SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#180131 - 03/27/06 09:49 AM Re: Aranger KB /Music store rant................& Depressivness
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I try my best to purchase from local businesses, but sometimes that is impossible. I recently asked here about any Ovation dealers. I wanted to buy two Ovation guitars...a nylon string and an acoustic double-neck. They're available to be shipped today from Musicians Friend and other on-line vendors for $449.00 and $999.00, respectively.

I had heard bad things from the local dealer, but went to them anyway. The nylon string was supposed to be in over a month ago. After multiple visits and calls, a third contact at the store finally got one in. It was from one of the store's other locations, a floor model, and damaged. Plus, it was shipped with a bag, and was supposed to be in a hard case.

I was supposed to make a deposit on the double when I picked up the nylon string, since they wouldn't normally stock one. That was fine, but after waiting for nearly 6 weeks and getting a defective product and no action on the other item, it's no wonder some retailers are losing business to places like Musician's Friend. In this case, it wasn't about price. Actually, Musicians Friend and others offered free shipping, and the retailer has a policy of meeting their price, so I would have paid $90.00 additional for Ky. sales tax.

Sadly, when shopping for things other than musical equipment, customer service and follow-through have also all but disappeared, in some cases.

All I wanted to do was pay these guys $1500.00 and get what I wanted.

That's pretty sad...

Russ

#180132 - 03/27/06 10:01 AM Re: Aranger KB /Music store rant................& Depressivness
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Alex,

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex K:
Dave, for a 61 key instrument 41 lbs IS heavy..and a 61 key instrument should be lighter than that (ever heard of aluminum?). . There is value in encasing the instrument in steel, but these days it is not an indication of the instrument's durability - it is determined by the electronics inside, so if five years down the line an instrument becomes unserviceable due to obsolete electronic components, it will have to be thrown away just like the one with a plastic body.

Actually the Genesys case is aluminum. But inside there are multiple circuit boards, hard drive, floppy drive, CD-R drive, a real transformer so a real power cord so no external A/C power adapter is necessary which is not only an inconvenience sometimes but can also be problematic over time. These things add up to some weight and the metal structure inside the case is designed to properly support these components. The external case most certainly adds to the durability of an instrument. In a plastic case instrument where the circuit boards are screwed to the plastic, every time the instrument is picked up and the plastic flexes even slightly, that is putting stress on the tracings of the printed circuit board.

Also, we can still supply most parts for our instruments that are 10 years and older.

Quote:
To address some of your other comments: I have been to "small" specialty stores in my area which stocked arranger keyboards of particular makes (G70, and before that, Technics). I received the similar service to that in the GC - the salesman was all sales and no knowledge. The main difference was that they were insulting me with the car-dealer like pricing .

I agree that this is an issue. But I must say that a Generalmusic dealer has the advantage of my services. There is no one else in the US that is as familiar with the Genesys system or any of our products as I am. And I am on-call pretty much 24 hours a day. I am also always available to end-users or potential GEM owners via this and other forums, and by cell phone. I know of no other product support person who answers e-mails and forum posts at 3am after getting in from a band gig just so the customer will have an answer as soon as they log on in t he morning. I have spent my own time using my own equipment to create videos that are not just Look what I can do, buy me now but are informative and help to point out what can be done with the instrument.

Sure, some dealers overprice gear. Those are not the dealers that we try to seek out to become GEM representatives. This is one reason why the US is not flooded with GEM dealers right now. We are very selective as to who can carry our products. It is extremely important to us that those who sell our products take the time to learn how to properly support their customers.

Quote:
The poor sales are not all fault of the dealers - the manufacturers are in large part to blame. As earlier posts here stated, the newer models of the keyboards are my and large repackages of the old technologies... Heck, your own company touts Drake technology as the cutting edge of sound generation. Yet your GEnesys does not use it, even though it was introduced way after the Drake?......

Every company does some re-packing every once in a while. Generalmusic is far less guilty of that however. There are significant improvements or additions to each new model that GEM produces.

The DRAKE microprocessor is a very powerful chip. To offer a simple explanation, the design of this chip is such that there are no internal connections as there are on most processors. As an example, the CPU in your computer, Intel, Athlon, or whatever has certain pre-assigned functions. A software engineer creates his programming around those functions. In the DRAKE, everything must be written from scratch. The advantage is we can make DRAKE do whatever we want it to do without limitation. Of course this requires much more programming that a normal CPU. The decision to initially utilize DRAKE to re-create the properties of an acoustic piano was a good decision. To think that DRAKE will not be utilized in the arranger/workstation instruments is not true. But it does take time to design hardware and software. Eventually DRAKE will be the CPU in all GEM products. But the question is what can DRAKE bring to an arranger type instrument. Well, a lot. But the advantages were far more appropriate for the digital pianos at the time that DRAKE was finished.

Quote:
I believe that the main problem is not just the poor marketing, but that manufacturers think more about protecting their markets, than making what the players need/want. They deliberately hamstring their instruments, keeping the latest in new technologies as the selling points for their future supposed offerings, rather than maximizing the value and features of the current ones.

I dont know about the other brands regarding this point. But it is not true of Generalmusic. We have been the first to introduce many of the features that are now found on most all of the arranger instruments. I.E. Video output, internal vocal harmonizer, sequencers will full editing capabilities, the ability to load user samples, full feature sound editing, on-board hard drive, internal CD burner, etc.

I understand what you are saying and why you are saying it. But I do ask that you consider my responses.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#180133 - 03/27/06 11:20 AM Re: Aranger KB /Music store rant................& Depressivness
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Dave,

I am to trying to single out Generalmusic, as IMO they are at the head of the pack where features are concerned. However, the fact is that Genesys, with aluminum case or not, is still 41 lbs with only 61 keys. That is very heavy. The electronic components are not heavy if they are properly designed. I bet, all the cirtuitry inside Genesys, or any other keyboard, could be placed on two PCBs - an analog one and a digital one (a cheaper design with less magnetic isolation could fit it all on one board). The fact that a typical keyboard uses many PCBs inside, each of which has to be mounted on standoffs and interconnected with wire harnesses, supports my contention that a typical arranger tries to regurgitate the existing (and usually older) technology, without really having put the proper effort into the design of the instrument. I also well understand that Drake is a DSP chip, which requires programming around it. However, the Promega series has come up with the necessary programming already. Why not incorporate the best modelled piano into the arranger keyboard? Just think of how appealing to the customers the software updates would be that would add modelled sax, guitar, violin, etc? The customers may even want to pay to get those, if they perceive the updates as adding new features to the instrument, and not just fix bugs and operational shortcomings which should not have been there in the first place.

At the moment, the main differences between the all-in=one keyboard and a software based solution are the user interface and component integration. For the most part, the software users can not change sttings by pressing a single button, and are typically required to use mouse and multiple keystrokes on the QWERTY keyboard. In addition, the user has to carry the PC and a KB controller, instead of a single board. On the other hand, they have the advantages of being hardware-independent, such that should the PC fail, the software can be reloaded on the new one, and it will function the same as the one before. I believe that very soon the software based solutions will offer a viable alternative to traditional keyboards, unless the current manufacturers change the way they tread customers' demands.

I do not enjoy arguing. By posting my frank, and perhaps controversial, comments, I hope that the KB manufacturers will start taking users' needs seriously, and ensure their continued presence in the marketplace, instead of going the way of Technics. I believe that the competition is healty for the market and for the end users, and simply hope that we will continue having viable choices of the keyboards.

Best regards,
Alex

#180134 - 03/27/06 01:36 PM Re: Aranger KB /Music store rant................& Depressivness
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I am to trying to single out Generalmusic, as IMO they are at the head of the pack where features are concerned. However, the fact is that Genesys, with aluminum case or not, is still 41 lbs with only 61 keys. That is very heavy. The electronic components are not heavy if they are properly designed. I bet, all the cirtuitry inside Genesys, or any other keyboard, could be placed on two PCBs - an analog one and a digital one (a cheaper design with less magnetic isolation could fit it all on one board). The fact that a typical keyboard uses many PCBs inside, each of which has to be mounted on standoffs and interconnected with wire harnesses, supports my contention that a typical arranger tries to regurgitate the existing (and usually older) technology, without really having put the proper effort into the design of the instrument. I also well understand that Drake is a DSP chip, which requires programming around it. However, the Promega series has come up with the necessary programming already. Why not incorporate the best modelled piano into the arranger keyboard? Just think of how appealing to the customers the software updates would be that would add modelled sax, guitar, violin, etc? The customers may even want to pay to get those, if they perceive the updates as adding new features to the instrument, and not just fix bugs and operational shortcomings which should not have been there in the first place.

I think you mean you are not trying to single out Generalmusic. Thanks. I forgot to mention another reason for the weight of the Genesys. Anyone who has played the Genesys will note that the keys are full size in width and length (this doesnt really add any weight to speak of, but it is still worth pointing out) and the keys are also weighted. Each key has a lead under core to give the key substance and to offer a better tactile response. 61 little hunks of lead does add some weight to the overall unit, but again a good quality keybed is just another thing that the designers at Generalmusic feel is important in a professional instrument.

Regarding the concept of compressing multiple PCBs down to one or two; the DRAKE chip has the power potential to do that very thing. And dont think for a minute that it isnt being worked on right now. But being an engineer, I am sure you are aware that there is far more to it than programming a single chip. There is a lot of supporting circuitry that must be designed both for internal housekeeping as well as the user interface itself, the software then has to be written to make it all operational, and then debugged. The internal and external structure must be designed, fitted, altered, etc. This stuff takes time, period. It doesnt happen over night or even over a long weekend.

It sounds like a great idea to add the DRAKE chip to an existing product like the Genesys. And since both the Genesys and the Promega are already production instruments, it may seem that it is simply a matter of putting both keyboards in a softly lit room with a bottle of fine Italian wine and in about an hour or so a new product will magically immerge. Sorry for that, please take it as an attempt at humor and not sarcasm. Again I am sure you realize that to implement a new component into an existing system requires the original operating system to be re-worked, often to the point of having to completely start over. Plus there is the issue of internal hardware changes that must be made in order to have a place to put the new component, not to mention possible front panel changes related to the newly added features. Etc. etc.

Quote:
I do not enjoy arguing. By posting my frank, and perhaps controversial, comments, I hope that the KB manufacturers will start taking users' needs seriously, and ensure their continued presence in the marketplace, instead of going the way of Technics. I believe that the competition is healty for the market and for the end users, and simply hope that we will continue having viable choices of the keyboards.

Neither do I. And I am not trying to do so here. I am simply trying to point out some things that you maybe havent considered.

I am the first in line to want things to move much faster, but I have also been in and around the manufacturing side of things for long enough to know that things take time.

Please dont stop offering comments and suggestions, whether good or bad. Believe it or not, there are people listening. You are corresponding with one right now.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#180135 - 03/27/06 03:54 PM Re: Aranger KB /Music store rant................& Depressivness
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Dave, Indeed the line in my post should have read "I am not trying to single out Generalmusic".

Regards,
Alex

#180136 - 03/27/06 04:00 PM Re: Aranger KB /Music store rant................& Depressivness
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by WDMcM:
Donny,
the fact is, for many of these senior citizens going to weekly organ classes is a recreational experience where they get to enjoy the company of others in an environment that is fun. To see these folks share their pride with the rest of the class in purchasing the next level up instrument is heartwarming. Do I think the prices are overboard? Yeah, probably. But on the other hand, it is their money and if they choose to spend it on something that brings them joy and health (yes, I believe in the music wellness program) instead of leaving it to their relatives to squander, then I say more power to them.
Dave

That's how I see it as well. Excellent post, Dave.

Taike

------------------
Khoi huk ngam sud tee huk kon diow.

#180137 - 03/27/06 04:40 PM Re: Aranger KB /Music store rant................& Depressivness
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Dave, Indeed the line in my post should have read "I am not trying to single out Generalmusic".

Regards,
Alex

I know that Alex. lol

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#180138 - 03/27/06 04:55 PM Re: Aranger KB /Music store rant................& Depressivness
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
That's how I see it as well. Excellent post, Dave.

Taike

Thank you very much Taike. I have great respect for senior citizens. They have lived through many things, both good and bad and deserve the respect of others. It truly pains me when I see elderly people being taken advantage of or being disrespected, many times by the very people they brought into the world and worked hard to create a comfortable life for.

These folks absolutely live to go to organ class. Sure, they may learn a few songs along the way. But the joy it brings them to be able to gather together with others their own age that share the same memories of the past, and concerns for the future, without having to do so in the confines of an old folks home, well... that is priceless.

And it should also be pointed out that the stores and staff that offer these types of classes/social events are special people as well. Yes, they are running a business and expect to make an income, but still it takes a special person with a kind soul to conduct these types of events and to make sure everyone involved is having a good time.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#180139 - 03/27/06 05:17 PM Re: Aranger KB /Music store rant................& Depressivness
Dnj Offline

Loving seniors is fine and dandy ....but ripping them off with exorborant prices on items like organs, kbs etc baiting them with free lessons or whatever .....knowing full well they will never learn how to play a high tech $20,000+ organ with all its features in their life time let alone at 75-80yrs + is a crime in my eyes, & every chance I get I will tell them so if asked, I wouldnt want it to happen to my parents or anyone elses either......they would have just as much fun with a nice KB under $1000.00 and still enjoy the magic of making music without a doubt.....

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-27-2006).]

#180140 - 03/27/06 07:08 PM Re: Aranger KB /Music store rant................& Depressivness
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Ripping off people is never nice, no matter how old they are.Then again, being ripped off has nothing to do with age. I do know that when I am old and gray I'd rather live my remaining days having fun and, if my finances allow me, to spoil myself. Why would only the young have the best?
People complain about not having the time to cook but insist on having the grandest kitchen they can afford. No one calls that insane. If a senior citizen wants to spoil himself they call it Alzheimers. Just think of it, all the things they couldn't do or have before because of other responsibilities. So let them travel the world or buy the instrument they love to have. Don't most people buy a car model they really don't need as a cheaper model gets them to the same destination as well? I grant every senior citizen his/her dream to come true.

Taike

------------------
Khoi huk ngam sud tee huk kon diow.

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online