SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#178901 - 09/16/04 08:16 AM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
Scott, I'm sorry to hear that your problem was not fixed.
I hope Yamaha gets it fixed & back to you in a hurry.
Wishing You Good Luck
Denny

#178902 - 09/16/04 08:23 AM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have also followed your story, but I've been extremely busy and haven't posted much.
I don't really use the USB connection much. I used it to upgrade the OS and occasionally use it to play a midi file from the computer and have had no problems.
Come to think of it, I only used it maybe twice to play midi files, and that was months ago.
Anyway, good luck. You'll do fine with the 2k.
DonM

#178903 - 09/16/04 10:35 AM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
I must send my congratulations to Yamaha local dealer (A Serenata).
Last year I had a problem with my Psr 2000, 7 months old.
Just a phone to the salesman ( Mr. Miqueias) and I received a brandnew keyboard in the SAME DAY.
An attitude of respect with a profi musician.

Chico

[This message has been edited by ChicoBrasil (edited 09-16-2004).]

[This message has been edited by ChicoBrasil (edited 09-16-2004).]

#178904 - 09/16/04 10:57 AM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
SD_FAN Offline

Loc: São Paulo, SP / Brazil
Scott, I think that your Tyros´s USB problem reflects a little in each Tyros owner!!!
I used the USB occasionally without problem, but.....I´ve noticed sparks when I insert the USB cable and this isn´t good for eletronic equipments.
Here in Brazil if it happens a similar problem, certainly I´m going to stay without the keyboard for a long, long time.
Good Luck.

Armando

#178905 - 09/16/04 11:38 AM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Scott.....Silly question...did you try your Tyros BEFORE you left the repair shop after driving all that way?

Donny, that was not possible.

Please re-read my initial post again. Here's what I said:

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Unfortunately, because the repair shop doesn't have a computer which includes a USB port, or Yamaha Tyros software installed, they weren't able test & verify whether their USB board & diode replacement successfully fixed the problem or not. I'm gonna drive back tomorrow morning and bring it back home and test it myself.

Scott

#178906 - 09/16/04 12:02 PM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
Dnj Offline

Scott... in that case I would have brought my laptop to the repair shop & definitly tested out the KB "IN THE SHOP"....

Forgeddabouttit!!!..I dont trust these techie nudnicks ...I've had so much screwed up repair work it ain't funny which cost me money & time....you gotta stay on top of these GEEKS big time!!!!

Consider it lesson learned

Hope it works out in the end for ya!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-16-2004).]

#178907 - 09/16/04 12:50 PM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I dont trust these techie nudnicks ...I've had so much screwed up repair work it ain't funny....you gota stay on top of these GEEKS big time!!!!

Donny, this particular repair shop and repair technician (head technician) was not a nudnick. This repair facility was recommended by Steve Deming to me, and is also highly respected & used by the top pro musicians in the SF Bay Area. The technician worked closely with Yamaha USA on this job. Part of the problem is that Yamaha did not provide them a schematic of my keyboard, so the repair tech had to confer several times (at length) over the the phone with Yamaha USA in order to get the USB replacement part installed properly. Though I don't know the root of the problem, my local repair technician advised me that when he went to replace the USB port, the original factory USB port soldering joint was bad (cold solder joint). I trust that the replacement board was installed correctly according to Yamaha's (via telephone) instructions. It will be interesting to find out what Jason Lee at Yamaha reports back after he reviews the situation upon inspection. - Scott

#178908 - 09/16/04 12:57 PM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith W. Bailey:
We do not know each other, but I feel that I do! You have ability to use any keyboard and please anybody! You are talented, yet not stuck-up and will help anyone. We value you and appreciate your input.

Your kind words have lifted my spirits greatly. Thanks Keith for your support. - Scott

Many thanks to everyone else who responded (both here and via private email) as well. I just received a telephone call a little while ago from Steve Deming (Yamaha USA) and confirmed to him that even after the recent USB Port hardware upgrade performed on my keyboard, I'm still getting no Tyros/PC 'USB recognition' in BOTH of the two possible Tyros to PC USB connection modes:

1) USB-Storage Mode (HDD)

2) Yamaha 'File Utility' software vers 1.2.0 program

I also confirmed with him that Jason Lee (Yamaha USA repair technician) has now given me a Return Authorization Number, and that I am sending my Tyros today to Yamaha USA for evaulation & repair.

Quote:
Originally posted by drdalet:
This stupid USB problem Scott's Tyros has should be handled by Yamaha on their costs. It should have been fixed a year ago.

drdalet, Unfortunately, the first obstacle was the challenge of getting Yamaha to acknowledge a problem in the first place. The next step was convincing them to correct it, and the last step is waiting for them to finally take corrective action. Unfortunately, this process has taken over a year. As far as repair cost goes, Yamaha has agreed to foot the bill for parts & labor, and return shipping back to me, but I must bear the cost of shipping my keyboard to Yamaha ($85).

Quote:
Scott should be given a replacement Tyros so he can carry on until his own Tyros is fixed.

I presented this request to Yamaha USA (Jason Lee) and he told me that Yamaha USA does NOT provide customers with loaner keyboards. In addition, I was also advised that Yamaha will not (under any circumstances) provide customers with a 'new' REPLACEMENT keyboard, and that the only thing Yamaha is willing to do is replace exisiting parts until the problem is resolved. I supposed, contrary to Chico's experience of receiving a brand new replacement keyboard from Yamaha, Yamaha USA does things differently then Yamaha Brazil. I only wish I was living in Brazil now.

Quote:

Yamaha acts like the USB is something special that needn't be working.

I'm not sure if I'd go that far, but for me (and many others I'm sure), USB connectivity is definitely an essential feature of the keyboard, especially for those of us with optional hard drive installed. I view transfering Tyros files to/from my PC & backing up the Tyros hard drive an essential (daily routine) activity, and anything short of being able to do this, an invitation to disaster (ei: hard drive crash).

As my patience grows thin (I'm actually known for being a pretty patient guy), I'll continue to remain hopeful that Yamaha will be able to quickly find a solution to my problem, so I can finally get back to making music & gigging with my Tyros again, afterall, I really do love this instrument otherwise. Stay tuned.

Scott

#178909 - 09/16/04 01:45 PM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
Dnj Offline

Scott, Hmmmm OK...you have much more patience then I do.... ......but like I said.....
I hope it all works out in the end for ya buddy!

#178910 - 09/16/04 01:53 PM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
Roel Offline

Donny,
I'm afraid you are very right about repair-jobs. It is hard to believe those guys could not arrange a PC just to verfy/check the replacement. Almost every house 'owns' 2 or 3 computers.....

I learned the lesson : NEVER trust those guys but check while you are in the shop !!

Sometimes they forget to reconnect all devices as HDD's, FDD's, control-panels or sliders during re-assembly.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online