SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#181324 - 05/19/06 08:01 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
As you might expect , I prefer the Tyros2 version, which to my ears, sounds richer & fuller bodied, with the indvidual instruments better 'coming together' to form a an 'integrated' band sound. The G1000 version on the other hand, though certainly impressive sounding as well (especially considering it's 1997? vintage), sounds a little thinner, with each individual instrument sounding 'pasted on' at certain points in the sound stage, sounding a little isolated (versus integrated) from one another.

The bottom line is it all comes down to personal taste, plain and simple. C'est la vie, live and let live. - Scott

#181325 - 05/19/06 08:04 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Dnj Offline

I liked the first MP3....

the second seemed like it had too much efx on it & boomy bass.

#181326 - 05/19/06 08:09 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Scott you made a good point..the Tyros2 recording is meshed together like a real band...a band recorded in a garage..
Actually the Tyros2 mimicks Doggett's version ...it also sounds badly recorded[garage]..

#181327 - 05/19/06 09:06 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
MrEd Offline

I usually stay out of comparison stuff where the responses are coming mostly from individuals that have a history that tends to show a loyalty to specific brand(s)
- - BUT - -
Based on what I just did when listening to the mp3 copies that Mike posted (Thank you Mike) I thought I would pass it along.
(I know I will kick myself in the morning )

I played each one while doing my 9 to 5 work here at the office (my employer).

I realized that if I had been actually performing this, I would have been VERY proud as to what the audience was hearing from BOTH.

I replayed each. A then B, A then B and was hearing something that made me favor 1 over the other. I was not micro-analyzing the 2 because I was pre-occupied with working/typing on the PC.

I said to myself that my ears are picking up on something that i'm favoring with the 1000, but when I went to close the player window on the PC, it maximized the window showing that I was actually listening to the T2.

I called my co-worker over, had him put the headphones on. Several times I selected random starting points in the song. He has never played an instrument but enjoys listening to music. He chose T2 in the majority of the A/B random starting tests.

But again, the bottom line for me and the way I listen and hear things, I'd be proud to have an audience hear either version.

#181328 - 05/19/06 11:01 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Fran Carango Offline

If you want to compare Scott's tweaked Tyros2 version..at least compare it to the real MP3[G1000] that AJ mastered..It was not tweaked..Here is the download link.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=5560236517FCF110

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 05-19-2006).]

#181329 - 05/19/06 11:27 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Owning both the G1000 and a Tyros 2 as you all know, I actually like both versions so I don't want to say I prefer one over the other, but I can say the guitar solo on the T2 version does sound more realistic to my ears.

#181330 - 05/19/06 11:44 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Fran Carango Offline

The next time we do this..let's pick a shorter, more interesting tune...I don't know if i can listen to song too many more times..

But I will have to...Diki is going to record on the G70 for us..

#181331 - 05/19/06 03:06 PM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
MrEd Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
The next time we do this..let's pick a shorter, more interesting tune...I don't know if i can listen to song too many more times..

The 'Minute' Waltz.

I did learn today just how DIFFERENT non-musicians hear things.
I mentioned above, a coworker doing the A/B comparison... but for grins, I copied all the versions onto a CD with the tracks named A,B,C and asked other coworkers to listen and choose 1 track that was their favorite.
NO particular track had dominated, but when I asked each person what was their reasoning for the track they chose, the responses were wild, contradicting, even extremely opposite to the reasoning that someone else had given.
I did this in separate tests, so nobody heard the feedback of others.

Makes me wonder 2 things:
(1) Can a very inexpensive Casio arranger satisfy the ears of the general public?
(2) Do the manufacturers of the arrangers have subliminal suggestions built into the styles telling the owner, "You love this (brand) ... there is no other (brand) for you.

HEY!! maybe you style tweaker/creators can build some subliminal suggestions for audiences like 'Tip $50'

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 05-19-2006).]

#181332 - 05/19/06 03:42 PM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

Oh My God.... Please lets do something shorter. I know that I have listen to this file far to many times. Sufice to say they both have good points. I think that alot of instruments do better when there is a multitude of sounds being mixed together. However, if you were to isolate just one of the sounds from the mix your take may be different as to the authinticity of that particular instrument. Let's do this again some time with a 30 second snipit of a song.
PLEASE

Dennis

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#181333 - 05/19/06 05:50 PM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Goodness................all this fuss!!

Since getting my Tyros2 in January I have been very pleased with how it plays back good commercial midi files. It seems to do GS midi very well since it now has GS banks. I have also been editing these midi's by assigning the Tyros2 SA and panel voices. Personally, when I first listened to the G1000 version, I thought the piano sounded "cheap" and very "80's midi piano". I have gotten so used to Tyros2 voicing, that anything else sounds lacking. Just my 2 cents worth..............-charley

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online