SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#178937 - 02/23/02 06:11 PM PSR2000 style selection LED lights question
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
I just noticed that the LED lights on the style selection do not light up until you load a style in that catagory. Is this the correct way for the style LEDS to function? The voice LEDS light up when you push a selected button right away. I haven't played my keyboard very much since I received the 1.20 version and I don't recall if the 1.0 version was like this or not. Could some one tell me if this is correct? Thanks so much!

-Linda

#178938 - 02/23/02 06:32 PM Re: PSR2000 style selection LED lights question
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Linda
I had a psr2000 and I had all kinds of problems, like LED`s flickering (some in the Registration Bank others in Record functions {track 1+2} ) but if I rember the LED`s SHOULD NOT come on until you store data. The problem I had was that they would flicker even when no data was stored. Also do you notice any "hiss or noise (like wht. noise) coming from the speakers, even at min.vol.? Other than that do you like your 2000, I liked the way mine sounded , I would still like to get another one hopfully one that is not defective, I couldn`t even store data in the one I had. I would like to know how you like yours, it would be a big help. I`ve been torn between trying another one or another brand but to get all that you get with the 2000 you would have to spend twice as much! Any best of luck and I hope I have helped ,
jedi

#178939 - 02/23/02 06:54 PM Re: PSR2000 style selection LED lights question
LindaFus Offline

Jedi,

Thanks for answering my question. Yes, the style lights come on only after I load a style. I guess then that is the proper function. I just wanted to make sure.

I just started to save data on the board. It all works fine. This is my second board. The first one I returned because of scratches however, that one was a lower version OS and worked very nicely as does this one so far.

No, the speakers are crystal clear no matter how high or low I have them. No hissing no lights blinking etc. Both have worked just fine for me. I will try saving more data to the board and recording with it as well, to be sure its working properly. I did the system check on bootup and it all checked out. The test checked the LEDs but I wasn't sure of the proper function.

Too bad you got a bad one. I really like mine. I hope none of the problems you had with yours comes my way! Thank you for your input.

-Linda

#178940 - 02/23/02 07:05 PM Re: PSR2000 style selection LED lights question
jedi Offline

Hi Linda,
Glad I was able to help, like I said I would like to get another, hearing that yours is fine, maybe I just got a "defective unit" and will try another its just there are no places in area that sell them and if you have to return them the s/h can be costly any ideas where to get a good one?
Best of luck and thank you for your input.
jedi--- PS : I`m sure yours will ge fine

#178941 - 02/23/02 07:24 PM Re: PSR2000 style selection LED lights question
LindaFus Offline

Jedi,
I purchase mine from Dan O'Neil (Guitar Center) who is a member of this forum. There was a 30 day return policy on the board. While it was shipped to me UPS,I was able to bring my return to a near by Guitar Center for an exchange. I had a very good experience with the whole sale. I would buy from him again without hesitation. Here is his email address if your interested.

oneils4@comcast.net.

Take care,

-Linda

#178942 - 02/23/02 07:29 PM Re: PSR2000 style selection LED lights question
jedi Offline

Hi LInda,
Maybe I`ll give it a try! Thanks for the help!
jedi

#178943 - 02/23/02 08:27 PM Re: PSR2000 style selection LED lights question
RicRob Offline

Loc: Bethlehem, PA, USA
Hello Jedi Lindafus
I've seen your comments regarding the PSR2000 and hope you don't mind that I throw my two cents into the hat. I have the unit about 3 weeks now, the manual is shopworn.
I think the keyboard is fantastic, even though I'm still having so many problems trying to figure out some of the functions. At this point my biggest dissapointment is the manual (maybe it is just my stupidity). This frustration presents some concerns - is the unit faulty or is it my fault trying to figure out how something should work.
I also own a Technics KN5000 for over three years. Each keyboard has its pluses and minuses, coinciding with my personal likes and dislikes, but the electronic advances over the years has certainly put the 2000 in an unique category and that being a lot of keyboard compared to many higher priced units. I am still exploring the features of this unit and everyday I am more surprised of what this board can do. Hopefully someday I'll be able to operate it with it's full potential.
So needless to say I am very well pleased so far with this kb. You expressed your problems and dissapointment with a previous unit you had. Certainly hope if you decide to go for another 2000, it will be A-OK.
Take Care and Have a Great Day

#178944 - 02/23/02 08:50 PM Re: PSR2000 style selection LED lights question
jedi Offline

Hi RicRob,
It`s not supidity, the manual is very confusing, if I remember it`s down-right frustating at times. And your right, to get all that you get for the money it`s a good deal if I try another one I just hope I`ll be as happy as you and Linda. I`ve owned many KB`s, several Yamaha`s, Casio`s and a few Hammond`s so far. If I had to pick an "easy" manual I would have to say that Hammond gets my vote, but it`s just one instrument with todays KB`s your dealing with many instruments and parameters. I bet that even a few months from now you`ll still be finding new and great things about the 2000. I would almost put it like this, it`s kind of like a video game without a hint book. Now if we can get somone to write a "hint book" for the 2000 we`ll be all set!!!
Best of luck and welcome to our world you`ll get a lot of help and support here.
jedi

#178945 - 02/23/02 08:58 PM Re: PSR2000 style selection LED lights question
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by LindaFus:
I just noticed that the LED lights on the style selection do not light up until you load a style in that catagory. Is this the correct way for the style LEDS to function?

Hi Linda,
Yes, this is correct. The Style bank LED light does not change until you actually select a specific style in 'another' bank.

Btw, since your keyboard has OS version 1.20, I was really hoping you could check to see if the 'left' voice is now stored in the 'voice' section of Registration Memory 'Contents'. The older OS version stores the 'left voice in with the 'style' data in Registration Memory.

You can easily test this by un-checking all boxes in Registration Memory 'Contents' EXCEPT 'Style': put Checkmark in 'Style' box only. Then try storing different main, layer, and left voice combinations in Registration Memory Buttons 1,2 3, 4. If the Left Voice changes when you select Reg Memory Buttons 1,2,3,&4, then the Left voice is indeed now stored in the 'Voice' parameter section of Registration Memory. Please report your findings. This information will be VERY valulable and helpful and you help will be MUCH appreciated. Thanks. - Scott

#178946 - 02/23/02 09:05 PM Re: PSR2000 style selection LED lights question
jedi Offline

Hi Scott
Are you happy with your 2000 other than that? I`m getting realy close to trying another!!! thanks best of luck!!
jedi

#178947 - 02/23/02 10:17 PM Re: PSR2000 style selection LED lights question
Scottyee Offline

Jedi,
Yes, I'm still very happy with the PSR2000. Afterall, I had initally only purchased it as a backup board to my Technics KN5000, but quickly found myself taking the 2000 to my gigs instead. The great thing about the Yamaha PSR boards is the wonderful highly talented and supportive USER community of PSR owners. Thru the terrific talent & generouosity of Mike Bedesem, a couple of new software utility programs (available for free at: http://www.svpworld.com/psr_software.htm )which make working with Yamaha Midi files in Cakewalk Audio/Sonar (as well as other external software midi sequencing programs) much better. One is called 'Chord Assistant', which preserves the Yamaha proprietary chord changes when a midi file is exported to an external software sequencer. Another, which I just beta tested today, corrects a anomoly which transposes some of the Yamaha tracks when they are exported/played in Cakewalk.

In the meantime, I'm still anxiously waiting to find out what the new Technics KN7000 (possibly showcased at the Musik Messe Show in Frankfurt in a couple of weeks) will bring. - Scott

#178948 - 02/24/02 04:52 AM Re: PSR2000 style selection LED lights question
LindaFus Offline

Hi Scott!

Gee, I have had this board for a month now and this if the first or second time I have used it. If only I didn't have to work! I would have MORE TIME TO PLAY!

I tried saving the left voice, as you instructed, with the first four registration keys. YES, the left voice changed in the menu each time I pressed a registration key that I had saved a different voice to on 1,2,3,4. Thank you for the very detail instructions. Thats exactly what I need to learn this board. Hope this information was helpful to you.

Now that I have a general idea on how to save the registrations settings I am going to continue with that area to learn it a bit better today.

BTW, how is the book going? The manual is SO BAD! Its just too difficult to figure out the ins and outs of this board with the manual. It simply is not descriptive enough for me. I really need another manual!

I hope no one minds the simple minded questions I have. I know you professionals can pick the functions up right away without looking at the manual because of your vast experiences with many different boards. I do not have that experience. Something as dumb as whether the lights should be on or off while in a function is important for me to learn. This information should be in the manual as well. Maybe it is and I did not find it.

-Linda

#178949 - 02/24/02 05:30 AM Re: PSR2000 style selection LED lights question
Beakybird Offline

Linda,

I was very confused by this feature as well. I almost returned the keyboard back to the seller after even Yamaha, when I called technical support, didn't even confirm that there was nothing wrong and actually recommended that I return the keyboard.

I think it was Scott or George Kaye that informed me that this is the way the keyboard works. I had to call UPS to cancel the pickup.

So I am wondering if there is any way to freeze just the left voice on a style with the version 1.20. If not, I'm definitely not upgrading.

Larry

#178950 - 02/24/02 06:12 AM Re: PSR2000 style selection LED lights question
LindaFus Offline

beakybird,

I almost called poor DanO again! Ha-ha Good thing I can ask questions on here! I am sure he didn't want to hear from me again so soon! hahahaha

OK when you say freeze. Do you mean hit the freeze button? Tell me what to check and I will do it. Be specific though. Pretend you instructing a 12 year old ha-ha. Be glad to check it out for you. I will try it and see if my version of freeze is what you are looking for. Meanwhile elaborate on what you want me to check.

Glad to help while I have some free time here.

-Linda

#178951 - 02/24/02 06:15 AM Re: PSR2000 style selection LED lights question
LindaFus Offline

beakybird,

I hit the feeze button and no matter what style I chose tha left voice stayed the same. Is that what you mean?

-Linda

#178952 - 02/25/02 08:52 AM Re: PSR2000 style selection LED lights question
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by LindaFus:
BTW, how is the (PSR2000)book going?

Linda,
In light of the recent Yamaha PSR2000 developments (lack of flash rom support) and a busy work schedule, I've decided to forego working on a PSR2000 specific book. I've decided to work on a book project on arranger keyboard playing 'in general'instead. I've come to realize that writing a book takes more time and commitment than I originally realized. Still . . . I may surprise you (with a book) sooner than later.

Linda, I agree that the PSR2000 manual is seriously deficient and poorly written. Thankfully, we have many knowledgable PSR2000 owners here who are always available to answer questions. Even with its problems (mainly the absense of flash rom), I continue to recommend the PSR2000 as a great 'value priced' lightweight gigging keyboard capable of delivering a highly professional sound. - Scott

#178953 - 02/25/02 10:43 AM Re: PSR2000 style selection LED lights question
Beakybird Offline

Dear Linda,

Can you get it so that the left voice stays the same but the right voice changes?

Larry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online