SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#179817 - 03/01/04 05:45 AM Re: Key to play in to suit ones singing voice?
Dnj Offline

Thre is no RULES for KEYS to sing in, every song is different depending on its Low/High Range. Just take the HIGHEST singing note of a song and see if you can hit it Comfortably, all else will fall underneath. Thst will be your KEY for That Song only.
Do the same for all songs. There are no standard keys to sing songs... Every song on my website demos are in Different keys..

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#179818 - 03/01/04 07:09 AM Re: Key to play in to suit ones singing voice?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
.... I hate it when people tell me to play something in "the original" key. I have no idea what that is most times ! I know it in the key I LEARNED it in, because that's why I learned it in the first place. I learned it to perform it myself, not accompany others in someone else's key...

I'm with you UD, and when we had the band in NY, very seldom did any of us sing in the same key as the original ... However, I find that many 'cover' bands or 'tribute' bands will only do the tune in the original key (whether their vocal range allows them to or not) because "that's what the 'crowd' is used to hearing" ... There have been times when I'll be trying a tune in different keys, and if my kids are around they will tell me which sounds more like the original ... Also most jazz musicians will do tunes (instrumentals, at least) in the 'original' key, which is generally the key found in a fake book or 'The Real Book' ...
t.

#179819 - 03/01/04 04:13 PM Re: Key to play in to suit ones singing voice?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Dave's right on the money. While singing hymns along with a CD at religious services, I notice that I strain on some tunes to hit an E and on another hymn I can hit it rather well. The word and the syllable make a big difference.

Many times it may be easy in a passage on a particular song to sing starting on C, then the D, and working up to the E. Then another tune may call for one to sing an A and then got straight to the E which may be impossible for that vocalist.

There are many factors involved when you get to the top of your range, wherever that may be. I think Eb for the top of one’s range might work for most vocalists. The Eb is about the limit for me 99% of the time. I think Dave said this in his post

I find that if I figure the tune to reach the top note at D or Eb it will work out for me. However occasionally I can do an E.

I think I mentioned this before. I’ve read or I've seen a documentary on TV that stated that Billie Holiday was not blessed with a great range.

Frank Sinatra could get up and down in the range he sang in. He was a baritone. Some of his stuff is hard to sing exactly as he did the tune also. Try the intro to “I get a kick out of you.“

Look at it this way; some of us can lay brick and Dave will never be able to lay brick because he’s to dang old to learn how! Besides, he couldn't carry all of those buckets of mortar around all day. He's not very good with buckets on any "GIG" I mean "JOB."

OH! I forgot! This is no joke I'm dead serious. Dave slipped the other day on the phone with me and said "GIG." I promised I wouldn't tell! Sorry Dave, "the devil made me do it."

[This message has been edited by brickboo (edited 03-01-2004).]

[This message has been edited by brickboo (edited 03-02-2004).]

#179820 - 03/01/04 04:26 PM Re: Key to play in to suit ones singing voice?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Boo,

He really didn't use the "G" word did he?

Tom

Tom

#179821 - 03/02/04 05:13 PM Re: Key to play in to suit ones singing voice?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Tom this is serious stuff man! You don't see Dave responding do you?

Dave I humbly ask your forgiveness man? I should never have broken my promise.

Can someone act as a go-be-tween. Dave is supposed to send me a floppy drive for my laptop he's waiting on.

Hope I didn't screw up again.
Everyone please send Dave an email interceding on my behalf would you?

Gary, did I spell everything right here? Let me know and I'll edit it. I didn't have time to run it through my word-processor.

Dave, again I'm sorry friend. I promise I'll never tell on you again. K?

I'm getting nervous, I never heard from him in a while. I hope it's just cause he's busy trying out the new pool with a "redhead" of some kind.

I keep putting my foot in my mouth. I'm gonna shut up now.
Dave's best buddy,
Boo

#179822 - 03/03/04 04:55 AM Re: Key to play in to suit ones singing voice?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
When in Rome ........
Use Romex!

I was talking with Boo on the pnone, and I thought I'd use his lingo so he would have to get the dictionary out during our conversation. It's tough when you have to spell out everything and explain each word with over 3 letters ......

(Just kidding Boo Baby !)

Oke here ya go ...... just for Y'All !

gigGIGgigGIGgigGIGgigGIGgigGIGgig
GIGgigGIGgigGIGgigGIGgigGIGgigGIG