SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#180111 - 03/25/06 05:17 PM Re: Aranger KB /Music store rant................& Depressivness
MrEd Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Give me dean martin , perry como, johnny mathis any day of the week .....
best wishes
Rikki

I want the Chordettes singing, "Eddie My Love".

If not the Chordettes themselves, I'll settle for the MP3.

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 03-25-2006).]

#180112 - 03/25/06 05:51 PM Re: Aranger KB /Music store rant................& Depressivness
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Brickboo,
if you're after a sequencer with similar functions to the korg, I doubt the midjay would fulfill those requirements.
Have you tried downloading the manual.
I downloaded both the sd1 & the midjay manuals so that I could compare the differences before I bought. I thought at first it may have been the module version of an sd1 but it's not really.
The midjay is sort of unique.
It's got functions that the sd1 hasn't, & vice versa. Really depends on your requirements.
Download a manual,it should give you more of an idea.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by brickboo:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#180113 - 03/25/06 08:45 PM Re: Aranger KB /Music store rant................& Depressivness
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Rikki,

What board do you use?
I don't need the Midjay for sequencing. I have the i30; I have excellent BIAB tunes with the pedal jazz bass and drums accenting the 2nd and 3rd beats that I set for the intros and turn-arounds just like a real jazz combo. No arranger can do this.

I just want to add styles mostly for vocals, and I also like the ability to record live without an extra recording set up for live performance.

I'm not into Midi files that much. I have 8 or so that I got from Gary and DNJ that are identical to some of the Steve Tyrell tunes I do. And I have 6 or 7 identical Ray Charles tunes I enjoy like Georgia. Other then that I stay away from midi files. I'd rather comp behind my vocals and do a few licks between the lyrics and play a little solo here and there.

So the Midjay may be what I need. If I had the money and it wasn’t so heavy, I'd probably get a PA1X. To me for jazz it swings the best and I prefer the over all sounds on it of any keyboard I've played. And the 35 watt speakers would be perfect for the retirement centers I play. I have the amp set on 1 and it’s just about right for them. I think it’s a hearing aid problem.
Boo

#180114 - 03/25/06 11:01 PM Re: Aranger KB /Music store rant................& Depressivness
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:
Dave,

Now, I've never seen a GEM before. And if the answer to the following question is no, I don't need to see one.
Will the GEM in sequencing mode allow me to record 8 bars then copy them and paste them to bar 9 and then allow me to just record and change just the turn around that is just about always different right before the bridge? Then will it let me record the bridge and then can copy and paste the first 8 bars right after the bridge for a complete song? If so, will it then let me copy and paste the whole song for 10 choruses if I want? I think the old Yamahas made you record the whole 10 choruses over again if you made a mistake.

The answer is a big definite YES. The sequencer is very powerful. You can copy and paste to your hearts content. Editing can be done per track down to the individual pitch, bar, beat and pulse level. This is true for Erasing, Copying, Velocity Shift, Quantizing, and Transposition. You can also Move sections of a song (which is CUT and paste in the true sense of the words). There is a Microscope mode if you want to edit at the MIDI data level. There is a Master Track that stores the initial volume level of a song, the tempo and the song key (for the lead sheet display) and which of the 8 Song Presets will be active at song start. Of course all of these things can be changed anywhere within the song by inserting new values within the Master Track at the desired location.

The sequencer has 250,000 event memory. The Genesys can store up to 64 songs in its internal memory. The internal 20GB hard drive, floppy drive and CD-R drive can also play GEM Songs, MIDI files, mp3’s and Wave files. Any song located on the hard drive, no matter which of these formats, can be instantly recalled for playback using the Song Data Base and new Play List function.

I think you would be very surprised by the sequencer in the Genesys.

Quote:
If you don’t have the answer , please send me a copy of the sequencer mode on the GEM.

Well if I don’t know the answer, then I shouldn’t be the national product support manager for Generalmusic Corp.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

BTW: You do realize what I meant by One Finger Chord Mode, right? I was just trying to help you out there. I don’t really care to contact the guy from Korg, because I don’t really care to know the deficiencies or idiosyncrasies of the i30.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#180115 - 03/25/06 11:07 PM Re: Aranger KB /Music store rant................& Depressivness
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
We have the same problems in Australia with big stores in all areas of merchantdising.
It appears to me that they buy cheap not what the consumer necessarily wants but what they think they can flog quickly.
It always anoys me that when I need a specific item for a job around the house I can not find it in these stores.
We have a locally owned music store in Hobart where the main sales person is a Yamaha Arranger Player and I get good advice and service from him.

Cousin Ken

Cousin Ken

#180116 - 03/26/06 12:32 AM Re: Aranger KB /Music store rant................& Depressivness
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Brickboo,
I'm only a hobbyist, so I shouldn't really be getting involved. I ended up with the sd1+, because I wanted a dedicated arranger.
I Like playing round with style creation, and the midjay lacked that function, plus the sd has better arranger functions.
There again the Midjay has functions my SD1 doesn't.
There was a bit of a discussion a while back
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/012880.html
might be of interest.

below is a brochure , demo's etc, may be of help. It's kind of hard explaining what a Midjay actually is. . http://www.ketronus.com/midjay.htm

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by brickboo:
[B]Rikki,

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#180117 - 03/26/06 05:13 AM Re: Aranger KB /Music store rant................& Depressivness
to the genesys Offline

DNJ has touched on some real problems on arranger availability and sales in stores.

But I think that the arranger manufacturers are to blame for this.

Most times they release a new keyboard, it is usually just some small changes made to an older one. Then they charge unreasonably high prices.

The consumer, probably because they don’t get what they want on the new release, look for the cheapest price where ever they can find it (over the internet, out of state and so on). This hurts the local dealer. And as such, the local dealer does not stock the high-end arrangers because they are unreasonably priced and not enough persons buy from them to justify having on display.

Is this right, should it be like this? Absolutely not!!

Consumers should be able to walk in to their local music shop, see and demo their desired arranger and buy it from that local dealer at a reasonable price.

This would be good for all involved because the manufacturer would get their product displayed and bought so that they can fund R and D, the local dealer would get sales and customers to stay in business and the consumer would get a reasonably price high-end arranger and local support.

For this to happen, high-end arranger manufacturers must realize the change in times and adapt their business strategy as it relates to arranger product development, marketing and pricing.

Whether we like it or not, we are getting in to a more software based environment. Arranger manufacturers are competing in this environment. As such, new arrangers must be able to take software upgrades that can take new sounds and styles whether from the manufacturer or third parties. Interaction between the hardware arranger and a computer is critical for today’s musician.

Manufacturers must put some time and money in to marketing. That is not just to arranger players, but other keyboard players and musicians as well. Market an arranger the same or even a better way you would a workstation or new music software. That means you must have the hippest sounds and some styles on the keyboard itself. That’s not to say that you must eliminate the traditional arranger styles, but have some banks of sounds and styles catering to today’s sounding music.

The next thing is price. For at lease one arranger product, market penetration should be a strategy. Charge the same or even a lower price you would a workstation. Making a distinction between arrangers and workstations as it relates to price saying that arrangers have to cost more because of the intellectual property of styles and the technology is pointless. There is just as much intellectual property and technology issues as it relates to workstations and arpeggios as there is with arrangers and styles.

Remember when a keyboardist sees a new keyboard for the first time, they don’t see arranger or workstation they mostly see something to play that has great sounds and rhythms to make music with.

So to get arranger displayed in more stores, 1. it starts with a great sounding and user friendly product
2. and a marketing campaign to penetrate the market
3. and reasonable prices.

#180118 - 03/26/06 06:35 AM Re: Aranger KB /Music store rant................& Depressivness
Dnj Offline

I want to thank everyone for your inputs on this topic........

I cant see why they can't incorporate arranger styles & features within these great sounding workstations such as the Fantom, Motif, Triton etc ....many times I'll be in a store plaing a synth workstation and saying to myself " man if this thing only had some styles too "
its all about making music, or is it their way of making the consumer always wanting more but never can get it?
If you noticed compared to years ago new models are coming out less and less that says something right there, then if at all when they finaly come available they just make a few little upgrades, add a sound here and there, and above all most of the time never listen to what amature/profesional cutomers really look for or need but nothing groundbreaking exept the price....!!!! The next ten years is gonna be a big reassesment of things to come in music gear.....hop on the bus OR buy backups of what you love now ;(

#180119 - 03/26/06 07:40 AM Re: Aranger KB /Music store rant................& Depressivness
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I want to thank everyone for your inputs on this topic........

I cant see why they can't incorporate arranger styles & features within these great sounding workstations such as the Fantom, Motif, Triton etc ....many times I'll be in a store plaing a synth workstation and saying to myself " man if this thing only had some styles too "

Donny,

Please tell me what types of sounds you hear in workstations that bring you to make the above statement.

Thanks,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 03-26-2006).]

#180120 - 03/26/06 08:14 AM Re: Aranger KB /Music store rant................& Depressivness
Dnj Offline

Dave......I'm just saying in general..... some sounds not all, arppegios loops, just have a Richer Tone to my ear maybe due to efx, more poly, or whatever....not to say that many arrangers dont have some excellent sounds also in many top arranger KB's.......I would also like to see all the amazing worstation editing features,
plugins combined with an arranger KB.

.....As a side note......a while back I did play a Genesys pro in the music store you talked about 35 miles from my house..it was tucked away in a corner of the KB room all dusty....when I saw it I had to get a sales boy to come over put it on a stand and finaly hook it up to an amp for me to try out......although super heavy for my uses on the road.....I was impressed with all the great features for sure, I wish you were there to demo the unit ....I really needed more time to get into it fully, & of course the Tattooed green mohigan haired sales person had no idea at all about the Gen pro I was playing....so I had to get around the unit on my own......what is in the future for GEM as far as a lighter unit with many of the G pro features for the pro gigging musician?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-26-2006).]

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online