SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#182272 - 02/28/05 08:09 PM Re: Building a home studio, wiring questions
harosha Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
One more thing, I highly recommend running conduits (pvc or flexible plastic pipes) inside the walls for wiring. Doing this, you can fish wire any kind of wiring inside your studio. The cost of flexible plastic pipes is really not much.

#182273 - 02/28/05 08:31 PM Re: Building a home studio, wiring questions
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Thanks for the very useful information harosha!

I had no clue that those panels were so specially designed! Maybe that is a little too advanced for me yet. I might pick up the foam you can find at MF.

I like you idea about the 1/4 wallplates, that looks fairly easy. For cables is http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=100-297 the correct type? Could I possibly fit 2 1/4's on one plate? I will be needing around 12, 1/4's and that many singles would most likely become too crowded.

Thanks!

Phil

#182274 - 03/01/05 07:03 AM Re: Building a home studio, wiring questions
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Phil,

You have mail!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#182275 - 03/01/05 07:13 AM Re: Building a home studio, wiring questions
harosha Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Yes, this cable should be fine. You may need mono connectors for it. You should be able to fit two 1/4" jacks easily on one single gang plate.

The Auralex foam at MF works fine, if you don't mind the looks

#182276 - 03/01/05 10:04 AM Re: Building a home studio, wiring questions
YamahaAndy Offline

Pennywizz6,

I am about to do the same thing as you'll do, I mean turn the garage at my parents house into a home recording studio. I think we have a lot to discuss...!

The garage at my parents house has two rooms: one for a band and one small room for the production and editing. My project is basically a keyboard,guitar,vocals thing produced by myself, so that's why I'll spend most of the time in the small editing room. That room is currently finished and I'm about to equip it with production tools now.
What I'd like to achieve is basically a music laboratory, I mean production at a very low level. My main focus is surround sound. That expresses advanced mixing together with basic laws in dynamics and really trying to discover what role surround plays in music and what kind of relationship there is between a musician that expresses himself in a state of incredible lightness in digital format in a way that collides with what surrounds sound really brings. My focus with the project is also to get a basic understanding of the key elements in rich sound both overall and per instrument and then learn how to maximize productivity and making good decisions in the studio when creativity, technology and knowledge is united.

Currently I'm thinking about where in the room I should place each unit I have. I am also thinking about what soundcard I should by. I am thinking about the RME Fireface 800.

What kind of recording setup will you run?

Please respond!

Best regards,
YamahaAndy

#182277 - 03/01/05 10:28 AM Re: Building a home studio, wiring questions
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My advise...? Don't order ANYTHING for your studio shipped via US Mail....it will NEVER make it to Minnesota.....(Ha!).

Russ

#182278 - 03/01/05 01:22 PM Re: Building a home studio, wiring questions
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Hehe Russ, no kidding, at least I wont let USPS do it!

Gary, Thanks alot!I shot one back at ya

Andy, sounds good,man! It will be nice to have somebody in the same shoes to discuss different things for our projects.

I currently use Cool Edit Pro, as my main recording program. Im sure theres better, but I love it, and cant imagine needing anything more. I use a standard 16 channel mix by Behringer and a plain jane 16bit card from my computers input. Yeah well guess what, thats gunna HAVE to change... SOON! I plan on purchasing a E-Mu card, it has recieved great reviews from users, and it has a very nice price tag at 100 bucks.

Your project sounds pretty awesome, id suggest using some studio monitors rather than amps or a PA. I saw a real good deal on http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/600604/ They look quite nice for the price.

Thanks to all for the help, ill be sure to update you with progress.

Phil

#182279 - 03/02/05 05:36 AM Re: Building a home studio, wiring questions
YamahaAndy Offline

Thanks for the link! Right now I am satisfied with my speakers. I have two subwoofers, a home cinema speaker system and 2 active Mackie HR 824 monitors and the speaker set on the Tyros. Currently I'm not planning on upgrading my speaker setup and I also have a couple of extra speakers as well to tweak with when I start recording in surround sound. But the Mackie HR 824 speakers are the best set of speakers I have.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online