy who plays the tele/lap-steel combo and often does surf music...Modest Mouse...the list goes on and on (and on).
Traditional B-3 jazz is wonderful, but it (and jazz in general) is not the end-all whewn it comes to music and appreciation.

Thanks for the reminder, Diki.

R.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online