SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#182341 - 09/19/07 09:34 AM Re: Pa800 just tried one (review)
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
most likely will ween myself off the need for the Laptop[/IMG]

Donny, SMART move !

Our keyboard's ability to automatically call up lyrics/chords via Reg/Songbook effectively eliminates the audience distraction that a standalone device (music sheet stand, musicpad pro, and/or laptop) presents. I could never go back to the days when arrangers didn't support this now. - Scott

#182342 - 09/19/07 09:40 AM Re: Pa800 just tried one (review)
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
My last shipment of PA800 has been I beleive 1.50, my demo board has been updated to 1.51

Korg ships them out as they come in, so if they are still shipping 1.01 that means the new batch hasn't arrived yet

#182343 - 09/19/07 11:24 AM Re: Pa800 just tried one (review)
Dnj Offline

Thanx Frank....your the best !

1.51 makes a BIG Difference.

#182344 - 09/19/07 11:41 AM Re: Pa800 just tried one (review)
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Donny, SMART move !

Our keyboard's ability to automatically call up lyrics/chords via Reg/Songbook effectively eliminates the audience distraction that a standalone device (music sheet stand, music pad pro, and/or laptop) presents. I could never go back to the days when arrangers didn't support this now. - Scott

Yamaha would hopefully in future models include what the Pa800 has also....
MFD that saves ALL info including Transpose & the ability to play styles/smf/mp3s also....plus be able to have a KEYBOARD transpose LOCK feature that currently Yamaha doesn't incorporate .....on You can set it for the current songs but when you change reg it reverts back to a default OFF setting Argggg! These transpose features come in very handy when people sit in to sing in different keys.

#182345 - 09/19/07 05:12 PM Re: Pa800 just tried one (review)
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Yamaha would hopefully in future models include what the Pa800 has also....
MFD that saves ALL info including Transpose & the ability to play styles/smf/mp3s also....

Though I don't utilize smfs or mp3s when performing, I do need to ability to in auto accomp mode, QUICLKLY call up songs (from a large database 300-500+ songs) with appropriate style, lyrics, and settings (transpose,etc) automatmatically called up.

Assuming Korg's Songbook feature allows you to easily scan & search & (on the fly) call up song titles similarly as Yamaha's MFD does, but allows you save ALL saveable REG saveable settings (including trans), this is indeed a feature avantage of Korg vs Yamaha. I acknowledge the Yamaha MFD feature pretty much useless in actual performance because it can't store anything but the style and tempo. For that reason, I created 30+ banks of REGISTRATION BANK FILES (8 songs per file) and able to scan them and call up song with proper settings on that fly that way. Donny: perhaps you can share more information (detail) about the way Korg's "Songbook" feature works for calling up songs 'on the fly' in performance compared to the REGISTRATION BANK memory system I outlined on Tyros2.

Quote:
be able to have a KEYBOARD transpose LOCK feature that currently Yamaha doesn't incorporate .....on You can set it for the current songs but when you change reg it reverts back to a default OFF setting Argggg!

Donny. Can you please provide more detail on the Korg PA800 TRANSPOSE LOCK feature? Tyros2 supports this but simply checking the Tranpose checkbox in Memory Contents and then activating the REG Memory "FREEZE" button.

Quote:

These transpose features come in very handy when people sit in to sing in different keys.

Sit in to sing what? along to SMF playback or you providing live arranger mode accompaniment keyboard playing? Though, like I said above, don't utilize SMFS myself, I would expect that the Yamaha Freeze button would work with SMF playback as well, no? Thanks for your insight.

Scott

#182346 - 09/19/07 06:50 PM Re: Pa800 just tried one (review)
Dnj Offline

http://www.korgpa.com/pa_root/en/support/tutorials.html

http://www.korgpa.com/pa_root/video/Pa800/Pa800_video_tutorial.wmv

Two Pa800 Tutorial videos.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-19-2007).]

#182347 - 09/20/07 03:56 AM Re: Pa800 just tried one (review)
Dnj Offline

I would expect that the Yamaha Freeze button would work with SMF playback as well, no?

I'll try to remember off hand....

try this on your 3K/T2....

Play a SMF song push both transpose buttons at once to make sure your in key of C

While the SMF is playing push the Transpose button down a few times you will hear the song key transpose Down

Now in order to Stop this from happening you need to go into the menu & out of your choices and click Transpose "KEYBOARD" only NOT SONG

This will now allow you "While the SMF is playing" to transpose up/down without effecting the SMF song

when the song is over go back to a registration and play a few songs with style........

Stop & go back and play a SMF song press the transpose while the song is playing & it will default BACK TO SONG MODE ....correct?

The Pa800 has a GLOBAL LOCK Keyboard only Transpose feature you can write.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-20-2007).]

#182348 - 09/20/07 05:20 AM Re: Pa800 just tried one (review)
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Donny,
you CAN tell Yamaha kbs to allow the transpose to affect KB, song or all. I keep it to KB only on my setup so I can fool with different keys during a sequence and the song doesn't change key.

Sometimes, for example, if the song is in E and I want a bluesy feel - I can do slide offs better in F. I get a better feel without scacrificing vocal comfort.(my #1 priority at all times)

#182349 - 09/20/07 07:06 AM Re: Pa800 just tried one (review)
dud Offline

Loc: israel
IT is A matter of taste!

for me - a professional player for the last 33 years- the PA800 is a BOMB ' the best key board i'v ever had. but it took me about 3 months to change sounds 'to get good samples from the netand friends, to make a few drum sets 'and to change the styles to my needs.

friends and audience notice the quality' and I 've got a very light and compact bomb in my hand.

#182350 - 09/20/07 08:25 AM Re: Pa800 just tried one (review)
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by dud:
it took me about 3 months to change sounds 'to get good samples from the net and friends, to make a few drum sets 'and to change the styles to my needs.

Yep, the time frame you gave sounds pretty much 'in the ballpark', especially with so many features & tweaking/editing capabilities to discover, learn & then finally adjust to just your liking. Though I was certainly able to take my keyboard (Tyros2) out the same week I bought it, I too didn't experience its full sound potential till many months later after finally learning about & mastering the pleothera of adjustments/settings available to further improve the sound & styles, as well as create custom regs for my entire performance repetoire. It's up to us to take the time to learn & master the full potential of our keyboards, as their out of the box sound is typically only a starting point to work from. Dud, looking forward to perhaps hearing a song recorded by you on your newly tweaked BOMB!. - Scott

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online