SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#179792 - 03/24/01 10:05 AM Re: HELP SMF GERU Needed
Paul A Smith Offline

Hi All,

I use midi files on a regular basis just for listening pleasure on my PSR9000. Most of the midi files I use I have downloaded from the net, I would say 98% play perfectly, of the other 2% I have experienced the bogus handclaps, but you can be sure that just by looking on the net you can usually find an alternative programming of a particular tune with no problems.
I have personally found the free midi available on the net are usually much better than the stilted and predictable commercially available midi files, this is probably because the commercially available ones are programmed for profit and the free ones are usually programmed by someone with a real love for music.
I would also like to point out that a properly programmed XG midi file bares no relation to a GM/GS midi file in terms of quality when played on a PSR9000, the XG system is far superior, especially when playing XG files of big orchestral pieces, the quality of the individual instruments really needs to be heard to be believed and the XG system produces amazing analogue synth sounds which are just not available on a non XG yamaha instruments. In my opinion the PSR9000 plays standard midi no worse than any other arranger but does really exceed when playing XG specific files.
Some other arrangers are also marketed as XG compatible, KN6000 for instance (my previous keyboard), but I found it is infact a Pseudo version of XG which completely misses certain effects and features, at the moment the only instruments that are true XG are Yamaha.
If any Yamaha owners would like to hear some XG files, I could email you a selection, just send me your request by email.

Paul.

[This message has been edited by Paul A Smith (edited 03-25-2001).]

#179793 - 03/24/01 12:36 PM Re: HELP SMF GERU Needed
shiral Offline

Loc: IL, USA
I am sure most of you already know about
this, but thought I would post it anyway.

Shiral

Jan 19, 2001

Yamaha and Roland Agree to Cooperate to
Improve MIDI Data Compatibility
--------------------------------

Three-point agreement:

Yamaha and Roland have agreed on the
following three points.

1) Both companies will actively support the
GM2 Format established in 1998
(see Note 2).

2) Both companies will offer open access to
Yamaha's XG Format (see Note 3) and
Roland's GS Format(See Note 4).

3) Both companies will develop hardware and
software products to support all three
formats, i.e. GM2, XG and GS.

full story at
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/news/01011902.html

#179794 - 03/24/01 09:31 PM Re: HELP SMF GERU Needed
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Woah ! Lex Luthor & Superman are teaming up, huh??? That can only be a good thing for end users. Bravo to the big boys for trying to "play nice" together!
(Even Bill Gates & Steve Jobs get along sometimes )

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online