Topic Options
#180010 - 06/17/05 05:35 AM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
ironhill Offline

Loc: NRW, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by rolandfan:
Even my friend said " Wow... How come the Tyros Soprano sax sounds so real"

Hi (Roland)fan,
tell me, sound it like played by Sidney Bechet or played by John Coltrane? Or in other words: who plays it real?
Thanks
Hanspeter

#180011 - 06/17/05 01:58 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
i have tried to avoid posting to this thread, but its like the hole in the wall with the sign "dont look in here" ........anyhoo, i dont understand why there is so much confusion about this G-70, when Roland are just following their standard operating procedure, which is to take an existing framework, add a few things, re-model the casing and then flog it off as the "next big thing", they've done it with synths and arrangers since the eighties so why should this be any different, and really, the G-70 IS just a VA 76 with a few (slightly) different knobs, a few more EFX on the sounds, and i really think they didnt even bother with the styles, just relied on the tweaked sounds to carry them (the styles)..for an example just check out the base samples used for the sounds on the G-70 and then on the VA-76, you will find they are both essentially the same as the old original fantom series, which btw appear (gee thats a strange co-incidence) on the fantom X series as well, albiet with more, and more variation ....it is a well known industry fact that the VA-76 was a dog and did not sell anywhere near the units the bean counters at roland had figured, so the result of this was the G-70 so they could re-coup some of that with the smallest amount of new capital. imho, GOMO

dennis

peace, out

[This message has been edited by manic2257 (edited 06-17-2005).]

#180012 - 06/17/05 03:23 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Hi Dennis. This is different.Much much different.Actually demo the G70 yourself. I played the Va series when they first came out and the keyboard was ok , did not blow my socks off but thast just down to taste. But the G70 when it was first released sounded awful. I have yet to hear it sound even half way decent. We are not even talking Va series quality here. I have no idea what Roland were doing releaseing the keyboard sounding like that and then trying to save face by relasesing so called "upgrades of operating systems" supposedly dealing with the sound problems that almost everyone was complaining about . The sales and marketing manager at Roland really ought to be hung drawn and quartered(old English Torture ) as this marketing fiasco has undoubtedly killed off most of Rolands initial sales and certainly has created a feeling of mistrust towards Roland.
Big Big Big mistake.....

#180013 - 06/17/05 07:45 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
manic2257 Offline

hey spalding, i did have a hands on demo of the G-70, which at the time was sitting on the rack as the PA1x Pro so i got to do a bit of an a/b, even though it was only about 1/2 hour..i also owned a VA76, and now own a PA1x Pro..admittedly the time i spent with the G-70 was very limited, but as i scanned thru the in strument lists and then checked the samples in the manual it 1. sounded very similar, (although i will grant you, not as good as the VA-76) 2. and the samples were also very similar.
I too, like you it would seem, have lost all faith in roland, and i have bee loyal to them since the JX3P days, synths and pianos..but i do believe the almighty dollar has made the decision in this case, and thery have not released anything truly ground breaking for may years, current X series included apart from the 88 note sampled piano, which imho they should have had 3 years ago,,they had the technology, just chose not to use it.

dennis

peace, out

[This message has been edited by manic2257 (edited 06-17-2005).]

#180014 - 06/17/05 08:10 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
vano Offline

Loc: Ljubljana, Slovenia
[QUOTE]Originally posted by manic2257:
........anyhoo, i dont understand why there is so much confusion about this G-70, when Roland are just following their standard operating procedure

LOOOL!! Did you ever listen G-serie keyboards?! No, you don't! I don't care for VA or E or XXX-serie Roland's keyboards. We talk about G-serie and G-70 is a G-serie it isn't VA or some other serie. Then we'll talk and compere it with G-serie keyboards.

#180015 - 06/17/05 10:49 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
spalding Offline

So you got the Pa1X pro Dennis. Great choice ! I demoed the two boards next to each other as welll. What an instrument !

If i had the money there would be no hesitation. The Pa1X pro is by a long way the best pro arranger keyboard on the market today and i can only congratulate Korg on this technological achievement. Now all i can do is wait till the Tyros 2 comes out (no i probably wont be able to afford that either ! ) but hopefully the price of the PA1X will fall or there will be a flood of them on the second hand market as people get technology lust for the new Tyros. I live in hope anyway !

#180016 - 06/17/05 11:11 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
manic2257 Offline

hi spalding, yes i did and have not for one minute regretted it, i even had a bit of flirt with the genesys XP module, and whilst it was very good, it didnt quite match up to the PA1X..imho the only thing i'd like to see added, even though its not possible i dont think, is that chord composer thingy on that is on the Karma.and prob if Korg release an 88 note piano wieghted keys version of the PA or a module, i'd replace my pro..but thats all...again imho i reckon its the PA first, yammi a distant second, and the rest after that.

dennis

peace, out

#180017 - 06/18/05 06:38 AM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
spalding Offline

I heard you the first time Dennis He He He He

#180018 - 06/18/05 12:58 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
manic2257 Offline

oops, how did that happen? sorry spalding

#180019 - 06/18/05 04:44 PM Re: The TRUTH about Roland-G70
G Angel Offline

Loc: Ooltewah, Tn.
I see nothing short about the Roland G 70.
I have owned the G1000 for five years sold it got a Ketron X4 than sold it and got another new G1000 for two more years.
And for three weeks now I have had the G 70 and it is a fine keyboard.
The best arranger I have ever owned.

I also have the Fantom X 8

Page 10 of 12 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online