SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#181654 - 09/28/03 07:27 PM Re: Playing arranger keyboard with other musicians
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Yup - rhythm is the master...with or withOUT actual drums.
We had a sax sectional rehersal in Jazz band one day and our teacher made us experience the element of "swing" without the drums or bass. The rhythm comes from all areas of the arrangement, and eben without a steady backbeat - you can feel the groove .... IF you were born with the gift.
No ammount of study can teach you swing. You either got it, or you don't.
Swing's the thing !

#181655 - 09/29/03 09:47 AM Re: Playing arranger keyboard with other musicians
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Amen to that Uncle Dave!
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#181656 - 09/29/03 10:45 AM Re: Playing arranger keyboard with other musicians
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
When I'm playing in the 5 piece band we use my arranger (X1) for some of the more complicated Latin rhythms like Samba and Cha Cha. Our drummer doesn't really care for this but goes along because of the improved sound. He tries to play along and as long as he listens (that's the key) he does ok. Usually after the song gets going, he gets carried away, plays louder and thinks he is still on the beat. Of course he isn't, so I give him a look and he backs off and again plays in tempo.

Drummers hate arrangers because they think they all have perfect rhythm. We know better don't we?

Tom

Tom

#181657 - 09/29/03 10:59 AM Re: Playing arranger keyboard with other musicians
danb Offline

Try it the other way around so that you will know how really good he is in a beat. I saw a group of 3, keyboardist, percussionist and guitar player and they are really groovin'. The keyboard player is using an arranger keyboard but he turned off the auto-rhythym and they sound pretty good. Can he (your percussionist) do something else other than playing bongos? If not then you don't need him.

#181658 - 09/29/03 08:40 PM Re: Playing arranger keyboard with other musicians
Vquestor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:

Drummers hate arrangers because they think they all have perfect rhythm. Tom

"Amateur" musicians hate arrangers and
sequenced music PERIOD.

We know better don't we?
Tom,you must play with some real "amateur" drummers if you truly think that.

[This message has been edited by Vquestor (edited 09-29-2003).]

#181659 - 09/29/03 09:27 PM Re: Playing arranger keyboard with other musicians
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
The bongo player cannot really do anything else. She just have to keep the beat, that is all. Or I will have to stick my ear closer to the speaker to hear the drums of the arranger to keep the rythms. Thanks guys.

#181660 - 09/29/03 09:58 PM Re: Playing arranger keyboard with other musicians
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
One of my favorite "Duo" combinations is to add a percussionist (NOT a trap kit) to my rig. My "first call" guy plays congas, bongos and timbales.....really adds alot to the mix without doubling any parts !

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online