SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#178911 - 09/16/04 02:22 PM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Scott, Hmmmm OK...you have much more patience then I do

Unfortunately, I had NO CHOICE, at least in this case. I'm at the mercy of Yamaha & the repair shop they recommended I use. - Scott

#178912 - 09/16/04 02:23 PM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Scott, my heart goes out to you, I faced having to part with my keyboard recently, and the thought was horrifying.

IMHO, I believe they should build these keyboards like desktop computers so you can fix them at home by installing a new part or modular board yourself, you could then send the old part back for credit if it was faulty.

------------------
Graham

[This message has been edited by PraiseTheLord (edited 09-16-2004).]

#178913 - 09/16/04 10:21 PM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:

Sometimes they forget to reconnect all devices as HDD's, FDD's, control-panels or sliders during re-assembly.

One time with my 9k they, [the so called yamaha repair TECHIE] forgot to reconnect the LCD Light for the Display Screen after replacing a key contact strip, I didnt know it until I was on stage....I had to do the whole 4hr gig with a freakin flashlight to see the screen settings Arggggg! When I brought it back to the shop the next day 80 miles away round trip "AGAIN" he said I would have to leave it for about a week till he can get to it because thre wee othr ahead of me....I went nuts!!! in the store and he fixed it Immediatly on the spot,...
it was his error!!!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-16-2004).]

#178914 - 09/17/04 05:19 AM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Scott said:
I presented this request to Yamaha USA (Jason Lee) and he told me that Yamaha USA does NOT provide customers with loaner keyboards. In addition, I was also advised that Yamaha will not (under any circumstances) provide customers with a 'new' REPLACEMENT keyboard, and that the only thing Yamaha is willing to do is replace exisiting parts until the problem is resolved. I supposed, contrary to Chico's experience of receiving a brand new replacement keyboard from Yamaha, Yamaha USA does things differently then Yamaha Brazil. I only wish I was living in Brazil now.

This is the true :
In my issue, the entire merit goes to my Yamaha local dealer and dealer sales man.
The sales man knows that I cannot have just one day without my kbd.
Yamaha do not know who is Chico.
I think that is the more important issue.

Chico

#178915 - 09/17/04 06:36 AM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Scott,
Speaking for myself, I use the USB connection very sparsely and I only try it when I have a certain number of operations to complete. As I already had reported, I also realized that the connection isn't 100% reliable. However, with patience I get my USB operations done using both operation modes. It doesn't "pay" (for me) all the hassle trying to get the connection fixed. I'm far away for a Yamaha repair center (the rep is a spanish company.. ) and I tend not to trust repair centers unless I know very well their reputation. Unlike Yamaha, Roland has a very good support in Portugal in case something goes wrong. I undertand how fragile is our position, as costumers...

OT observation: this topic was "dead" for a while, as Scott brought us his good news. But as soon as the bad news came... Is this a good lesson about the "human nature"?...

-- José.

[This message has been edited by Route 66 (edited 09-17-2004).]

#178916 - 09/17/04 07:00 AM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Route 66:
OT observation: this topic was "dead" for a while, as Scott brought us his good news. But as soon as the bad news came... Is this a good lesson about the "human nature"?...
-- José.

Speaking for myself: I was pleased when I heard the good news but didn't feel reacting untill the problem WAS solved. Well, it wasn't. And then - when I read the posts of how Yamaha USA handles this - I felt like reacting. In this case "human nature" has to do with "replaced anger", I mean the "if-this-happened-to-me" feeling. Besides I think Scott is a really cool guy and very talented and doesn't deserve this treatment. Yamaha (USA) should appreciate this guy.

------------------
drdalet

#178917 - 09/17/04 07:45 AM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
I'm sure each of us has a good reason for reacting/not reacting to a post, sometimes so simple as having/not having the time to reply. But I was thinking of more general reasons. I have frequently the impression that humans tend to pay more attention to disasters and bad news (by sympathy or other feelings?). The media seem to know to explore this tendency in a very efficient way! Just my thoughts, of course.

You are absolutely right, Scott deserved a better treatment, but we all are in the hands of the dealers. We are lucky when we get the respect of one. I don't have Ketron equipment anymore but while I was a Ketron their support in Portugal was none less than excellent.

-- José.

#178918 - 09/17/04 09:06 AM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
If/when Ketron and Roland bring a new flagship arranger to market, I'll be interested.
My experience has been that Yamaha support is far better than Roland in the US though.
DonM

#178919 - 09/17/04 10:33 AM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by drdalet:
I think Scott is a really cool guy and very talented and doesn't deserve this treatment. Yamaha (USA) should appreciate this guy.

drdalet: Wow, what a welcome 'ego boost' to make my day. Thanks.

To Yamaha USA's credit though, even though Yamaha has'nt (at least yet ) gone 'beyond the call of duty', both Steve Deming (Yamaha USA customer support mgr) & Jason Lee (Yamaha USA PSR hardware technician) have BOTH been corteous & prompt in returning my phone calls, of which I'm very appreciative. In addition, Jason has assured me that he has given my case the 'highest' priority, and promised to immediately start working on my keyboard the moment it arrives.

Quote:
Originally posted by Route 66:
It doesn't "pay" (for me) all the hassle trying to get the connection fixed. I'm far away for a Yamaha repair center . . . and I tend not to trust repair centers unless I know very well their reputation . . . I also realized that the connection isn't 100% reliable. However, with patience I get my USB operations done using both operation modes.

Hi Jose. Yes, I too was initially able to tolerate (albeit begrudgenly) the Tyros flaky USB reliability when it was 80-90%. But over time, the USB reliability has fallen to 50%, 30%, 20%, 10%, and now (as well as for the last couple of months) it's 0% (completely dead!) in BOTH operation modes: USB-Storage Mode and File Utility.

Because I continously need to add/edit/delete files on the Tyros hard drive, regular data back up to PC, and then to DVD/CD (for safekeeping) is essential. Short of performing backups via the keyboard's built-in floppy disk drive 1.44kb at a time , the ability to backup via USB is mandatory.

As far as trusting the reliability of repair facilities, in my case, I'm keeping my confidence up that now having sent my unit directly to the manufacterer (Yamaha USA), that they'll be able to correctly diagnoise the problem fix it once and for all. Please wish me luck.

Scott

#178920 - 09/20/04 12:42 PM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
Scottyee Offline

Just received notification that "the Eagle (that's my Tyros ) has landed" at Yamaha USA in Buena Park, CA. The Yamaha USA Tyros technician assigned to work on my keyboard has informed me that he is getting started right away to checkout my keyboard to determine and fix the USB problem I've been having. I'll keep you guys posted. - Scott

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online