SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#182777 - 08/30/07 06:19 AM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
Dnj Offline

Ian....Ive stated my opinion....nuff said

th proof is in the pudding

#182778 - 08/30/07 06:27 AM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Ian....Ive stated my opinion....nuff said

the proof is in the pudding

You're right Donny...and Smith makes better pudding...tastier....better servings.

These guys wouldn't even be playing jazz organ if it wasn't for Jimmy Smith.

They are all just copiers, and you know the saying,"imitation is the most sincere form of flattery"

Even the great Joey Defrancesco says that Smith is the KING.

'Nuff said,

Ian

#182779 - 08/30/07 06:27 AM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

Smith although good cant hold a candle to Tony listen close

This has got to be the single most ridiculous statement ever posted on this board (other than "I'm the King"). If it weren't for Jimmy Smith, there wouldn't be a Tony Monaco (or Joey D). When you're known worldwide by every musician and jazz afficianado, when your very name defines "jazz organ", when every synth in production has a "Jimmy Smith" patch, when you are an innovator and not just another "copycat", maybe then you can start to compare yourself to a legend.

I understand ethnic loyalty (if that's what it is), but come on, give us a break. During the late 60's and early 70's (during the heyday of the jazz organ trio), there were literally dozens of guys that could "smoke" this guy. That's not to say that he can't play, just that he hasn't yet reached legendary status. I'm sure he'd be the first to admit it (listen to his unabashed admiration for Jimmy whom he called his inspiration, as have practically every other modern-day jazz organist).

Being a legend is about bring something lasting to the music scene. It's about interpreting the music with inovation and soul. Jimmy was much, much more than a one-trick-pony with fast hands. Ask any REAL musician.

chas

#182780 - 08/30/07 06:35 AM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
pianodano Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Donny, I disagree...Smith forgot more than Tony will ever know.

He is the King.

Having said that, Tony is still a great player and I have a sneaky feeling that you must be Tony's favorite arranger player.

Ian

I am surely with you on this one, Ian.

Man oh man, the days, weeks, months, even years I spent listening to Jimmy Smith on every album I could get my hands on, in the left ear in a set of headphones, while trying to emulate his passages, timing and technique. Just his passing chords alone could be studied for years. For me, that was a wonderful and inspiring time to be a musican,

Danny

[This message has been edited by pianodano (edited 08-30-2007).]

#182781 - 08/30/07 06:56 AM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
I'd really like to know why Jimmy can't hold a candle to Tony. I think we ought at least to hear some kind of explanation. On the other hand, does BS need to be explained?

Taike

[This message has been edited by Taike (edited 08-30-2007).]

#182782 - 08/30/07 07:16 AM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 09-04-2007).]

#182783 - 08/30/07 08:51 AM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I like both Jimmy Smith and Tony Monaco, the best guy though was Groove Holmes................ JUST KIDDING I did however get to see Groove Holmes at a placed called Sculler's In Boston, I loved his playing as well.

Back to Tony and Jimmy, I dont' recall for sure where I heard an interview with Tony. ( could have been on Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz on NPR). In the interview Tony talked about how Jimmy was his idol. Apparently Tony either wrote or called Jimmy Smith and left a message at Jimmy's studio, I think ( details foggy) that Tony sent Jimmy a recording of his playing. According to Tony about 10 PM one evening the phone rang, Tony's dad picked it up. It was JIMMY on the phone returning Tony's message. At first Tony thought it was a prankster. Turns out it was "The Jimmy Smith" Jimmy told Tony don't worry about playing as many chords as your playing now simplfy them a bit. Meanwhile, if I come across that interview somewhere I'll post the link.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 08-30-2007).]

#182784 - 08/30/07 09:41 AM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I think there are so many B3 players out there who just move us with their ability and soul that it depends on who we've heard and what vein of jazz we prefer.

There is no doubt that Jimmy Smith has to be named as possibly the most influential of all B3 players, if nothing else.

I would like to credit a lot of players for influencing me, but are they the best? Maybe just for me.

#182785 - 08/30/07 10:11 AM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
Dnj Offline

IM glad we all have our opinions

#182786 - 08/30/07 10:12 AM Re: My Favorite B3 Player.........
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
some genius artists are influential, and some are more one-of-a kind. nobody can say one is better just because of the influence, but that is always a factor to consider. the most influential female vocalist of the late 20th century was Dinah Washington. male vocalist- Frank Sinatra. Tony Bennett, Ella Fitzgerald: much more in the one-of a kind category. Pianists, influential: Bill Evans, Errol Garner. One-of-a-kind: Thelonious Monk, Art Tatum. nobody knows why this is so--just is.

------------------
Miami Mo

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online