SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#17930 - 05/29/99 05:33 PM X5-DR multitrack without GM
Michael J Bradley Offline

Loc: Sarasota, FL 34238
This is a none technical, simple method to use the X5-DR and avoid GM sound.

I have found that by using MOTU Digital Performer which allows both midi and digital audio record/play back in the same window I can keep adding a midi track which is either program bank A or combi, then feed the X5-DR's output back into the Mac and record the signal on a stereo audio track in the same window that's playing the midi track. Now I have both a midi and digital audio track which are identical. Now switch off the midi track and listen to the audio while making the next midi track with either combi or program bank A. Keep repeating and build up a multi-track performance with unlimited stereo tracks all using full combi or program bank A sounds (not general midi). The finished piece can be mixed, panned or have any number of effects added in 'post' using the power of Digital Performer. All done with the excellent X5-DR.

#17931 - 05/29/99 11:31 PM Re: X5-DR multitrack without GM
WS Offline

That is the process of recording any combi from any synth (Korg, Roland, Kurzweil, Peavey, Yamaha....etc.) to audio on any audio/midi sequencing program...(Cakewalk, Cubase,etc.) in order to record combi or program banks and use their original effects and controllers. You can check out the older post on Harmony Central from 3 years ago if you want to know how to do it. It's always good to find someone that post how these are done for newbies though. Good job Bradley.

#17932 - 05/30/99 09:32 AM Re: X5-DR multitrack without GM
Michael J Bradley Offline

Loc: Sarasota, FL 34238
Sorry if this was all a little obvious to the experienced! As a total newbie I was faced with a weekend of trying to fathom out how to get around the limited sound quality of the GM sound banks and eventually figured it out and thought others may have benefit from my experience. A nice added bonus is the fact that there is always a midi duplicate of every audio track so changes can always be made and the audio recreated. Isn't technology wonderful?

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online