SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#181061 - 05/08/07 01:02 PM What made Technic's OS so good?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
So many post in here about how they liked the Technic's OS. Would anyone who used (or still uses!) them care to post about the features that made this OS so popular?

What features were unique to Technics, or what current manufacturer's OS comes closest?

#181062 - 05/08/07 01:33 PM Re: What made Technic's OS so good?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Diki, Perhaps your question would be better answered on the 'technics' page by players who have 'gotten into' their kbs more than I have, but...
I have only owned 2 kbs - technics kn1000 and kn6000 ... I really have not played any others so I cannot comment on them, but as far as technics is concerned, I can only say that it is extremely user friendly, especially for finding/changing styles and voices ... many of the features that some other kb owners have wished for (based on conversations on S-Z) I have on the kn6000 ... I can change voices/volumes/pans/effects/etc. in a midi file 'on the fly' while playing that file, ... I can easily 'edit' an SMF while it resides in the kb and save my changes ... the kn6000 has a hard drive where I save SMFs registrations, etc. which can be 'edited' and saved with ease ... each style has 2 Intros and 2 endings and 4 variations at the pressing of a button ... I can 'Easy Record' a song, or parts of a song, and then through 'Realtime Recording' add other tracks as desired ... I can easily edit single notes in a song ... and on and on ... One feature the technics does not have, which I wish it did, is the ability to 'mark' an SMF to return to the beginning, or the bridge of the song ...
I'm not saying technics is better than any of the others, but mine has served me well, and hopefully will continue to do so ...And it's a damned shame Matsu***** stopped manufacturing this board ...
Hope this helps ...
t.

#181063 - 05/08/07 02:27 PM Re: What made Technic's OS so good?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Diki,
I think it ended up with sort of a cult following. I bought my first one back in 1988, then kept upgrading.
I had the Kn800,kn2000,3000,5000 ,7000.
I also owned the module version of the kn2000, & was probably the only person that bought the one & only Synthesizer they produced in the mid 90's ( model name escapes me at the moment W???)

They were a good solid keyboard, easy to use, sounded great. You didn't require a computer if you wanted to edit styles. They even came with their own Style Conversion disk so one didn't require EMC for a pc, you could do it in the KN itself.
KN7000, I think they were he first ones to use a memory card ( sd). The Kn7 could actually be used as an audio soundcard .
The pianist chord recognition was brilliant.
Luved the styles.
They just had very innovative ideas.
It was the end of an era when they closed down.
Update
Actually forgot to mention my favourite function. The KN7 Pads.
They actually stayed in sync no matter when you hit them. Psr pads do some sort of a catch up if you hit them at the wrong time. Technics were brilliant. 2 intruments per pad so you could have bass & piano rythm going or whatever you liked ,sort of a mini style if you added drums from one of the styles. Also pads 5 & 6 had a chord progression, so you could take a break & the pad would do a solo.

Dikki , wish you hadn't brought up this topic, memory lane is making me melancholy again ( haa haa)
best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diki:
[B]

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 05-08-2007).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#181064 - 05/08/07 02:34 PM Re: What made Technic's OS so good?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Rikki I owned one too..WSA1

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 05-08-2007).]

#181065 - 05/08/07 03:01 PM Re: What made Technic's OS so good?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Fran,
ok, we must have been the only 2 suckers to have bought one, haa haa. Technics never made another synth.
Trying to rack my brain, I think they came out during the KN3000 period???
Seriously though, i really luved mine at the time.

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Rikki I owned one too..WSA1

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 05-08-2007).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#181066 - 05/08/07 03:15 PM Re: What made Technic's OS so good?
Nick G Online   content

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Full piano roll editing in the Sequencer and that awesome wide screen that holds all 16 tracks on one page!!!

#181067 - 05/08/07 04:26 PM Re: What made Technic's OS so good?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Nick,
style editing onboard , no pc required.
By the way Nick, who was your Technics supplier?
I used to get mine thru Bob at Associated Electrics. Miss those great discounts.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:
Full piano roll editing in the Sequencer and that awesome wide screen that holds all 16 tracks on one page!!!

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#181068 - 05/08/07 04:30 PM Re: What made Technic's OS so good?
Nick G Online   content

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Good old Bob Ransley haha thats exactly where I bought mine from

I use to work on York Street about a block down the rd from those guys, i use to go in there nearly every day straight for my lunch and play on the keyboards there.

when they closed down they were selling their EW expansion boards for 100 bucks a pop.

i bought the KN6500 upgrade kit and the Pop Production kit expansion boards for 200 bucks all for both!!

[This message has been edited by Nick G (edited 05-08-2007).]

#181069 - 05/08/07 05:31 PM Re: What made Technic's OS so good?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Nick,
haahaa small world. He luved demonstrating those Technics arranger piano's & how well Technics handled complicated jazz chord inversions & how Yamaha messed up the same chords. Took me 5 years to work out what he was on about.Eventually he also managed to sell me one of those( forgot to add that to my list of Technics instruments.)

Gee that was a bargain for those expansion boards though.

Bob moved onto a piano place on the pacific highway for a while, then Ollie took over the job. Hope he's still there, they sell Rolands. Hope to check out the E80 & E50
next time we get down to Sydney.
If I can't have a Technics at least I may be able to get some of the old styles back via Technote.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nick G:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#181070 - 05/08/07 05:45 PM Re: What made Technic's OS so good?
Dnj Offline

I enjoyed my Kn5000.....super KB .....but hated the 6k, 65k, and most of all the 7k with that sunken folding bad design keybed simply horrible to play. Im actually glad they're gone for good.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online