SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#179728 - 08/15/06 01:12 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
i have used the PAx1 quite a bit at home and in rehearsal. Its hard to answer your question in terms of the sampler load up times as it depends on the size of the samples that you are using.What you need is to look at what aspects of the sampler are important to you and then look at the competition. What other arranger keyboard has a fully functional sampler , able to read .WAV, AIFF, Korg and AKAI samples/multisamples,Where sampled sounds can be time sliced to create new grooves and kits, assigned to Sounds, or filtered, modified and processed by the internal effects ? But yes the keyboard is dead whilst samples are loading. However you can load up all the samples that you might need for a group of performance subject to the 32 meg limit. Like i said before if you can.Get into a shop and literally put the PAX through its paces and then compare it to what else is available on the market currently.

#179729 - 08/15/06 01:28 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
PS the polyphony is 62 notes. But it is not like 62 notes of polyphony through a yamaha or roland instrument. Have a search under polyphony on this site and you will see the subject has been done to death. I have not noticed any polyphony issues on the PAX1 using the sounds the board came with. But....some of the imported piano samples that i have used have created slight not drop outs when used in fuller arrangements particularly that involved lush string or rich organ backing styles. But nothing that has caused me any real concern.I have used both yamaha and now the korg extensively and i can tell you honestly i much prefer the Korg but others will obviously have their own views. I think you will find it very difficult to compare the PAX with any other arranger currently available because it has these three distinctive functions all present in one keyboard

1 Fully featured and functioning sampler
2 TWO fully featured and functioning sequncers
3 Sounds editable using just the keyboard

On top of that there is great Korg support and loads of sounds and styles floating around for free on the PA1X web site and forums.

I donmt need to seel the instriument to you. Play one and let it sell itself !!

#179730 - 08/15/06 03:00 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Hellboy
The Wersi OAS instruments (Which by the way have been on the market since 2000, with the software now up to V7) and the Mediastaion are computer based systems built into a keyboard, and so cannot be compared like for like with a hardware arranger, so have a look into computers, softsynths etc to get an idea of how they work. As an example, polyphony is not a fixed amount on these units, and so you have certainly misunderstood the 1024 and 2000 note polyphony.
Tip. Think of the Wersi OAS and Mediastaion instruments as a computer and controller keyboard with the addition of a software version of a hardware arranger.
Hope this helps

Bill

#179731 - 08/16/06 06:06 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I've messed with a Triton with the sampling option (PA1XPro is based on it, I think) and I know it loads slower than my Kurzweil, so 32MB of samples means AT LEAST 30-60 sec of totally dead time..... something you may not want in a fast paced show.

I would seriously consider a laptop and low-latency sound-card as an alternative to the Korg, probably allowing you to use a G70, something you're already familiar and happy with the basic sound of (it's got a lot in common with the VA-7).

Remember, as well, that if you rely on hardware samplers, even if they are big (512MB of RAM) and you load them up at the start of the set, if you have a brown out or power spike, there's 20+ min of load-up time before you can start again. UPSs are a MUST for your whole rig........

#179732 - 08/17/06 12:24 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Well I currently use - not an UPS per se, but a Powerboard with filters, and anti surge protection (one of those big, serious expensive boards - cost me nearly $300 Aud).

I thought a UPS would be too big/costly etc?

I take your point with a laptop setup, but I honestly find them (still) to be too unreliable. I'm happy to rely on one great keyboard that does it all, and an MP3 player (hell, I currently rely on - and have done so for 5 years - a minidisc for sequence playback, and a good old portable CD player for break music.

It's funny, our show IS energetic, and sounds great, but "back of house" I'm still in the dark ages.....!

I guess I'm looking VERY seriously at the PAX-1 to provide everything (with the MP3 and sampling options).....

Forgive me if I sound like a ninny here, but, whilst I have a kick arse computer at home, I plan to use that ONLY at home as the heart of my studio - and really only for recording the keyboard, some live guitar and of course vocals.

It seems that the keyboard sounds more natural (mainly with all the velocity switching - drums etc) I've never like the GM sounds on a PC, and am not smart enough to deal with software instruments.

To be blunt, PC's (live or in the studio) seem to be a 'guitarists thing".

As I am a professional keyboard player, I feel MUCH more confortable editing, playing and recording everything "inside the board".
Then let the PC record all that hard work!

Know what I mean?

Silly maybe.....

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#179733 - 08/17/06 07:52 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
Magica Alfa Offline

MEDIASTATION is good thing. I'm having one X76. Styles are better then in more keyboards as I tried. They are also balanced. You will not have a lot of work to start. But if you want something yours, you can open your mind here more as in other keyboards. You can load what you want. You can edit what you want. Also you can do your own style or song in Rosgarden (program is working in same way as CUBASE SX or CAKWALK or SONOR)
All is so simple and in one board. That is main thing. You can plug in also external big screen and you can work as with computer and playing a lot of things on (e.g. KARAOKE). You can do really what you want, but you must always thing with head.
B4 is well balanced sounds are standardized and same value as other things on keyboard. People of this company are really working for future. Open sources keyboards are good thing and you are free with your fresh ideas.

Best regards and lot of good music.

Magica Alfa

#179734 - 09/14/06 04:47 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
hellboy44 Offline

Just thought I'd update you guys (if anyone is even VAGUELY still interested).

Well, I cannot find ANY store that has a Korg PAX-1 Pro in stock!

I cannot try it out "in person", BUT, as of this writing, I've made the decision to purchase one "sight unseen" as soon as I get the funds and the right price....won't be tomorrow!

I have NEVER purchased ANYTHING without seeing it first, but I feel really confident after talking it over with you guys, and reading, well, just about EVERY review there is on this keyboard - to just go ahead!

If anyone has any (near) final thoughts on this matter in the coming weeks (or now) just let me know!

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#179735 - 09/14/06 05:03 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just make sure the store has a good return policy - restocking fees sometimes run as high as 20%. That's a lot of jack......

Polyphony is really my main beef with the PA1X. You start using a lot of arranger parts then play a bunch of stereo samples and your voice-count can disappear quickly. My take would be a Tyros2 or G70 and a rack Triton if sampling is where you're at, or pick up a used Akai Z4 or Z8....

But best of luck with your sight unseen purchase......

#179736 - 09/16/06 03:44 PM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
casiobot Offline

Just what kind of poly does the PAX1 have Diki? 32?

Hellboy,might as well toss in my 2 cents:
http://www.rolandkeyboardclub.com/v/prod_detail.php?id=225&selected=2&pagina=1

At the least it has 76 keys.The E-50 would probably be too *little*(61 keys) for your needs and the E-80 might be a somewhat over-inflated monster( ONLY 1100 panel tones,Roland?That's only 100 more than the 50 or 60)The G-70 looks like a bargain in comparison.

I myself am looking at the E-50 and that will give me some ample time to really suss out the specs and whatever.I mean Roland is really flogging the sound quality for the E series,but how much of this is brand new and how much is recycled JV/XV/blah,blah,blah?

I'll raise a Fosters in your direction as you continue your search!

[This message has been edited by casiobot (edited 09-17-2006).]

#179737 - 09/17/06 04:36 AM Re: WHAT DO I BUY?????
hellboy44 Offline

THANKS FOR THE CONTINUED INPUT GUYS!!

I was hoping there would be some other advice(in addition to the valuable opinions ALREADY in the thread so far)....keep it up!

So that's the new addition(s) to the E series!

Yeah - interesting - but what does Roland have against sampling????????????????????????

(Have I read the specs right? No Sampling, and 64 OR 128 polyphony depending on which spec sheet you read.........interesting!)

Ok thanks kindly I'll have to look at the E series again.

I hope sampling doesn't take up too many "voices" with the PAX-1 as I will probably use it in Styles and SMFs heavily if I can.

So would Polyphony STILL be a problem if I used (drum) samples/loops in the styles/SMF'S?????

Can't consider the Tyros - not 76 keys.
Had a play of one at the store anyway - not impressed - sorry NOT TRYING TO START A FLAME WAR! - I don't care or have any allegience to a particular brand.

Ok, let's just say the Tyros isn't for me.

Anyway, can anybody answer that Sample/Polyphony question?

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online