SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#182468 - 02/04/03 06:13 AM Re: Another great feature about the Fostex MR-8 / 8 Track Recorder
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Yes you can use the midi sync functions while recording. For example with the Fostex I can hook up my Zoom MRT-3 drum machine with the midi sync to the Fostex and it will play back during recording as well as standard playback... Also as far as the Zoom MRS-1044 going for under $500.00..., not anymore.. Since Zoom has released the 1266, retailers are selling out their old stock of the 1044's and everywhere I checked on the web raised their prices up $100.00 from $499.00 to $599.00

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#182469 - 02/04/03 06:23 AM Re: Another great feature about the Fostex MR-8 / 8 Track Recorder
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
OK .... I'll continue to show my ignorance here, and I realize that my thinking is along the lines of multi-track recording on tape .... To record at the highest level (and shouldn't we want to?), if you put down one track that is drums and rhythm accomp that plays from the beginning of the song to the end of the song, that track can only be 3 minutes long (?) .... therefore, regardless of what you put on the other tracks that uses up any amount of time up to 25 minutes, isn't the 'song' still only 3 minutes in length? ... In other words, if all I wanted to record was the backing drums and rhythm of a song, on one track, I would be limited to 3 min? ... OR, being digital, if I'm recording on one track, and I record longer than 3 min, does it automatically find another track to continue on? ...
WHEW!!!... Does anyone understand what I'm saying?!?!?
t.

#182470 - 02/04/03 06:51 AM Re: Another great feature about the Fostex MR-8 / 8 Track Recorder
squeak_D Offline

Ok here's how it works. I guess it would depend on what you're recording.. The 128 mb card will allow up to 25 minutes of total record time in the highest record mode which is at CD quality. The lowest record mode gives you twice that at I think the sound of tape quality (which isn't bad if you're used to using standard tape based 4 tracks)... With the supplied 128mb card the recording length of 3min 6secs is if you use ALL 8 tracks. Again the 128 card is just something included in the price of the unit to get you started. You can use any size card on the market (again this unit has no limits to the size, only limited by current technology). All the digital smart media based units ship with a card to get you started. Fostex is the only one giving a 128mb card with their that I know of. Take for example the Zoom MRS-4 (digital 4 track) This ships with a 32mb card and gives somewhere around 17 minutes of recording time in high quality... However the high quality mode on that unit I think is only 32 khz, and the lowest grade I think is like 16 khz (that's not too good) It doesn't record at CD quality, and even with the 128mb card you get now where near the recording quality you would with this Fostex. Also the Fostex recording is not compressed. So to answer your question "yes" your song can only be 3 mins 6secs if you use ALL 8 tracks for recording in the highest recording grade. Again, keep in mind the 128mb card shipped with this unit is just to get you started.. You can buy larger cards for more time.. Also take a look at the full specs for the Fostex.. You get 8 tracks of CD quality uncompressed recording. Ships with a 128mb card, Nearly every function has a button or knob on the face of the unit to eliminate annoying menus, it has midi sync, USB, built in mic with mic simulator, Guitar FX, Guitar simulator, Mastering, Wave import and export, 2 XLR mic inputs, 2 headphone jacks, S/PDIF Digital Output, and more.. You get all this for only $299.00 For $50.00 more you can get the package deal that included the recorder with smart media card, headphones, carry case, and a mic with cable... I can't name any other recorder on the market with those features in that price range.. This is from the Frequently Asked Questions section on the Fostex MR-8

Frequently Asked Questions... Answered!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do I burn a CD from the MR-8?

You simply export the stereo mix file via USB to your computer. From there you simply burn the CD as you normally do on your computer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What type of Microphone simulators does the MR-8 have?

There are 3 category types: DYNAMIC, CONDENSER, TUBE. Each type contains various microphone models that fit that category type.

What is the maximum CompactFlash (CF) card the MR-8 will accept?

Currently there is no limitation to the maximum size CF the MR-8 will recognize. At the moment the limitation is dependednt upon current technology of the media.

Can I import/export audio tracks to and from my computer?

Yes. This is done in the .WAV format using the USB port on the MR-8.

What type of MIDI implementation does the MR-8 have?

MIDI syncronization. Can be a MASTER using MTC or MIDI Clock To import or export multiple mono files before stereo mixing, a free application “MR-8 WAV MANAGER” is required on the PC, which will be downloadable from the Fostex web site free of charge. Data transfer with Mac requires a third-party CF card reader/writer unit.

How can I archive my 8-track data?

The MR-8 can archive recorded data usinbg either the USB port directly to a PC or Macintosh computer OR it can archive directly out the S/PDIF output.

What kind of amp simulation effects are on-board the MR-8?

BRIT STACK, US METAL, and 60’S COMBO. There are various presets within each of these amps.

How much time do I get from 6 AA battreries?

Just over 2 hours (normal use).

What type of converters does the MR-8 use?

16-bit Delta Sigma.

How many tracks can the MR-8 record at one time?

Two tracks can be recorded simultaneously.

How much record time do I get on a 128MB CF?

Recording time is about 25 track-minutes with 128MB Compact Flash Card. Extend Mode (16-bit/22.05 kHz) doubles the recording time.

Does the MR-8 have phantom power?

No it does not.

Does the optical output support the ADAT lightpipe format?

No. The optical digital output only supports the S/PDIF stereo format.

Is the MR-8 USB compatible?

The MR-8 is only compatible with USB 1.0, not 2.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 02-04-2003).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#182471 - 02/04/03 07:09 AM Re: Another great feature about the Fostex MR-8 / 8 Track Recorder
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
OK .... I'll continue to show my ignorance here, and I realize that my thinking is along the lines of multi-track recording on tape .... To record at the highest level (and shouldn't we want to?), if you put down one track that is drums and rhythm accomp that plays from the beginning of the song to the end of the song, that track can only be 3 minutes long (?) .... therefore, regardless of what you put on the other tracks that uses up any amount of time up to 25 minutes, isn't the 'song' still only 3 minutes in length? ... In other words, if all I wanted to record was the backing drums and rhythm of a song, on one track, I would be limited to 3 min? ... OR, being digital, if I'm recording on one track, and I record longer than 3 min, does it automatically find another track to continue on? ...
WHEW!!!... Does anyone understand what I'm saying?!?!?
t.

Tony,
Let me give you a "ducks and chickens" explanation, which is how I understand things.
Let's take the numbers given for this example...
Total record time 1 track at highest quality = 25 minutes
Total record time 2 tracks at highest quality = 12.5 minutes
Total record time 3 tracks highest quality =8.33 minutes
4 tracks = 6.33 minutes
and so on.

The concept is basically the original total time available divided by # of tracks. Keep in mind too that those are all mono numbers, if you are recording stereo tracks....divide the times by half.

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 02-04-2003).]

#182472 - 02/04/03 07:17 AM Re: Another great feature about the Fostex MR-8 / 8 Track Recorder
squeak_D Offline

Good explanation trtjazz.. Tony, the important thing to remember is this.. The 128mb card is just what Fostex includes with the unit to get you up and running out of the box. You can buy larger cards for more recording time. If you get a chance go to www.americanmusical.com do a search for the MR-8 and with that you'll find the downloadable manual in PDF... In the first few pages there is a chart explaing recording time with cards above 128mb..

Squeak

#182473 - 02/04/03 10:08 AM Re: Another great feature about the Fostex MR-8 / 8 Track Recorder
tony mads usa Offline

squeak and trt ..... Thanks much guys ... I now have a grasp on how this thing works ... so I guess old dogs can be taught new tricks ... (HEY .. who said OLD?!? ) sounds like it would be more than adequate for what I would want to do ... I may have to sell some other gear to get it though ...

thnx agn,
t.

#182474 - 02/04/03 10:18 AM Re: Another great feature about the Fostex MR-8 / 8 Track Recorder
squeak_D Offline

Tony,
Anytime.. Hey this Fostex would make a great addition to any home studio. For the price and features it can't be beat.. I just joined another forum regarding Fostex gear and many owners there said they got really nice ones "dent & scratch" in great shape from places like musiciansfriend... One guy got one for like $204.00, and he said the thing looked brand new as if no one ever touched it.. The only thing he noticed was the picture on the box was half missing..

Squeak

#182475 - 02/04/03 10:45 AM Re: Another great feature about the Fostex MR-8 / 8 Track Recorder
tony mads usa Offline

squeak .... thnx ... can I get one with NO picture for about $150 .... even on ebay they're going for about $300 ....
t.

#182476 - 02/04/03 10:59 AM Re: Another great feature about the Fostex MR-8 / 8 Track Recorder
squeak_D Offline

I wouldn't buy one on ebay if the price with shipping goes above $299.00 Every where on the web they're selling for $299.00 and I think this price limit was set by Fostex and dealers cannot exceed that. If you can get one off ebay for $299.00 or less including shipping go for it.. You have to watch it with some dealers and people on ebay.. Many will set an attractive price for the gear, but nail you with the shipping...

Squeak

#182477 - 02/04/03 11:31 AM Re: Another great feature about the Fostex MR-8 / 8 Track Recorder
tony mads usa Offline

Sq ...... fact is I won't be buying for a little while anyway... Have to get some other things squared away first .....
I've bought a few things from ebay and have been fortunate thus far ...
t.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online