SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#181081 - 05/09/07 05:17 AM Re: What made Technic's OS so good?
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Technics
--------------------------------------------

The Good:

1. Great Styles

2. Outstanding Organ Sounds.

3. The best vocal voices I've heard to date.

4. Real Audio SD Card System... Imagine playing your keyboard along side Frank Sinatra, and then saving that performance on your keyboard!

-------------------------------------------

The Bad:

1. The default save from recording a song
is a "Technics File", rather than the universal "Standard Midi File". Therefore, if you don't perform a lengthly conversion, you can't play your sequence on anything other than a compatible Technics keyboard.

2. Speaking of sharing, the default Technics File Is not backward compatible. Example: A KN-5000 could not play songs or styles that were made on a KN-6000.

------------------------------------------

and The Ugly:

1.The music stand on the KN-7000 seems like it's a block away.

2. The vocal harmonizer, or rather the lack of.

3. The sudden demise of Technics left owners up a creek.
--------------------------------------------

Larry
SynthZone Frapper

[This message has been edited by lahawk (edited 05-09-2007).]

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#181082 - 05/09/07 05:56 AM Re: What made Technic's OS so good?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:
Donny i agree with u the KN 7 was designed terribly but the Kn6 series was superb - The most professional looking keyboard I have ever seen in my opinion and far ahead of its time.

the nice flat round buttons looked so good. I hate the big bulky buttons that the T2 has and how they light up and look like lollies...

So I see we both have a complete opposite opinion about some keyboards especially Technics ....which I dont mind because we are all different....& I usualy take opinions with a small grain of salt because as I have stated before many time here on SZ....
"Let me hear what you got" playing any instrument and that is my bottom line, my ears tell me all plain & simple. Must be why Roland is drawing me closer very day...

#181083 - 05/09/07 07:52 AM Re: What made Technic's OS so good?
Dnj Offline

#181084 - 05/09/07 09:50 AM Re: What made Technic's OS so good?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi All
Here is a KN 7000 Demo from 2002 it has been converted from VHS Tape so quality is not perfect.
You will need Broadband to download it as it is quite a large file.
Enjoy

Bill
http://rapidshare.com/files/30356251/KN7000.wmv.html

#181085 - 05/09/07 11:48 AM Re: What made Technic's OS so good?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Im actually glad they're gone for good.

No doubt only because it gives you one LESS choice to make ...
I can't understand why you would "hate" the kn6000 ...
t.

#181086 - 05/09/07 07:41 PM Re: What made Technic's OS so good?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
seems I'm among a target audience here i can't resist:http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/icons/icon12.gif

got my KN2600 on ebay right now--check it out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140115431039&rd=1&rd=1

miami mo

#181087 - 05/09/07 08:07 PM Re: What made Technic's OS so good?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
No doubt only because it gives you one LESS choice to make ...
I can't understand why you would "hate" the kn6000 ...
t.

Dont get me started... next to the XD9 which lasted 1hr, the 6000 was the second fastest one I dumped after playing it once on stage on one gig .......there were too many things to list here.
Sorry for my honesty.

#181088 - 05/10/07 01:55 AM Re: What made Technic's OS so good?
spalding4 Offline

Loc: england
thanks for that clip abacus re the kn7000. when it first came out i was seriously tempted to buy it. I think at that time the yamaha psr9000 had also just been launched and i was looking at the next logical upgrade for my psr8000.

The technics make was my first keyboard (kn1000 that was an awesome instrument) and i was tempted to go back to the technics products as they had great sounds and a truly integrated intuitive product. The composer function had full sequencer editing facilities and then it had one of the most comprehensive sequencers in an arranger workstation for normal linear programming use. listening to that clip reminded me how advanced Technics were in some aspects of sound synthesis. The saxes were really really. They did not have super articulation but for what was available at the time , they were head and shoulders above the competition, they were good even compared to todays standards and the brass and horns even compared with the best around today sound just so much more warm and authentic. And those organs !!!! i could close my eyes and literally imagine sitting in a club listening to some hot jazz cat throwing down some sick licks and runs on the jazz organ. And in terms of the use of SD cards and internet integration , the KN7000 was just way out in front.

I dont know if Technics were going in the right direction regarding devoting a whole section of this cutting edge instrument to accordion sounds though !!! It definately positioned the instrument in my mind as being more suitable to the older market.

But as could be clearly heard in the clip you posted , technics drums and guitars were just paper thin. Weak guitars , i can live with but the drums are the centre piece of most contemporary music which is predominantly what i play. Also any work done with a technics keyboard was saved in techgnics specific format. That was a serious limitation for me in terms of sharing specific music with other band member that had standard midi instruments.

But thanks again for sharing. Took me right back !

[This message has been edited by spalding4 (edited 05-10-2007).]

#181089 - 05/10/07 02:54 AM Re: What made Technic's OS so good?
Wis Offline

I am a G70 player but I still have my KN7000, a very fine instrument.
Bashing by wrong keyboardsellers is one of the reasons that Technics left the keyboardworld. This is my opinion and this why I hate messages in this forum that are too negative about any instrument.

#181090 - 05/10/07 04:35 AM Re: What made Technic's OS so good?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Wis:
I hate messages in this forum that are too negative about any instrument.

Wis, sorry your too thin skinned ....but forums are for discussion good or bad....& if you cant say what you feel then whats the point, why BS people with fluffed up non honest opinions ....?

I disliked the K6 and thats my personal opinion ....I dumped the G70, T2, & many more also for certain reasons & not filling my needs in certain ways but I still enjoy Roland products.Lets Face it these products have faults & if we dont address them they will never change.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online