SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#182213 - 01/07/05 07:09 AM Re: Royalty Fees for Performing Copyrighted Music !
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Dave and Pro are right...writers and musicians need to be compensated and
ASCAP and BMI are the liscensing agents that make that happen.

I have no problem at all with the process. My concerns are:

1. The tactics (intimidation and threats, mainly)that at least ASCAP reps use.

2. The concern about how collected funds are distributed...how do recipients know if they are being compensated fairly?

I can't imagine that club and restautant owners don't know about ASCAP and BMI. I've only known one that didn't, and he was a novice. Some just wait until they "get the visit".

In earlier posts I wasn't complaining about the process, just the methods I've seen over the years.

Now, the Union...that's an entirely different matter!

Russ

#182214 - 01/07/05 07:36 AM Re: Royalty Fees for Performing Copyrighted Music !
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I agree with Russ, and I included my reply to the use of the term "vultures" in my reply to genesys although he didn't use that phrase himself.

Remember that reps from ASCAP and BMI have to deal with restaurant and nightclub owners - not exactly the lilies of the business world. And to the establishment, they see performance royalty fees as a tax to be avoided. In fact, it's just another cost of doing business and the restaurant owners I know accept this and pay it and there is no intimidation used or needed whatsoever. I suspect that when strong-arm tactics come into play it's because and probably in proportion to the resistance to paying... and I believe reps are paid in commissions so it's their livelihood too. It's not a perfect solution and not always a pretty one even, but it's the one we're given until someone comes up with something better.

Yep, I'm not a union fan either. I would be if they worked as hard in states where they are not mandated as they do in states where they are. In "right to work" states here in the South, the union is a joke.

#182215 - 01/07/05 08:28 AM Re: Royalty Fees for Performing Copyrighted Music !
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
One last thing - about the "songwriter in the mansion" image... I collect royalties from my music, particularly some of my commercial music beds. And I've been fortunate that some of my music has been recorded by other artists. I'm not rich nor do I have a mansion, but performance royalties matter to me. I can only hope that all of you have an opportunity to make some money from royalties for yourselves.

#182216 - 01/07/05 08:36 AM Re: Royalty Fees for Performing Copyrighted Music !
bogbrush Offline

Loc: Basingstoke, UK
I played in amateur brass bands here in the UK for many years. The bands are run along the lines of non profit making clubs, but they still have to pay fees to the Performing Rights Society based on copyrighted music played throught the year.

Regards

Keith

#182217 - 01/07/05 09:54 AM Re: Royalty Fees for Performing Copyrighted Music !
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I think the "mom and pop" bars and small bsuinesses should be exempt especially if their main business is not making money from the music.
I have heard of a auto body shop where one of the employees played his own radio at his bay and BMI tried to collect royalties. Beauty shops also are hassled for playing a radio or TV.
So if I'm in my backyard playing my radio and a neighbor can hear it should I be charged royalties?
I understand the writers side but what about the teenage garage band that plays at a local teen center do you want to shut them down because they didn't get the 1/2 penny royalty.
Most of us have played in those teenage bands and didn't worry about royalties.
How about the local bar band that covers your song and someone likes it so they go buy your album. The band should get a commission for selling the album.

#182218 - 01/07/05 11:34 AM Re: Royalty Fees for Performing Copyrighted Music !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It's a very involved issue.

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 01-14-2006).]

#182219 - 01/07/05 11:39 AM Re: Royalty Fees for Performing Copyrighted Music !
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
The question I have (and this thread and some of it's posts have gotten so long I don't know if the answer has been given) is - who gets the money?!?!? If it goes to the composer how do they know to whom to pay what?
thnx,
t.

#182220 - 01/07/05 12:07 PM Re: Royalty Fees for Performing Copyrighted Music !
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
[b]ASCAP nd BMI rule every place I ever worked. They have stickers on the front door, just like a Zaggat rating and the club pays a fee based on the number of seats and type of music played.
There is no way around it ... if you use other peoples music to enhance your business ... you need to pay.

The same here in Brasil.
Our local copyright office is named ECAD.

Chico

[This message has been edited by ChicoBrasil (edited 01-07-2005).]

#182221 - 01/07/05 01:05 PM Re: Royalty Fees for Performing Copyrighted Music !
mikeathome1 Offline

You know who gets the money, the lawyers, the collectors, the book keepers, all the office people and officers of the corp of ascap and bmi. And they trickle down a half a penny to the artist just to keep it legit

#182222 - 01/07/05 02:00 PM Re: Royalty Fees for Performing Copyrighted Music !
mikeathome1 Offline

I'm sure I'll be corrected but my limited,unofficial understanding is only the melody and words make up the copyright. So the key wouldn't matter. The arrangement and chord progression cannot be copywritten.
yea yea yea I know I don't know what I'm talking about and how dare me.......etc. etc.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online