SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#182311 - 09/16/07 11:22 AM Pa800 just tried one (review)
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Hey guys,

I on vacation here in sunny orlando, home of mickey. With all the great emails received I found a dealer (Discount Music)who has korg, yamaha arrangers. I finally was able to get my hands on a pa800 to try. I, as many of you have read recently bought a T2 last month. I bought it on just reviews and previous history with yamaha navigation and sounds.

I arrived at (discount music) was happily greeted by a manager, his name was Roman.
I told him I was visiting from boston and I was a T2 owner , contemplating purchasing a possible second board to use in conjunction with my Tyros2. He told me he had a PA800 and a PA1x pro. He immediately went and connected them side by side through a nice pair of powered studio monitors.

First impression, The Pa800 looks like a toy.
for some reason the blue color mixed with white buttons, silverish accents and grey speaker covers takes away from it looking like a pro board on the exterior.
before anyone thinks I'm bashing korg, I am a proud owner of a blue Korg Triton Extreme 61)The triton is a dark metallic blue with subtle grey accents.
Back too the pa800 we go. The one touch setting buttons took me about 20 seconds of hard looking to find. Thet are about the size of white tic tacs located right under the display screen, Which is smaller than the T2 screen and not even color to boot.

the style and sounds buttons are really cheap feeling and each button shares 2 styles or sounds using like an a/b button option. Yuck!!

The Keys, in my honest opinion are no better than the s900 key bed (not as nice as the triton extreme even) not sure how they would last over time.

The Styles:
Oh boy!!, this is where it gets worse beside the T2. My friends and fellow Musicians. the good styles are average at best!! The bad ones are just bad!!! A few of the rock styles offer a different feel than some of the T2 and wer ok, but the big band, pop, ballads, R&B, FUNK, are some of the worst and bland I've ever heard, I think my old Psr540 could hang with them. Anyone who said they were Punch and in your face may have been paid off by korg.

The songbook feature was very dull, not many factory songs included,they wer'nt decrypted, like the yamaha but i'm sure the correct names are out there. I know others have stated that the options on saving transpose and other stuff were nice but I didnt utilize them in my experiment.

There were a couple nice drum fills and a 3 count break button,. which was ok.

The Sounds/voices;
I'd love to know what voices korg was to outshine the Tyros 2 on. I tried some of the ones I use most often.

Piano - so so
organ- yuck and thin
sax- not even as nice as a $300 casio
brass- weak, weak , weak
guitar - try again
synth sounds - were descent
woodwinds- flute was fair, that was it
Sorry Korg Lovers!!

The speakers were ugly but sounded comparable to the S900.

There was no separate modulation wheel, the korg has one stick that does both. I want 2, sorry

Wrap up:
I tried the Pa1x pro shortly after. From reading the comparisons of people saying the pa1x pro was older technology, after the disappointment with the PA800. It was gonna be breif. However in my short time with the pa1x i did notice it's build quality was much better, the keys were a lot closer in quality to what i have on my T2.
The speakers were much louder and punchier than the PA800 they styles seemed similar for the most part.

My synth zone friends, "I wouldnt take 3 pa800's for my Tyros2 unless I could resell them on ebay rebuy my t2 and have a party with the leftover cash.

I hope i havn't upset any of you korg players, potential buyers please try them for yourself first, you may have a different opinion.

But I would like to give huge props to roman and his staff at discount music in orlando for being so friendly and helpful.

Another Dealer is Frank from Audio works in CT. I've spoke to him a few times, he is a great friendly smart guy. and his prices are excellent.

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.balloonanimal.com
www.1000colorcards.com

#182312 - 09/16/07 11:45 AM Re: Pa800 just tried one (review)
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Mikey, what OS was it..Was it the current one?

#182313 - 09/16/07 11:50 AM Re: Pa800 just tried one (review)
mikey_maestro Offline

Fran, I'm honestly not sure. I didn't dig that deep. But the sales rep told me it just came in, Whatever that means, maybe korg hasn't updated their new boARDS YET!

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey
www.mikeymaestro.com www.balloonanimal.com www.1000colorcards.com

[This message has been edited by mikey_maestro (edited 09-16-2007).]

#182314 - 09/16/07 11:52 AM Re: Pa800 just tried one (review)
Dnj Offline

Although I cant agree...Was it OS 1.51?

#182315 - 09/16/07 12:16 PM Re: Pa800 just tried one (review)
mikey_maestro Offline

again, i'm not sure donnie, but jury seems to be out on the factory loaded stock software. BTW nice website Donnie, enjoyed your demo songs, I used the midi file Buble rendition of summer wind, It's great. You used some really nice midi files, do you have any web links for them.

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.balloonanimal.com
www.1000colorcards.com

#182316 - 09/16/07 12:30 PM Re: Pa800 just tried one (review)
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Thanks for the honest review, Mikey, it is eye-opening at best.

Ian

#182317 - 09/16/07 12:35 PM Re: Pa800 just tried one (review)
Dnj Offline

Mickey........email me we'll talk.

#182318 - 09/16/07 01:03 PM Re: Pa800 just tried one (review)
mikey_maestro Offline

Donnie,

Just sent you an email, call me anytime

508-558-3500

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.balloonanimal.com
www.1000colorcards.com

#182319 - 09/16/07 03:28 PM Re: Pa800 just tried one (review)
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I don't think Mikey likes the Pa800!

My Dad always says "that's why there's chocolate and vanilla!"

Man - are we at opposite viepoints, huh? Just shows to go ya ...... you GOTTA play these things for yourself. Find out what works for you. It's funny - Mikey posted as a gentleman, and spoke his mind, but boy, oh boy ..... I cannot agree with ONE thing he said. I do understand him though ..... I wouldn't play a T2 if it was given to me. Funny thing - likes and dislikes!

#182320 - 09/16/07 03:56 PM Re: Pa800 just tried one (review)
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Just to be fair to those who believe everything they read - I MUST share opposing viewpoints ! Mikey stated his case with grace and candor. I will do the same, so you may hear all voices speak from experience. Thanx, Mikey !

Quote:
Originally posted by mikey_maestro:
The Pa800 looks like a toy.

**Funny, that's how I see the psr line. Seriously. Give me the PA anyday.

Quote:
The one touch setting buttons took me about 20 seconds of hard looking to find.

** I found the layout to be very easy to navigate. Buttons are right under the screen, and have touch-screen counterparts as well...and they show the NAMES on screen!

Quote:
the style and sounds buttons are really cheap feeling

** Well, that's simply personal opinion. I disagree. Chocolate? Vanilla?

Quote:
The Keys, are no better than the s900

** I believe they are much better. They have a longer throw and a solid feel. Let's not go there!

Quote:
The Styles are some of the worst and bland I've ever heard. Anyone who said they were Punch and in your face may have been paid off by korg.

**We've been over the style wars so many times. Yamaha is simple and direct, Korg is Flashy and ornate. I'd prefer a balance between the two. The second part about payola ... I'm sure was a joke.

Quote:
The songbook feature was very dull

** I think the songbook is superior to everyone I've seen so far. It even remembers to switch between song and style mode for you.

Quote:
The Sounds/voices;
Piano - so so
organ- yuck and thin
sax- not even as nice as a $300 casio
brass- weak, weak , weak
guitar - try again
synth sounds - were descent
woodwinds- flute was fair, that was it

**Too subjective here. Listen for yourself. I sound better with the Korg voices, but that's just me!Here's my list:
Piano - on par with T2 - sounds great Mono
organ- great expressive control
sax- tenor sax - one of the best growls
brass- tweak, tweak , tweak they're great
guitar - soooo sweet
synth sounds - everyone does this good
woodwinds- flute and clarinet - Mmmmm

Quote:
The speakers were ugly but sounded comparable to the S900.

** Ugly? Hmm..... never saw THAT one coming. They "sound" better to me than any others, including the PA1x. Compared to the yamaha ... well, they are in another league as far as my ears tell. The Yamaha speakers do not handle my singing as well with the music. I'm a strong singer, maybe everyone else sings quieter. The psr speakers are very well suited to psr sounds. no so much for external voices.

Quote:
There was no separate modulation wheel

** I prefer this method - easier to do both tasks without removing your hand. Saves space too

Quote:
"I wouldnt take 3 pa800's for my Tyros2

** OK, OK. This one is a personal judgement and should be taken as such. I offer the exact opposite viewpoint, so add that to your research folks. I'd actually rather have a psr-s900 than a T2 because of the "silent-slab" syndrome.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online