SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#182807 - 08/31/07 06:17 AM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
Dnj Offline

Although definitly B3 is a classic sound in our eyes growing up with so many memories & music....I think kids today couldn't care less if they know what a Hammond is at all.

and still another favorite...our own SZ member Dan O on the ketron SD5...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGwecUM7uDY

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-31-2007).]

#182808 - 08/31/07 09:01 AM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
....I think kids today couldn't care less if they know what a Hammond is at all.

Don't know how you define "kids today", but I doubt if that's true, especially if you're talking about the new crop of aspiring young musicians. If you're talking about some pimply-faced geek at a death metal concert or rave, then maybe you're right, but then if that's the case, who cares?

chas

BTW, I'd be curious to know if your friend, Uncle Dave (doesn't he work with "kids"), agrees with that.

#182809 - 08/31/07 09:51 AM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
That's right, Chas!

R.

#182810 - 08/31/07 09:53 AM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
Dnj Offline

I dont see any Jimmy Smith Mp3s on their Ipods do you?

#182811 - 08/31/07 11:32 AM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Donny, jazz is an acquired taste. Kids in Jimmy Smith's heyday didn't have 45's of his music, either.

There is a small, very loyal base of jazz fans, and that includes younger people.

Foreplay (not traditional straight ahead jazz) sells 500,000 of each of their albums. You probably wouldn't expect to see Mp-3's of their music anywhere, either. And you're probably not "blown away" with their music (I am).

Sometimes the line between music and entertainment involving music is blurred. You are an entertainer first. Others are musicians, with no abiolity to, or interest in entertaining. It's a small (and poor) group, but, thankfully, it exists and helps perpetuate an art form that's a real American treasure.

It "ain't Buffet" (which I absolutely refuse to play), but has an honored place in music history for a fiercly loyal fan base.

R.

#182812 - 08/31/07 11:43 AM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:

There is a small, very loyal base of jazz fans, and that includes younger people.

Foreplay (not traditional straight ahead jazz) sells 500,000 of each of their albums. You probably wouldn't expect to see Mp-3's of their music anywhere, either. And you're probably not "blown away" with their music (I am).

R.

Russ, this young kid has Foreplay on his iPod

So true on the loyal small base of Jazz Fans. A number of years ago the late pianist James Williams was playing at the Knickbocker in Greenwich Village. At 11 PM my wife and I were 2 of the 8 people there taking in his show. Granted James was not one of the better know pianists but nevertheless, he played jazz.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 08-31-2007).]

#182813 - 08/31/07 01:25 PM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
I dont see any Jimmy Smith Mp3s on their Ipods do you?

....and if you visit every home in my newly adopted state of Georgia, you'd probably find more velvet Elvis's on the wall than all the Van Gogh's, Picasso's, and Rembrandt's (including copies), put together. Wonder what that means?

BTW, how come your posts started spiraling downhill, from "favorite B3 player" to "I can onlly take about 10 minutes of jazz organ". Also, what did impress you so about Tony's playing (back when you LIKED Hammond organ)? Was it the Jimmy Smith licks that we all spent hours practicing every day (back in the day), hoping against hope that hand speed and staccatto licks would somehow translate into more tips and applause from the drunks at the bar and more success with the ladies. Never worked. But hey, it impressed you.

chas

#182814 - 08/31/07 01:43 PM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
Dnj Offline

I enjoy the energy Tony emits when hes performing...as I do when I watch any performer play from their soul on any instrument. I get tired of B3 Jazz because of the repetitivness of it all...yes I owned & played B3 & C3 147's cut in half yada yada yada... as a kid in many bands.....when it was the Hip thing to have and nothing that we use now exists
"pre computer age"....when I need a Hammond fix I'll play a few things using my Sd1+ or whatever I have at the moment...sure its not "THE REAL THING" but close enough for me & much more practical ....you people that dole on Hammond fantasizing God speed to you!

enjoy it

------------------

#182815 - 08/31/07 01:51 PM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
I get tired of B3 Jazz because of the repetitivness of it all......when I need a Hammond fix I'll play a few things using my Sd1+ or whatever I have at the moment...

You must be kidding? You just ain't listening hard enough, baby.

Hammond "fixes" can only be satisfied by playing a real Hammond...anything else is just methadone.

Ian

#182816 - 08/31/07 03:07 PM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Although definitly B3 is a classic sound in our eyes growing up with so many memories & music....I think kids today couldn't care less if they know what a Hammond is at all.

You actually got to LISTEN to some 'youngsters' music before you can make that claim, Donny.

Plenty of B3 on still popular bands like Matchbox 20. It's all over the indie rock/pop scene, like Edwin McCain. It's the primary keyboard color for most of the 'jam band' scene like Galactic...

You can't listen to a pop/rock station for 30 minutes before you'll hear a song with a Hammond on. But then again, you would actually have to LISTEN to a pop/rock station to know that...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 08-31-2007).]

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online