SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#181334 - 05/19/06 07:10 PM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Charley. that SMF selected a Honky Tonk type piano..it was suppose to sound cheap..

#181335 - 05/20/06 05:52 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Duh!!..............I know what a honkytonk is supposed to sound like. I stand on my original post. It's obvious all of our ears are tuned differently. Best wishes. -charley

#181336 - 05/20/06 06:15 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Fran Carango Offline

Diki, did you get a chance to record the G70 version?
I am interested in hearing the G70..
If for any reason you decided not to post it, would you please email it to me..Thanks

Charley , I listened again[!!!]..Thankfully, I only have to rely on my ears..

#181337 - 05/20/06 07:22 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
The next time we do this...let's pick a shorter, more interesting tune...I don't know if i can listen to song too many more times

Better 'count me out' next time. As you already knew, commercial SMF playback, in an attempt to duplicate(?) the cover version is just, NOT my thing. Making music (to me) is about performance artistry, and musicianship, so it's interesting that so much emphasis is being placed on how good/bad commercially produced smfs sound played back (alone) thru our keyboards, while NOTHING is discussed about the live arr keyboard playing techniques used while playing along with them. Fran, how about instead, posting some new songs to showcase your live keyboard playing style used + vocals, when performing with your commericial smfs. - Scott

#181338 - 05/20/06 08:00 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Fran Carango Offline

Scott as I mentioned before the SMF adventure was a convenient way to illustrate "OLD" verses "NEW" sounds{basically a sax was the intended instrument]..

It was not a Pro /Con SMF post..

As for me posting "my" demo songs...what is the point?

If you want to hear what I do, come to one of my gigs..I can spontaneously play most request[arranger play]..without the written music..for a smooth no panic "find the music and set up the board" performances...

My weakness as with many..is remembering lyrics...keep in mind I never had to be a strong vocalist..the people I worked with are/were top artist.
I have a list of young[and older] ladies, that I would work on the spot of the moment...they are that good, and it is a pleasure to work with them....Now "mood wise" that 's another thing...It seems like a few days every month they get difficult..

Scott knowing you are a trained pianist, I would like to hear you slide away from the overdone arranger stuff..and let us hear your chops[no vocals..please]..

#181339 - 05/20/06 08:34 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:

As for me posting "my" demo songs...what is the point?

Fran, I think by you posting more demo songs, it would perhaps best showcase how 'you' use SMF combined with live arr playing to best advantage, and provide an educational insight for myself & others here as well. Fran, though I'd love to come to one of your gigs, listening to your music over the web would certainly be a lot more convenient (and less costly) than traveling over 2,500 to Levittown,Pa, right?

Quote:

Scott knowing you are a trained pianist, I would like to hear you slide away from the overdone arranger stuff..and let us hear your chops[no vocals..please]..

Though I acknowledge having had formal piano lessons (ages 4-13), I'm first to admit that whatever traditional piano chops I had, are now pretty rusty, because I market myself as a vocalist/arranger keyboard player, not a solo pianist, primarily utilizing pianistic comping techniques to accompany my singing.

Fran, interesting to hear you say that my 'arranger stuff' sounds "overdone" (?) ! On the contrary, my songs, in general, only include auto accomp drums & bass, with keyboard parts and instrumental solos all performed live, as evidenced by my recent songs posted: "This Could Be The Start Of Something Big" & "Nice And Easy".

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 05-20-2006).]

#181340 - 05/20/06 09:03 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Fran Carango Offline

Scott the two songs you mentioned are by far your best,,I also think you did a good job on them..
When I refer to overdone, I pretty much refer to the big band intros, fills , and endings..along with other styles you use..

Likewise as we all do,I have diminished chops..In my case physical work[contractor], sports[avid basketball player], maybe age[?] have taken it's tolls with dexterity.

Scott, I am not sure, but if we lived in the same area..we would be good friends with a sense of humour, that we could kid or even make a point in jest....or maybe I still might smack you beside the head..

My circle of musician friends are also my regular friends...We don't always agree with each other...make fun of each other...and even offer constructive criticism[even when do not ask...but because we are face to face and know our individual personalities, there are no problems even when we strongly disagree..

I am sure when we post[type] none of these characteristics come through...

Maybe you should travel the 2,500 miles, and get to know me, Donny and Dave..
Maybe we all would come away with different opinions and respect...

PS...I would supply a bed for you....of course it will be out on the deck..There is electric out there..Bring your Tyros and you can work on your chops..

#181341 - 05/20/06 09:22 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
The problem with SMF is that if 2 people were to sing over the top of them (on the same keyboard, just the SMF with no parts added) you would get 2 different vocal performances with 2 identical backing tracks. On the other hand if 2 people were to play the song live on the keyboard, you would still get 2 different vocal performances but obviously you would now get 2 different interpretations of the song. That's why I don't like SMF's myself. There is no room for expressing yourself live when the song has already been pre-recorded.
It's each to their own, there is a market for the 100% live entertainer and the musicians that still have to rely on backing tracks/SMF/MP3 etc.

#181342 - 05/20/06 09:38 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Fran Carango Offline

Craig, some good points, but I disagree a little..
First, using SMF's/MP3's doesn't mean you need to rely on them[believe me , we can also play anyway you want],,As I mentioned before..there are venues that we need to use this media..

Second, Arranger play is far from 100% live play. We only control snippets of data, the same data as SMF's...

As for your illustration of playing over a SMF, with vocals...Your point is not always true..
We can use many factors to make the SMF our own, and still have that "Like the record" sound that these venues I mentioned require..

Markers are one of the tools that allow us to use a SMF in a very personal way, Covers[Roland} can make a sequence sound much different without destroying the integrity of the SMF..
Using key changes[modulation] is another tool.

We have just as many tools in our arsenal for SMF's as we do arranger play..

This post is to bring attention to ways to work that maybe others[if not yourself] are not aware..

#181343 - 05/20/06 10:41 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry, guys, but I've got an EXTREMELY busy week, couple of gigs some days, singles the rest, so I'm not going to be able to get the G70 into the house until next week.

Catch you later...........

BTW, do you know about the Purgatory Creek piano comparison website? (http://www.purgatorycreek.com/index.html follow the link to digital piano comparison). They have one standard SMF of a very dynamic piano performance, and then everyone runs it through whatever piano sound they have and post the mp3......... Brilliant!

Someone REALLY needs to do something similar for general SMF playback too.............

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online