SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1773 - 04/11/05 08:08 AM k2000 sample midi dump????
sLOWER Offline

Loc: Zagreb, Croatia
Hi,
can someone tell me how to dump samples from Kurzweil k2000vp via midi to pc with awave 7.2 (sb live midi ports)?

#1774 - 04/12/05 04:09 PM Re: k2000 sample midi dump????
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Samples via MIDI? How much time do you wanna spend with your transfers? Did you ever think about a SCSI-Transfer?
A K2000vp ...what's the meaning of 'vp'???
I only know K2000, K2000R, K2000S and K2000RS (or newer types of it like K2500/K2600).

The K2k owns a floppy disc drive with a fast interleave (about 5 times faster than standard DOS formatted FAT12) which supports saving across multiple discs. I think there's a tool for windows (is it cakewalk? - I don't really know) which can read those discs and files. I've also heard about a programm which can paiste such splitted files together.

A Risc PC under RISC OS provides the posibility to read the K's discs (and also the Amiga's, Atari's, Mac's and so on discs). This strongARMed computer has no problems by reading those files but for this you have to use RISC OS 4.0 or later.

The last (but fastest) chance to transfer your waves is the SCSI interface. Connect your K2k with an external SCSI drive and from there build an external connection to your PC's SCSI card (if you have one). For this you'll need one of some special older drives supporting the old SCSI narrow (spec. SCSI-I with 25 pins).

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#1775 - 04/13/05 04:16 AM Re: k2000 sample midi dump????
sLOWER Offline

Hi Sheriff,
First of all thank You for reply ...belive me, the model is K2000VP,friend borrow it to me few days ago...I don't have any 25 pin SCSI and floppy does not work so this was only way to transmit...It is much easier to do something like this on my Fantom X with USB.I also had Triton Studio,Triton Le and now I'm waiting K2661 to ship next week...
Once again, thank You for advice
(Sorry,my English is not so good)

Best regards from Zagreb, Croatia
sLOWER :-)

#1776 - 04/14/05 06:42 AM Re: k2000 sample midi dump????
Sheriff Offline

No SCSI connector? The 'vp' is not a 19"-rack module?
The floppy drive doesn't work? Do you have a standard PC? If you do so then swap the two floppy disc drives. The K2000's floppy drive is a standard high density 1.44 MB drive. Make sure that you formatted the discs as MS-DOS format with 1.44 MB because the PC don't understand the K2000's disc format, but the Kurzweil understands the MS-DOS format. It's not THE speed like you would normally be used but it's one out of three possibilities.

Dumping the samples via MIDI is a way I've never used. It should be very easy but also very slow. I guess at first you have to make sure that your receiving device is ready for recording and then start your sample dumping. The start and end point of the sample should automatically be set in the right time. I hope so...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 04-14-2005).]

#1777 - 04/14/05 11:44 AM Re: k2000 sample midi dump????
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Yes, MIDI sample dumps are a very time consuming and unstable process.
The loop points aren't usually transmitted so you will likely have to specify them again.
In other words, it is a really ****ed up way of saving and transfering sample data.
If you can avoid it ; Do!

-ED-

#1778 - 04/15/05 04:00 AM Re: k2000 sample midi dump????
sLOWER Offline

Thank you guys."VP" is the keyboard synth,it has SCSI port,floppy is working... I have standard PC with Duron 1GHZ procesor and SB LIve 5.1 sound card...there are no such SCSI conectors...floppy isn't working.Today I'll put a new one.I use "aWAVE" program to convert and read all sample files...if you want I'll mail you a picture of "VP"...it looks the same as k2000 but the colour is purple and I belive there are some software differenties.

Now something about my Fantom X6... can you belive that k2000 piano, guitar, string, organ and pad ROM sounds are better sounding then X6??? K2000 has,I think, about 8Mb of ROM sounds without GM block or any other expansion card... Fantom has 128Mb!!! Three X6 ROM multisamples that I like are JD-800 piano, trumpet section and sax...hey,that are samples produced years ago!!!All new things like Stereo Grand Piano,Nylon guitar,Stereo strings are good sounding itself but put them into mix and they do not exist!You must use tons of EQ...and still that is not what it should be..put them to mono and it is Zero sounding.I put SRX - 10 Big Brss Ens (I like to play brass sounds..like that sound of that natural instruments)but those stereo 64Mb samples sound very nice playing itself,put them to mix- 0 points!What do Rolands ing's have in minds I dont know...maybe I'm crazy but I think that the best solution is to buy some older products(like d50 for pads and strings,Ensoniq,Kurzweil maybe Ketron)then spend much more money for new synths and at the end get some old multisamples(maybe) of earlier models plus some new nonrealible sounds + new operating sistems + bigger display(which do not need- all settings and editing or studio work can be done on computer)... I think that today most realible new sint could be a MOTIF ES, I tried to play a few notes and it sound very,very good... on the HK Audio stage monitor... I'm selling my X6,do you have any sugestion what keyboard should I buy to fit it with K2661(it's shipping at Monday)??MOTIF es maybe?or something older...

Best regards from Zagreb,Croatia
sLOWER

#1779 - 04/15/05 04:32 AM Re: k2000 sample midi dump????
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by sLOWER:
...if you want I'll mail you a picture of "VP"...it looks the same as k2000 but the colour is purple and I belive there are some software differenties.

Better you present it here on the forum so we can see it all. The Kurzweil's synths are really beauty ones...
But what means 'VP'? Maybe 'virtual prophet'...???

Quote:
... can you belive that k2000 piano, guitar, string, organ and pad ROM sounds are better sounding then X6??? K2000 has,I think, about 8Mb of ROM sounds without GM block or any other expansion card... Fantom has 128Mb!!!

I know that the Kurzweil's K-series were absolutely out of imagination in the early 90's and lightyears ahead of all other synth manufacturers. Until today the K-series still leads in the upper midclass. Yes, the K2000 has 8MB in the standard version and is expandable up to 24MB total ROM. The maximum sample RAM is 64MB if you have this option included. The programm RAM is expandable up to 1MB (you'll need more of this RAM if you extremly use the sequencer in SONG MODE).

Quote:
Three X6 ROM multisamples that I like are JD-800 piano, trumpet section and sax...hey,that are samples produced years ago!!!

I'm using a Yamaha V-50 workstation as a keyboard controller and in the most times I'm using the sound machine of it too. I really love the dynamics of the FM synthesis and the analog effects. If I tunnel these sounds through the effect channels of my mixer you won't hear any differences between them and high professionel sounds like the K2000 produces them.

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 04-15-2005).]

#1780 - 04/15/05 04:43 AM Re: k2000 sample midi dump????
sLOWER Offline

Hy,
Can You tell me how to post it to forum??

#1781 - 04/15/05 04:57 AM Re: k2000 sample midi dump????
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
...there are no such SCSI conectors

You need a SCSI card for it. Put it into your PCI slot and install the card driver. Make sure that the SCSI host controller supports SCSI I+II because the Kurzweil only supports SCSI I. The external SCSI harddisc drive will be connected with centronics adaptors.
DO NOT USE the SCSI drive from your K2000 and your PC AT THE SAME TIME!!!
Otherwise it might be too complex to arrange a SCSI chain between PC and K2000 because of the old SCSI standard (there are only 9 different types of SCSI drives that fit on a K2000!).

Quote:
...floppy isn't working.Today I'll put a new one...

Yes, that's a good idea...
And don't forget to format the floppies under Windows as 1.44MB MS-DOS discs. They will work in standard DOS speed but the K's disc format will shut down your DOS file manager by an undefined error (no error message appears). Only a hard reset will bring your Windows back to function.

BTW: I never fighted with such problems on my Atari Falcon 030...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

#1782 - 04/15/05 05:04 AM Re: k2000 sample midi dump????
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
...how to post it to forum??

You need a webspace where you can drop your pic and then integrate a link to the pic's webadress in your posting.

Or write a mail to Nigel, the Administrator, that you wish to show your keyboard in this forum. I'm sure that he would provide this little idea.

And I wish to see it!!!

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online