Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12 >
Topic Options
#179970 - 05/19/05 11:51 AM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by ailev:
After installing OS 1.10 I am completely satisfied. I think that with OS 1.10 G70 is good right out of a box.

Ailev: Please detail the dramatic sound improvements heard by you with 1.10, which now make the G70 sound good 'right out of the box'. Thanks. - Scott

#179971 - 05/19/05 12:26 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
pianodano Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by nielshs:
Hi

Here is a little demo http://nielshs.homepage.dk

regards
/

Just my opinion

The guitar chinks sound great. Drums are better than my Tyros but not quite as good as my PA-80 - Piano - I have a Yamaha p120 so I am spoiled. I was really looking forward to hearing a g70 so thanks for that. OH well, I can buy a lot of samples for 4 gs.

Danny

#179972 - 05/19/05 12:31 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
Tom NL Offline

Loc: Holland
Hi everybody!

As a few of you might remember I had my mind set to get the G70 also but hesitated for a few months. I tried it two times in the music store and once at a fellow member of the Dutch forum. I was not fully convinced at that time to trade in my Technics KN6500. I was still "in love" with the great looks and the suberb keybed of the G70 though.

Anyway, I tried it again when the 1.10 OS version was available. This time I didn't feel the need to switch of the FX button with each sound. I simply sounded GREAT.
To make a long story short, I got a good deal on trading in my KN6500 and have the G70 in my house for a week now.

I can only summarize my experiences with my G70 as very positive. It has by far the best sounds of every arranger I previously owned and as such is a great improvement over my KN6500. The styles seem to be very usable in practice. It took some time to get used to the way the fills and intros/endings are handled, but I feel comfortable with that now.

Some voices that really impress me are:
the Blown AltoSax and some more saxes, almost all the guitars are really great, the acoustic piano, the electric pianos, the harmonica, flutes, organs, pads and the vocals.

The realtime controll with the sliders is very nice and the way it handles midifiles is also good. I immediately found my way around on it so the OS is very intuitive, particularly when you consider all it's possibilities and features. Allthough I think it is more user friendly than the Korg PA1X-Pro I also think this board is not for the "faint of heart".

I have a lot of fun with it. And no, I am not going to post MP3's. I consider myself too much an amateur for that. My music is only to bother people at home ;-)

------------------
Tom NL

[This message has been edited by Tom NL (edited 05-19-2005).]

#179973 - 05/19/05 01:02 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Tom, maybe you can loan it to me...Maybe the SZ guys and gals will chip in on the transportation cost!!

#179974 - 05/19/05 01:19 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Andrew,
The Expansion boards available each have hundreds of additional sounds not found on the G70. Even if there are a few already in the G70, there's just so many additional sounds found on each of the cards.
I am turning on the Fantom X6 as I write this post to give an opinion on the piano sounds stock from the factory.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#179975 - 05/19/05 01:29 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
Tom NL Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Tom, maybe you can loan it to me...Maybe the SZ guys and gals will chip in on the transportation cost!!

Ha! As a matter of fact I am really anxious to know what you think of this instrument. If it where possible I would be more than happy to let you try it out.

I think I am not biased, and owned Yamaha, Roland and Technics arrangers before. If this one is not to my liking in the long term I would not hestitate to skip to another brand (if my finances allow it). But I am very happy with my new keyboard now. Although I already played it a few times before and knew a lot about it, I am pleasantly surprised by the way it sounds at home. It puts a smile on my face when I play it and I think that's what it is all about :-)

Tom.

[This message has been edited by Tom NL (edited 05-19-2005).]

#179976 - 05/19/05 01:37 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
OK,
I moved my G70 over to the same sound system as the Fantom X7 is plugged into through a pair of Behringer B2030A powered monitors and with no additional EQ, just flat! Here's the facts:
I put the Fantom on the first piano patch which is called "Ultimate Grand". I put the G70 on it's default Piano patch "Grand X".
From the softest played notes up to the hardest hit keys up to C4, they sound exactly the same. From C4 and up, the G70 becomes better to my ear. The soft through hard notes played on the fantom Ultimate Grand don't become as bright at the hardest hit levels, where the G70 will actually sound a bit more "live or real" when played very hard. I'm guessing this could because of the way they set the velocity levels for both. Maybe the Fantom can "get there" as well but not factory out of the box. So,
those that say the fantom piano and the G70 are not the same.......my opinion is that the G70 is even better out of the box, but maybe the fantom can be made to sound as good. Also, if you install the ultimate piano card from Roland into either board, this piano might even be more what you like. I however, really like the pianos in both keyboards stock from the factory.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
(Retired 2021)

#179977 - 05/19/05 01:38 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
ailev Offline

Loc: Moscow, Russia
Scottyee, I mentioned it already several times in SZ: sounds became better with OS 1.07 -- first of all basses less boomy, acoustic instruments more dry and crisp and brighter. I own VA-76, G70 not even comparable with it, it is from another category. This is first piano sound from arranger that have no electronics in it -- to my ear. And best keyboard action.

In 1.10 updated styles sounds more vivid and less boring. Sounds the same as at 1.07.

Now I am happy with G70.

#179978 - 05/19/05 01:48 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
Tom NL Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
OK,
I moved my G70 over to the same sound system as the Fantom X7 is plugged into through a pair of Behringer B2030A powered monitors and with no additional EQ, just flat! Here's the facts:

Thanks a lot for all your trouble George! I was curious about this comparison.

------------------
Tom NL

#179979 - 05/19/05 04:38 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
So George it can only be that the sales people at Sound control have not updated the latest OS correctly or the one in the shop is a dud ! Thanks for taking the time. So where doi go to hear an updated "opereational " G70 in the UK ? Anyone got any ideas ?

Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online