SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#181214 - 04/08/03 01:12 PM Yamaha Sound Module
danb Offline

I am looking for a sound module from Yamaha that has a sounds comparable to higher end PSR's or DGX. I know Yamaha makes sound module some of them are big. I prefer a half-rack unit or maybe single space rack mounted one. The motiff rack is good although it's 1-unit rack mount but it's still big and wide. How about the MU series? Are they good?

#181215 - 04/08/03 01:19 PM Re: Yamaha Sound Module
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I was just about to suggest the MU series, and then I saw you mentioned it at the end.. Take a look at the MU's... They're pretty decent sound modules.. Although you already mentioned one unit that I personally feel is great and that's the Motif Rack. It really isn't quite so big.. Granted it fits in a rack width wise, but the height is good. Could easy fit ontop of something..

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#181216 - 04/08/03 01:27 PM Re: Yamaha Sound Module
squeak_D Offline

Forgot to add this.. Check out this link.. Just scroll down the page and you'll see all the MU's listed there with numerous reviews on the models..
http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth/Data/Yamaha/

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 04-08-2003).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#181217 - 04/08/03 02:21 PM Re: Yamaha Sound Module
The Accordionist Offline

DanB -

I used to own a Yamaha MU90. I bought it used from SamAsh for $150 a couple of years ago. I midi'd it up to my Technics digital piano and honestly was never very pleased with it. The sounds all reminded me of my old DX7; nothing seemed particularly authentic. It ended up sitting on my Technics untouched for probably a year before I traded it for a Line6 Guitar POD.

It was very compact, 1U high and a 1/2 rack module, but I never fell in love with it and couldn't recommend it.

#181218 - 04/08/03 03:39 PM Re: Yamaha Sound Module
Anonymous
Unregistered

The motif rack is the flagship module from Yamaha at the moment.

#181219 - 04/08/03 05:44 PM Re: Yamaha Sound Module
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
All the MU series have been discontinued for some time now. You can get the QY100 which is about the size of a VHS tape. There is an XG voice module with sound editing, a 16 track sequencer, smart media storage, mic and guitar input with effects and the sounds of the MU50.
George kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#181220 - 04/08/03 05:55 PM Re: Yamaha Sound Module
squeak_D Offline

Goerge is right.. The MU's have been discontinued.. Also he makes a good point with the QY.. That thing can be used as a sound module, but you get several other valuable options like a 16 track sequencer and 8 track pattern sequencer, a crap load of drum kits, guitar and mic effects, smart media storage and more.. It's well worth the $499 price tag.. Plus you can even hook up a keyboard to it via the midi jack.. It's really simple..

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 04-08-2003).]

#181221 - 04/09/03 12:27 AM Re: Yamaha Sound Module
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
The MU models tended to be "XG and extras" and did not contain direct equivalents to the stronger voices found in the PSRs. If you are looking for lead type voices then a synth rack like the Motif would be a better bet. I know nothing about the current situation on these items so I'll shut up now!

#181222 - 04/09/03 01:43 AM Re: Yamaha Sound Module
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I sell the Motif Rack and the QY100 (before this the MU models) and I can say that the Motif Rack is hands down the best sounding module Yamaha has ever made. 128 note polyphony, multiple outputs (6), USB, and only 1 rack space. For just under $1000.00 this is a great addition to any rig. If my memory serves me correctly, when you used the MU series as a tone module for individual sounds you could use user made sounds besides the XG sounds, but when in Multi Mode, you were forced to use XG sounds only and if you wanted to edit a sound in the Multi Mode, you were editing any sound you used in this part so if you made the trumpet have a brighter cutoff frequency, any other sound you might use in this part would have the same cutoff frequency. I didn't like this with the MU50 and MU100. Motif works like most pro modules allowing you to use any sound you've created or preset in a multi set up.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#181223 - 04/09/03 06:32 AM Re: Yamaha Sound Module
squeak_D Offline

George Kaye is right.. The Motif Rack is the best one here.... The sounds on that thing are really good. It's well worth the money.

Squeak

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online