SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#180560 - 07/05/07 01:55 AM Re: Arranger KB vs Workstation
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
wow Diki i never new that about the G70... thats such a fundamental feature of sooooo many boards.

why would Roland have left this out?

#180561 - 07/05/07 02:27 AM Re: Arranger KB vs Workstation
to the genesys Offline

Are the Korg 01w and the Roland xp 80 workstations?
Whether a keyboard is a workstation or arranger dependant on the time it was made and the time it is now?

There has to be a minimum requirement to make something a workstation not the max.

#180562 - 07/05/07 02:28 AM Re: Arranger KB vs Workstation
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Diki, I disagree with you...The basic question was...is the so called arranger workstation ..a workstation...and it is...

Even the G70, does have sound edits..maybe different methods of saving[user programs instead of tone banks...so what]
All typical "workstations have different detail features...
You can just as easily select features on a Arranger Workstation, that are not found on a "workstation" only board..

You are given false impressions of capabilities of arranger workstations, and in particular, the G70..

Nick , just because Diki says so, doesn't make it true..

Stop making it more complicated then need be...The Arranger workstation..is a workstation...anyone that has "worked" with one knows that...

Diki , maybe you can enlighten us all...tell us what important tone edits that the G70 and other arrangers from Roland's previous models are lacking...most of the common edit features are there..and yes you can save them....just have to take another avenue that may be different from the typical workstation...

A side point ..typical workstations utilize arpeggiators...to simulate what typical arrangers can do better...play style patterns.....No contest..Look around , and you see new workstations trying to copy arranger features...limited as they are...

We can get just as frustrated .." working" with arranger workstations, as we can "working" with typical workstations......that alone should qualify it as a workstation..

#180563 - 07/05/07 02:47 AM Re: Arranger KB vs Workstation
Nick G Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

Diki , maybe you can enlighten us all...tell us what important tone edits that the G70 and other arrangers from Roland's previous models are lacking...most of the common edit features are there..and yes you can save them....just have to take another avenue that may be different from the typical workstation...

Fran you must realise this will a follow with 32 paragraph response from Diki

#180564 - 07/05/07 03:14 AM Re: Arranger KB vs Workstation
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Nick, you are right...what was I thinking????

#180565 - 07/05/07 03:16 AM Re: Arranger KB vs Workstation
Nick G Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Nick, you are right...what was I thinking????

u just go back to playing your G70 Workstation LOL

#180566 - 07/05/07 04:37 AM Re: Arranger KB vs Workstation
spalding4 Offline

Loc: england
The words "workstation" have no set meaning anywhere in the music world. But Diki is right in that there is a general understanding about the limitation of arranger "workstations" and pro "workstations. But in all honesty the difference relates more to how you use the keyboard than what the keyboard is.

The true difference between an arranger workstation and a pro workstation is the degree to which you can manipulate the music, notes ,sounds and effects to come up with a completed piece of music. In reality both types of instrument rightly deserve the title "workstation".

#180567 - 07/05/07 06:38 AM Re: Arranger KB vs Workstation
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
It's interesting how the word "workstation" can stir up things When you break it down, they're BOTH workstations, BUT workstations that each operate on a "different" platform.

You got your arranger workstations, and synth workstations. I think the confusion is compairing the two as a whole. Don't compare arranger workstations to synth workstations. Compare the arranger workstation to other arrangers that may fall short of what's considered an arranger workstation. (if that makes sense)

Fran pointed out that synth workstations are trying to copy arranger features.., but my friend--that door swings both ways because you see arrangers trying to copy synth workstation features as well

Both are workstations. One functions with the expected features you'd find on an arranger workstation while the other focuses on the features more often needed and used by the synth gurus. The real truth is most arrangers aren't bought for their voice editing abilities. It's the sounds and styles. It's been like this for years. You got your synth junkies (me being one), and your arranger junkies. We're all junkies..., keyboards are like musical crack for us. They cost a shit load of money, we always want more, and detoxing is a bitch!
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#180568 - 07/05/07 10:07 AM Re: Arranger KB vs Workstation
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
One trend that I do not like is that if anything my latest arranger ( Tyros 2 ) has become less of a "workstation" in that the patch editing power from inside the board is virtually non existent. I need to be hooked up to a computer. This isn't a big deal with acoustic instrumentation, because I really don't see the ability or need to do much beyond what the presets can do, but it's a whole different story when we talk about synth based sounds. Is this also the case with a G70 ?

When I had the PSR740 a few years ago, it was a mid range model, not a flagship, yet there was more voice editing power in it than inside the T2. I still needed to be hooked up to a computer though for any detailed edits.

The MZ2000 and PA80 are far better for me in this one respect, in that the full editing power is accessible from inside of the board, and both of these boards have plenty of editing capabilities. It's the one thing missing on the T2, and frankly, many of the T2 synth presets aren't that pleasing to me to begin with.

AJ

#180569 - 07/05/07 10:35 AM Re: Arranger KB vs Workstation
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
You're spot on about the MZ-2000 AJ in terms of synth power. That board is quite dated by today's standards, yet it still blows the Tyros 2 and PSR-3000 clean out of the water in terms of (internal) voice editing. If I remember correctly the MZ lets you have up to 4 osc, along with numerous editing options per osc. The MZ's effects weren't too bad either.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a Casio MZ-3000--I won't hold my breath though

I do however feel the strongest "synth arranger" (closed system that is) has got to be the Korg PA series.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online