SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#182817 - 08/31/07 03:43 PM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
When I was younger I could never understand the attraction of Jazz, but the older Guys and Gals loved it, but do you know what, I am older now, and I get it.
When youre young, you want to avoid any music that your parents like, but when you mature you realise what you have been missing.

Bill

#182818 - 08/31/07 04:36 PM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
When I was young, I loved jazz (especially big-band and Ella) but it didn't stop me loving the Stones, Motown and the Beatles.

When I was at college, I STILL loved jazz (especially Weather Report, and Return to Forever), but it didn't stop me from loving the Sex Pistols, Elvis Costello and ska bands like the Specials.

Nowadays, I still love jazz (and still love Ella, big-band and fusion, Jamie Cullum and Diana Krall - but not so much 'smooth' jazz!), but it doesn't stop me from loving hiphop or indie rock, or artists like Bjork and Coldplay.

That, for me, is the real trick... To not let your love for jazz stop you from loving less sophisticated musics AS WELL.

#182819 - 08/31/07 04:54 PM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Interviewer speaking with Yogi Berra about jazz.

Interviewer: Can you explain jazz?

Yogi: I can't, but I will. 90% of all jazz is half improvisation. The other half is the part people play while others are playing something they never played with anyone who played that part. So if you play the wrong part, its right. If you play the right part, it might be right if you play it wrong enough. But if you play it too right, it's wrong.

Interviewer: I don't understand.

Yogi: Anyone who understands jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it.

Interviewer: Do you understand it?

Yogi: No. That's why I can explain it. If I understood it, I wouldn't know anything about it.

Interviewer: Are there any great jazz players alive today?

Yogi: No. All the great jazz players alive today are dead. Except for the ones that are still alive. But so many of them are dead, that the ones that are still alive are dying to be like the ones that are dead. Some would kill for it.

Interviewer: What is syncopation?

Yogi: That's when the note that you should hear now happens either before or after you hear it. In jazz, you don't hear notes when they happen because that would be some other type of music. Other types of music can be jazz, but only if they're the same as something different from those other kinds.

Interviewer: Now I really don't understand.

Yogi: I haven't taught you enough for you to not understand jazz that well.

#182820 - 08/31/07 06:33 PM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
Diki Offline

Funny.. funny stuff. Kooky, wacky, funny stuff...!

#182821 - 08/31/07 06:43 PM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
But then again, you would actually have to LISTEN to a pop/rock station to know that...

Diki I think you just answered the question.

#182822 - 08/31/07 06:58 PM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
Diki Offline

"Hope I die before I get old..."

(Well, at least John and Keith got that part right!)

#182823 - 08/31/07 07:12 PM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Too bad that Tony, emitting all that energy and putting his soul into it, is only great for like 10 minutes and then becomes a real bore playing the same thing over and over again. Yet an arranger player can captivate his audience with his soulbearing stare... Oh right, Jazz players don't resort to chicken hats.

If Jazz is repetitious than most giggers here might as well pack up and stop boring their audience with the same chords, fills and runs. As if playing everything in the key of C is not repetitious...

If young people had more access to live-Jazz their number would grow. Inviting Jazz bands to schools might open those kids' eyes.

By the way, owning or having owned a B3 doesn't make one a Jazz player or even an organplayer.

Big Band + 10 minutes =?

Taike

#182824 - 08/31/07 07:29 PM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
Too bad that Tony, emitting all that energy and putting his soul into it, is only great for like 10 minutes and then becomes a real bore playing the same thing over and over again. Yet an arranger player can captivate his audience with his soulbearing stare... Oh right, Jazz players don't resort to chicken hats.

If Jazz is repetitious than most giggers here might as well pack up and stop boring their audience with the same chords, fills and runs. As if playing everything in the key of C is not repetitious...

If young people had more access to live-Jazz their number would grow. Inviting Jazz bands to schools might open those kids' eyes.

By the way, owning or having owned a B3 doesn't make one a Jazz player or even an organplayer.

Big Band + 10 minutes =?

Taike

#182825 - 08/31/07 08:05 PM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
Dnj Offline

#182826 - 08/31/07 09:01 PM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Must be how your audience feels.

Taike

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online